Fantasies - can they heal?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glowgirl

Reaction score
Hey!

I just want to unload some of my feelings a bit. I'm 42, well on my way to confirmed spinsterdom (yup, even got cats!) and due to long standing social problems, I've never even been on a date. At school, I was the ugly girl (to some), and in my twenties, the boring girl. In my thirties I haven't been known for anything much but I'm really still getting over all that honeysuckle from earlier. My attitude to my situation is if somebody comes along, then good, but it's not worth all the hassle oing out on the dating scene etc would be, I don't think I could do it. Mostly I don't really mind being alone. But my problem is I miss the LOVIN ACTION I've never had! Even fantasies have become destructive for me, because reality always impinges somehow. For a long time I used to fancy someone who would make eyes at me in private but turn his back on me in public. That went south when he slept with someone else in front of the whole office and started bitching about me. Even having crushes on actors etc makes me feel bad now, the slightest little thing reminds me they wouldn't speak to me if they knew me (I know they're probably not who you imagine anyway). Basically I've been through so much any thoughts of someone touching me easily turn to poison. I need to imagine someone who I would fancy, who actually wants a quiet shy chick, and who has nothing to do with anyone real, and it's REALLY HARD!

Where do you start with the perfect, totally imaginary lover?

Never a bad shout to immerse yourself into some good books - ones where the characters really evolve over the course of the story and there is a love interest; but the love interest is only a sub-plot to the real story line. I have often fallen in love with characters from a book because they were so well written and when I'm feeling down I could imagine myself sharing a drink with one or going for a walk etc.

I'm not going to lie to you - I don't think its the healthiest thing in the world; but for me it works.

I am a huge lover of fantasy books and as such would recommend many for the way characters evolve and how you come to buy into the story line.

If nothing works, maybe a male prostitute? They are cheaper than the girls...

You sound like such a nice intelligent lovely person. How would a club for fantasy card and board games strike you? as a complement to fantasy novels. It's a fun past time and you'll meet folks and interact and have fun hopefully even if you are shy. There may be all age groups. 13-70. This may sound so practical. I can feel your lonelyness though and if it is to be listened to and not have advice given I'll respect that.

Love is almost always both pain and healing. The older one gets most people get more set in their ways. One doesn't have to live together but one can be the wonderful visitor in each others life.
Good luck on you

Felix said:

HAHAHA! Can't think of anything more embarrassing & hideous. God knows who moonlights as a male prostitute. I would be paying in cash only. No banking details...

Glowgirl said:
Felix said:

HAHAHA! Can't think of anything more embarrassing & hideous. God knows who moonlights as a male prostitute. I would be paying in cash only. No banking details...

for you, I would drop the charges, and give it for free :D

My fantasy is to have friends, a soulmate and to be happy with myself. unfortunatley, "Fantasy" means something that is very far away from your reach... so it sucks.
Anyone here knows Nine Inch Nails (NIN)? There is a song called "Something i can never have". In a verse it says: "...I jus want something I can never have" thats what happens to me

Ugly in school. Boring in 20's. Sounds like me lol. The reason for the second one at least is that I was forced to grow up prematurely. It's no biggie though. T'is but a scratch in my memory :p

I agree with you to an extent. Thinking about someone I know and like is far better then thinking about anyone else. You just need to get back out there. Go out with workmates. Take on hobbies outside of work :D

Latest posts

Back