Effect of location on lonliness?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madeybell

Reaction score
I live in a good size town but it's very family-oriented. There aren't many "in betweeners" like me (late 20s, not married.) All my friends here are married and while I do hang out with them, it's obvious that their families and other couple friends come first. I'm not a "top priority" for anyone besides my parents. Even this afternoon I texted EVERYONE I know in town and no one is available to do anything this weekend. I would kill to just have a friend I could even watch a movie with besides my parents (not that I'm not grateful to them - without them I would have zero social life some weekends.)

The social groups here were formed years ago. People make friends at a young age and keep them forever, which is great...if you can get in on it. It seems that every time I meet someone I'm interested in being friends with, they already have their own close circle of friends and aren't interested in newbies.

It's not that I'm trying to blame everything on where I live, but when I vent these feelings to my one close friend (who lives 14 hours away) her theory is that I need to move to a big city where there are more social opportunities. I would consider moving, but I recently got a new job I really love, and it's not really an option to quit any time soon. Plus I actually like everything about where I live besides my lack of friends.

I just get so depressed when weekends approach and I realize that I have nothing to do and no one to see. If it weren't for my parents, I could lock myself away in my apartment the entire weekend and none of my friends would notice. I regret not forming deeper friendships when I was younger and people my age actually cared about making friends. Now everyone seems happy with the way things are and I'm left wondering how I missed out on it all.

The parameters of loneliness does not have boundaries. Loneliness follows you. It is without time, space, and distance. It is a personification of everything you hate ! It will follow you no matter what - whether it be a big city or a small town.

Latest posts

Back