Err

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phyxi

Reaction score
I need some advice.
Um..I think this post belongs here, because it's related to low elf-esteem, and I guess, shyness. Anyway, here we go...

I have had a friend for a couple of years now, who makes short films here in Australia. Finally, he is starting a full length film, having gained fiances from a film company. I wish my friend every bit of luck, but am also slightly jealous of him because I've always wanted to be a film director :p But, anyway, that's not the point.

Little did I know is that my friend had in his mind a spot for me to act within the film. I want to do it, so badly, but I feel like if I say "yes" to the offer that eventually I'll get in front of everybody and freeze. I don't like being around bunches of people, or even my friends sometimes, so how can I stand in front of a crew of people? I have very low self esteem, and I want to take this opportunity, but I already know I'm going to say "no" because of my self-confidence issues. I know it sounds like a stupid situation and most people would say "yes" as soon as the words shot out of my friend's mouth, but I just .... can't.

What's wrong with me? How can I get over this?!?! Should I push myself, or back away? Backing away sounds like the better option. GAH!!!

Oh it's a hard one isn't it? I could just say.....try it. It's worth it. But I understand how paralysing the fear can be.
I always wanted to be an actor/actress. never had the nerve. Now i am 42 and it feels like a lost dream. I guess I can only say...if you decide to try it, then you are very brave and wonderful...and i will be here to applaud you. If you try and freeze? I will applaud you for trying. If you cannot find the courage to try now....I would support you to try again some time.
Just don't give up on it.
.....but go on...give it a go. The worst that can happen is to make a fool of yourself. That really aint so bad in the big scheme of things. :D

Dooooo...it :)

Write "YES" on a piece of paper then give it him.lol

It'll be good for you...facing your fears.
Plus you're have fun once you get going and you'll be very proud of yourself.

You'll also get to experince or see how films are made.
If you're clever...after your friend take a couple dozen shots of you (different angles)...
hit him over the head or pioson him...this way you can just take over and direct that project:p

If you want to do something badly then do it. I have a whole list of things I wish I did and later regretted I didn't. Big mistake

Get into the mind of the role you are playing and convince yourself that it is real

Go for it!

I feel you should absolutely do it. Not only are you getting the opportunity to face down and conquer your fears, you're getting the chance to GET PAID FOR IT!

Think about it industriously, as a job. I know I always functioned better in social situations while working; I had no other choice. This could be the first step toward a more confident you.

Congrats on the opportunity, and good luck!

Go for it.

Feeling nervous around groups of people does not mean that you will freeze when acting - indeed, my experience is that it is easier to tune other people out when you are concentrating.

Spare said:
I feel you should absolutely do it. Not only are you getting the opportunity to face down and conquer your fears, you're getting the chance to GET PAID FOR IT!

Think about it industriously, as a job. I know I always functioned better in social situations while working; I had no other choice. This could be the first step toward a more confident you.

Congrats on the opportunity, and good luck!

exactly what he said, just get rid of the proper grammar, add a few yorkshire saying and cheap jokes and stick a smilie face at the end of that post

:)

Do it. You'll regret it forever if you don't. Courage is found in doing the things that you're afraid of.

Learn your lines so well that you don't have to think about them. Trust your friend's instinct as a director. Much of the responsibility is on his shoulders.

Acting not about playing the part, it's about becoming the part. Meaning that the actress in a film is most convincing when she feels the characters emotions rather than her own. View this as a chance to be someone that you're not. Is the character that you'd be playing shy, submissive, afraid of large groups of people. No? Well, it's better if she's not.

Thank you for the encouragement, everybody. I appreciate it... I think I'll try and give it a go, and see what happens.

I guess I don't have anything to lose..

Phyxi said:
Thank you for the encouragement, everybody. I appreciate it... I think I'll try and give it a go, and see what happens.

I guess I don't have anything to lose..

good for you :D

hope things go well... and let us know how you get on

Latest posts

Back