Feeling old at 19...

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They say that your childhood and your teenage years are the best years of your life. Ask anyone what age they would like to be, most will say something in the region of 17 - 19. From now on, it will probably all be downhill, a slow process of decay until you are a lonely and bitter old man in a nursing home watching daytime tv, crying yourself to sleep at night at the realization that you have accomplished nothing in your life, and that no one really cares about you.

Caesium said:
They say that your childhood and your teenage years are the best years of your life. Ask anyone what age they would like to be, most will say something in the region of 17 - 19. From now on, it will probably all be downhill, a slow process of decay until you are a lonely and bitter old man in a nursing home watching daytime tv, crying yourself to sleep at night at the realization that you have accomplished nothing in your life, and that no one really cares about you.

Wow, you're too frikin bitter.. even regardless of the fact that I started this thread.

I felt that way too when I was 19.
Lots of responsiblities thrown at ya eh ?
Yeap..it seems so, so over whelming at first.
The cops or society dosn't mess around anymore do they..
No more mommy picking up the mess and whining will get you want
you want anymore...lol Hopefully we'll come out of that self pity...
some sooner, some later. The **** human brain dosn't fully develope
until we're in our mid 20's. Maybe the pain will get us to recognized
self pity dosn't work worth a fresia...lol I've been there and done that too..
So...don't trip.lol

I actaully got married when I was 19...crazy responsibilites.
I had to grow up fast, it wasn't just about me anymore.
I made plenty of mistakes. i was scared shitless too.
So don't be so hard on yourself.

However there is freedom with that responsibilties.
Life is just beginning..you're life. You can be and do anything
you want to be. Belive in something or not.
Well fresia that honeysuckle...man . i don't have to live my life like
someone else did or what they belive in. i can't help it of some
people wanna percieve life as crappy and no fun.
I mean you can always change your mind about feeling old.
That's what cool about being 19...experince a new freedom.
Being able to make our own decisions and be accountible for them.
19 is a cool age..man. Old enough to care and young enough to not give a fresia.
Smart enough to be dangerouse....lmao
The trick or key is..to know what to care about and what not to give a rats ass about.
It other words... Being appropricate.

Don't be afriad to ask for help. Try to keep a
positive attitude. Learn from your mistakes.
You can always learn from others mistakes too, ya know.
You don't have to re invent the wheels of misery and chaos.lol
Some poeple will teach us what to do.
Others will teach us...what not to do...lol
Stay teachable and always willing to learn and grow.
It's okay to not have all the answers...just the onces you need
at the moment or stage of your life.
And by all means...love and charrish yourself. Even if it seems like
no one cares..and sometimes...no one actaully don't care...lol
The lesson or key is...I have to care about myself reguardless.
My life begins with me...at my very core of being. First things First.
If i have to live with myself 24/7...i might as will start being nice to me and care about myself.
Will...that's some major responsiblities...right there, aint it ?.lol
Making myself or chosing to be happy inspite of all the BS takes lots of work and responsiblities.lol

Live life oneday at a time becuase that's all we have and will
ever have is today. We're always in the today, this moment
no matter how young or old.
The stuff of yesterday and tommorow..that's just stuff that gose spin around in our heads.lol
well...chose the positive good stuff and let go of the bad ones if it's going to spin...you have a chioce. (if you can't be in the moment)

Caesium said:

Or you can decide to take hold of your life. Steer in the general direction that you want. Make something of yourself even if it is only you who feels accomplished. If you believe it will all just go downhill then... yeah, it's all gonna go that way. That's just my opinion. I can't say that my teenage years were good at all. Actually, they sucked. I'll be damned if I allow the rest of my life to play out the same way.

ExtensivexLDL said:
Feeling old at 19...

You can feel old at about any age. It doesn't necessarily last and hopefully at 19 it passes quickly.

Caesium said:

That's kind of a generalization, isn't it?? There's no way in hell I'd want to go back to my teenage years - they sucked big time. Personally, I find it's the opposite - the older I get, the more content and happier I am with life. Of course, I still struggle from time to time, but generally speaking, life is way better. For me, it was finally learning to let go of all the trivial little bullshit matters that can torment a person, and just letting things be as they are....

actually childhood nostalgia is probably just becuase of rosy retrospection, -apearntly a reeal term from my psyche class. Truth is everything looks better in hindsight. Adolesnce is crap, acne and false friends that are just plain lazy exams and gettting up early,

i'm not gonna miss it, well i'm going to miss having my parents pay for all the good stuff like insurance electrity, food ect

don't worry man you're gonna be fine.

Caesium said:

I'm not trying to get down on you, but what would you consider it to be like when you're twice that old? (which I'm already past. ;) )

I kinda feel older at 21, simply because I can't relate to anyone my age. They're all out partying and drinking, four wheeling or dirt biking, snowmobiling or camping, etc.

Meanwhile I fuss about saving money to invest and following the economy, enjoy reading more than snowmobiling (which I have tried), and enjoy the company of people 2 and 3 times my age far more than I like being around the rest of my generation it seems.

I mean, I do fun things. I like to take trips, I like to fish and go exploring, I want to get a mountain bike, etc. But I'll never understand the party thing. I can't imagine anything more miserable or pointless or dumb.

I only thought that during the age of 17-19,there are more activities that you can do with friends and it is the period of time where people becoming "mature" in their friendship.

Mature in the way that they communicate better to friends
Give and take in common interest

I could say it is the bloomy period of friendship.

:p
Lonesome Crow said:
Lots of responsiblities thrown at ya eh ?

Yeah.. sorta.. Plus me thinking back to how much I missed out on also when I was in my mid teens.

Lonesome Crow said:
I actaully got married when I was 19...crazy responsibilites.

That's.. insane.. Were you pressured by your gf or something? lol :p

Lonesome Crow said:
I mean you can always change your mind about feeling old.
That's what cool about being 19...experince a new freedom.
Being able to make our own decisions and be accountible for them.
19 is a cool age..man. Old enough to care and young enough to not give a fresia.
Smart enough to be dangerouse....lmao
The trick or key is..to know what to care about and what not to give a rats ass about.
It other words... Being appropricate.

You make good points.. as usual. I wish I stay 19 forever. Personally, when I was 17 or so, I remember thinking stuff like "Wow, can't really wait till I turn 19 and finally be able to drink legally." (At least that's the legal age where I live). And now it's been almost three months since my bday (holly that went by fast) and now I'm thinking honeysuckle like "Hmm.. I'm 19..Finally reached that legal age.. But 19.. that's only 1 year away from 20.. Then 20.. that's only 10 years away form 30.. and on and on lol..Anyway you get the point.. The key is to try to make time pass slower for yourself.

Lonesome Crow said:
Don't be afriad to ask for help. Try to keep a
positive attitude. Learn from your mistakes.
You can always learn from others mistakes too, ya know.
You don't have to re invent the wheels of misery and chaos.lol
Some poeple will teach us what to do.
Others will teach us...what not to do...lol
Stay teachable and always willing to learn and grow.
It's okay to not have all the answers...just the onces you need
at the moment or stage of your life.
And by all means...love and charrish yourself. Even if it seems like
no one cares..and sometimes...no one actaully don't care...lol
The lesson or key is...I have to care about myself reguardless.
My life begins with me...at my very core of being. First things First.
If i have to live with myself 24/7...i might as will start being nice to me and care about myself.
Will...that's some major responsiblities...right there, aint it ?.lol
Making myself or chosing to be happy inspite of all the BS takes lots of work and responsiblities.lol

Amen bro.

Lonesome Crow said:
Live life oneday at a time becuase that's all we have and will
ever have is today. We're always in the today, this moment
no matter how young or old.
The stuff of yesterday and tommorow..that's just stuff that gose spin around in our heads.lol
well...chose the positive good stuff and let go of the bad ones if it's going to spin...you have a chioce. (if you can't be in the moment)

Amen :p

Minus said:
You can feel old at about any age. It doesn't necessarily last and hopefully at 19 it passes quickly.

Yeah hopefully.. It actually kind of passed already so that's cool.

ringwood said:
Personally, I find it's the opposite - the older I get, the more content and happier I am with life. Of course, I still struggle from time to time, but generally speaking, life is way better. For me, it was finally learning to let go of all the trivial little bullshit matters that can torment a person, and just letting things be as they are....

That's really the way it is for me. I'm really content now just spending my time doing school work and leaning more about the world. The nature and quality of my social life still occupies my mind at times though it's not nearly as much as it did just some 6 months ago or so when I was pretty much someone you could call "lonely and desperate". I also clearly understand and appreciate the notion that the matter of bettering myself in any way I see as important can only come directly from my efforts and nothing else and I feel I'm in direct control over that. The only thing that's bothering me is the fact that I've never had a gf or been on a date and the fear that I'll never meet anyone.. But hopefully this will pass soon (whether directly or otherwise)

Bella said:
My love of everything High School Musical prevents me feeling old at 21.

lol

evanescencefan91 said:
Truth is everything looks better in hindsight. Adolesnce is crap, acne and false friends that are just plain lazy exams and gettting up early,

Depends on the person yeah.

Jonny said:
OLD ??? OLD! WHAT!!!
:club::club::club

Grow up.

LonelyDragon said:
I'm not trying to get down on you, but what would you consider it to be like when you're twice that old? (which I'm already past. )

Well he pretty much covered the entire aspect of one's life in his little
pessimisitic forecasting there..

Brian said:
enjoy reading more than snowmobiling (which I have tried), and enjoy the company of people 2 and 3 times my age far more than I like being around the rest of my generation it seems.

Oh man snowmobiling is awesome.. I tried with my mom once and at some point the machine hit a skid, lost control, toppled over and we both went FLYING into the snow.. Lol.. fun times..

But anyway that's interesting of you to mention that you like the company of people twice or thrice your age... maybe you should've been born decades earlier or something

Brian said:
But I'll never understand the party thing. I can't imagine anything more miserable or pointless or dumb.

Partying is about socializing and spending good times with your friends and other people your age.. But I can see how it could be tireing for some people who are naturally more reserved and probably prefer a smaller number of people to be with..Not saying you're one of those people but potentially could be if you find the whole thing miserable.. or just have some anxiety or something.

SilentThinker said:
I could say it is the bloomy period of friendship.

Potentially, yeah.

punisher said:
im 26, look 16 and feel like im 10 :p
but 26 is quite old, my end is coming.

Haha, I sometimes look like I'm 16 or 17 also (even though I'm 19 lol)
And 26 isn't that old.. Old is like 56 ..lmao

ExtensivexLDL said:
punisher said:

i still get asked for id to buy lottery tickets and i was old enough 10 years ago :p
and 56 F**K i'll never see that day:p

punisher said:
ExtensivexLDL said:
punisher said:

i still get asked for id to buy lottery tickets and i was old enough 10 years ago :p
and 56 F**K i'll never see that day:p

No point being negative

Caesium said:

You know I don't actually think it is the best time of your life. OK I might go back and re-live those years, BUT only if I could know what I know now. And even then I am not sure if I would wont to go back to them days.

I think when ppl say they are the best years of there life they forget all the bad stuff. Us humans have a great ability to only remember the good stuff. Just like I remember what it was like to have a GF over 15 years ago. But there must had been a reason why I spilt with the girls I went out with. Reason was cos we was arguing all of the freaking time. But normally I don't remember them times. just the other good times.

I felt older then my age when I was at school. manly cos I had a lot of time away and had to talk to adults a lot like doctors and nursers. So when I want back to school I felt old. Was never a problem for me as I have always known how to mess around and act like a kid. Actually I think now I have less problems then I have ever had. Maybe I should be moor appreciative to where am at now and make moor of it. I feel younger then my age now. All tho some days I feel a 100. I right at this time have a cold but I don't feel nearly 34.

At 19 you still got parents telling you what to do when your old enough to do what you like. You got no money so can not go anywhere or do anything. You normally don't have your own place so have to live under someone else's roof and abide by there rules. Why would anyone wont to go back to that?

Am in my mid 30s and am happy with my age. Young enough to go live life still and old enough to do as I pleas with out anyone trying to give me greth for it. Own car (that dose not break down all of the time), Own place. Ye I do not wont to go back lol

Latest posts

Back