Ever been so lonely that you can't even go to sleep?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SomeoneSomewhere

Reaction score
Well, I love sleeping but it is the "going to sleep" part that gets me. As soon as I lay my head on a pillow, my loneliness comes back to haunt me. I wish that I had someone to talk to (the proverbial '3 AM Friend').

Most of the days, I go to sleep by fantasizing about the kind of life that I want (fantasizing that I have it) - loving friends, a home of my own, a girlfriend maybe, etc.

But some nights, I just get too practical.

Anyone else been there?

I have trouble at night too and I think being a lone is a big part of it. Having a girlfriend or wife or whatever won't fix my problem. I need some kind of social circle or group of friends or even a few good friends who don't necessarily know each other. Lol.

Anyway, I am an insomniac but that's a bit more complicated. I'm actually used to being a lone but that doesn't mean I like it.

SomeoneSomewhere said:
Well, I love sleeping but it is the "going to sleep" part that gets me. As soon as I lay my head on a pillow, my loneliness comes back to haunt me. I wish that I had someone to talk to (the proverbial '3 AM Friend').

Most of the days, I go to sleep by fantasizing about the kind of life that I want (fantasizing that I have it) - loving friends, a home of my own, a girlfriend maybe, etc.

Anyone else been there?

I think your just over thinking. If you have issues or problems then this tends to be the time you think about it, weather you want to or not. This is hard to avoid, the only thing to do is what you said, think about things that makes you happy; but i'd make sure it's something I already have/do, that way you won't dwell on not having it.

No - Going to sleep is the best part of my day because I have awesome dreams that is like straight out of a fantasy novel.

When I feel that bad it usually is worse in the evening/night so yes I understand that.

I usually wait until I'm as tired as possible before I go to sleep. My problem is that I don't want to wake up.

I have this every night. Tonight was difficult, 5am now and still can't sleep.
People from my old school were all at a huge party and no one invited me. I wouldn't of went anyway, because I would of ended up sitting alone, drunk, and miserable. No one speaks to me at parties. I guess I'm so shy that it comes off as boring.
My so called 'friends' all went to town and even told me about it. "Sorry, gtg to town, meeting up with the others :) bye!"
I used to be that "other". Now I'm just... Invisible. And they wonder why I don't go out much. .-.
Hope you get to sleep better. x

No, actually I usually fall right asleep. But I have woken up during the night then have a hard time getting back to sleep when being lonely gets to me on those days.

I get this too, just that it's not so much cos of loneliness, but more of other thoughts that are very active in my mind. I think this is also why I'm having sleep problems, where I'd fall asleep and then only to wake up in a couple of hours.. just laying there, usually just awake, sometimes feeling anxious.. and I'd have a hard time going back to sleep.. and then when I do, I gotta be up in a couple of hours for work. Sucks really.

Yes, I totally get what you mean. I've been having trouble going to sleep early the last few nights. It comes and goes. When it happens all I can really think of is how to distract myself until I can fall asleep and that's usually by wanting to talk to someone who will make me laugh or something so I don't have to think about why I'm awake doing nothing at 1 am .

Hope you don't get too practical anymore nights so you can go to sleep.

I don't usually have any trouble falling asleep early, however as of late I've been waking up in the early hours of the morning after having very much sleep. Some nights I sleep better than others though. I usually start to feel lonely when I'm wide awake at night when I am trying to get asleep and when I am being ignored by certain people especially my Brother (I enjoy it when me and my Brother talk and have a laugh, but sometimes he just ignores me because he's too busy on the computer usually playing video games). I think a lot about relationships to, how I've been let down by certain individuals and I hope for the day that I don't have to be alone anymore.

I find that my loneliness is worse when I wake up. Loneliness is a constant presence in my life, but waking up to another day with noone special to share my life with does get to me.

when I was in my 20's I did have trouble sleeping. I was always miserable, down, depressed, asking myself what was so wrong with me ? Why women didn't like me ? - it was on my mind all the time !

Now I don't feel like that at all.

SomeoneSomewhere said:

Anyone else been there?

Yeah, I try not think about stuff like that once I decide to go to bed. I just get ready for bed and go to sleep, otherwise I will lie awake for a long time and think about ALL my problems. I then wake up tired and angry, which makes my day even more difficult.

My days already suck because I'm depressed about stuff, so I try to make sleep my reprieve. It's the one time when I can be free of my thoughts!

duff said:
when I was in my 20's I did have trouble sleeping. I was always miserable, down, depressed, asking myself what was so wrong with me ? Why women didn't like me ? - it was on my mind all the time !

Now I don't feel like that at all.

What changed? Did you find a woman, make peace with yourself, or do you just not care anymore? If it's the last one, then please...TEACH ME! :)

Latest posts

Back