EDUCATE YOURSELF

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like watching lectures on academicearth.com :)

P.S. Typing in all caps online makes the person feel like they are yelled at. o.o

See thread title.

SophiaGrace said:
I like watching lectures on academicearth.com :)

P.S. Typing in all caps online makes the person feel like they are yelled at. o.o

See thread title.

I'll check out academicearth.com! FYI I like my thread titles in CAPS; it makes them easier for me to read and find on the forum. I've always done it that way, always will:) I wrote one post recently in all CAPS not to "yell" at the person but as a way to convey EMPHASIS of how strongly I felt. However, your point is well taken! Since people can't read minds they should communicate and ask questions for better understanding. Posting on the internet doesn't hold a candle to human vocal inflection:)

SophiaGrace said:
Well, if you look up Netiquette in a search engine and come across an article on the subject it usually does mention the use of CAPS. Just thought I'd mention it. :)

http://www.livinginternet.com/i/ia_nq_basics.htm

Thanks for the link, but I'm well aware of the USUAL meaning of using CAPS. I'm not a newbie to posting on the internet. I'll always welcome anyone to ask me to clarify anything I post. So, let's get this back on topic and continue EDUCATING OURSELVES:)

Confession time:

I get the possessive pronoun its and it's mixed up. At least until now I have. :p

I don't typically use punctuation online unless it's a question.

In the past I know I said could of instead of could have. I wonder if I still make that mistake. o.o

And I think I confuse effect and affect.

That treatment was effective.

I was affected by that disease. (did I make a mistake?!?! Someone please correct me.)

I also get confused by the punctuation signs : and ;. When do I use those things?!?!

SophiaGrace said:
And I think I confuse effect and affect.

That treatment was effective.

I was affected by that disease. (did I make a mistake?!?! Someone please correct me.)

Yes, those are correct. The fast-and-dirty rule for effect/affect is that most of the time, you will be using "effect" as a noun (impact) and "affect" as a verb ( to influence).

"What was the effect of your job loss?" (noun)

"How did losing your job affect your family?" (verb)

I say most of the time, because "effect" as a verb is usually used in expressions like "to effect change," meaning to cause change, and "affect" as a noun deals with emotion:

Three months into his tenure as Governor, he has still failed to effect change." (verb)

"Dr. Swerdlov was concerned about his patient's flat affect; she spoke in a toneless, almost emotionless voice and her facial expressions lacked her usual liveliness and animation." (noun)

You used adjectives up there in your examples, which make things a bit murkier, but remember that

"effective" = able to produce a desired result"
"affected" = "influenced," "touched," sometimes "harmed," depending on the context

:D English is fun!!

Hmm very interesting. o.o I'll have to figure out a way to remember what you've said.

Latest posts

Back