Enjoying solitude

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 16581

Reaction score
I have a reasonable social life, and some friends (both male and female). I hang out with them, play video games, go to pubs etc with them. Generally I'm not that social, but I'm not a loner either. I've never been particularly skilled at social interaction; I'm always 'the weird one' of the group, although I don't particularly mind this. I find I can fit in, but it takes concious effort to conform to social expectations etc, it doesn't just come naturally.

I often spend long periods alone, and whereas 'normal' people would actively seek out social interaction, I'm quite happy on my own.
I find that I actually very rarely get lonely when I'm alone, the vast majority of the time I'm happy just living in my own little world. I found this website during a lonely moment, but they are few and far between.
I'm quite introverted, and although I do enjoy social interaction, I find too much draining because I can't fully relax with other people. In fact, when I go out with my friends, I know that I would be just as happy if I had just stayed at home alone, and at home I would have been able to relax and not have to think about social norms and expectations.

People often say that you should just be yourself, and not adhere to social norms to keep for the benefit of others. However I've found that just being myself entails very little or no interaction with other people. It's not that I dislike other people, I just have no need to be with them. This leaves me with a problem though: although I'm happy to be alone now, in the future I don't know if I will become more sociable. But by that time all my friends would have left. I would be a creepy loner. Once you have no social circle at all, particularly as you get older, it become much harder to make new acquaintances. One of the main reasons I continue to put time into my current friendships is so that I keep a foot in the door, as it were, to a social circle.
What I worry about most is being happily alone now, but then growing older to find than I have no support network. By then it might be too late to build up friendships.

I realise this is a website aimed at loneliness, but does anyone else find that they can happily spend long periods of time with no human contact (other than the cashier at the shop) and have no feelings of loneliness, or any desire for human company?
The maximum time I've spent without any human contact has only been a few weeks at a time, but I've found that after those few weeks I would actually have preferred to continue in solitude rather than have to deal with people.
Has any one tried living completely alone for months/years? Where you happy at the beginning, but then as time wore on began to miss people? Or did you just sort of separate off from the real world, and live happily in a bubble?

tl;dr I prefer to spend time alone than with people, but only very rarely get lonely. Am contemplating a life as a sort of hermit, not seeking out social interaction, not having friends etc. and being happy. Any thoughts?

Live and let live? If that's what you think makes you happy then keep being happy. I for one love social interaction, it's just I don't get out ever. >_>

Maybe you could keep doing what you are doing now-spending a lot of time alone, which you enjoy, but keeping in touch with friends at irregular intervals so that you don't end up with noone at all in your life. I'm alone and really hate it, but we are all different, and if it works for you, this is fine.

It kind of went anti social for a year after a LT relationship.
For a little while it worked. I had life burn out sort of speak.
Eventaulky that solitude turned into isolations.

Yes, that balance. Or lack there of.
I went into a deep depression and all sort of anti socual
Behaviors that i didnt have before.
It took me a good yr to climb out of the hole i dugged for myself.
Not obky did my mind adjusted to my self imposed prison...
My body did too.
i got physically ill being around humans.

I had to take baby steps getting back to the main stream.

Im in a relationship, now.
I dont have social support net work as i used too
If i was kiving in ny home town.
Im not seekiing to build a close relationship
With anyone ekse then ny fiancee.
A balance has to be estabkish within our relationship
Also.
Im easy going for the most part.
Being social isnt my top priorty.
However i still must maintain human
Inneraction face to face..

Im

Im more selective to whom i ket into my life.

I do have friends and people i know from
My cbikdhood or HS on FB..
Jrs not face to face.

Being a male and a provider.
.Most of my time is spent making doe...
Balancing between love, work and play
Had always been a challenge in my life.
Even when people thought I was living a normal life.
More often than not i was at work...
Gking home to my family and soending time
With my love ones was my social circle
Then expanding that...
As you said...keeping my foot in the door.[/align]

I did enjoy my solitude for a while, after a long time it becomes difficult to live with.

I enjoy solitude but not to the point I would not have any friends at all, no contact with people at all. Emily Dickinson comes to mind : she was a hermit but she had visitors and she wrote a correspondence to a few trusted friends.

Latest posts

Back