Fifty minutes of loneliness.

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IgnoredOne

Reaction score
[As a preface, I should note that this was originally supposed to be more coherent, but I've decided to leave it in its rambling state to honor to the more honest and natural feel of aloneness. And in a way, as a testament that even when someone has had a lot of experience dealing with loneliness, it still has its pangs.]

I needed to review two stories for the magazines that I had been working for - neither of them truly were worth much acclaim, but I wanted to give them their fair critique. My editor, of course, would prefer a fast one. There was her email, already: polite, but insistent. I told her that I was get it done by tomorrow, and hoped that would stall her enough. Having also completed some practice review of the computer examination that I've been planning to take and with midnight being in full bloom, I decided to set fifty minutes so I could nap and return to my studying.

I wasn't feeling particularly sleepy, but neither was I incredibly livid. So I put 50 minutes on the timer, shut off the light, and lay back on the bed.

These are dangerous moments - when the whirl of work and the occupation dies down long enough for me to hear the chatter of my soul. It is when I realize, vividly, that I'm alone on my bed. It is when loneliness strikes. Earlier, I had been working out and had taken off my shirt in the heat. Now, I felt cold and pitiful(and was remarkably glad for the blue jeans); the moonlight filtering through the curtains seemed to mock me, exposing the truth of my aloneness without the comfort of darkness. I huddled behind a blanket.

No one loves you, my soul whispered.

I hugged the folds of my blanket, partly hoping to lose myself in the illusion that it was a body in my arms. It didn't work, wouldn't have. I tried, anyway, staring at the curtains.

No one ever will love you.

I don't need to depend on my happiness on someone else, I tried to tell my soul. Furthermore, I can't, I reasoned. You can't expect to depend on the choices of something or someone you can't control. Therein lies the path to ruin.

I felt tears on my cheek, wiped them away with the blanket.

Lying to yourself gets you nowhere. You want to depend on someone. You need to be vulnerable, and feel safe doing so.

I tried, I told it. I tried so many times. It didn't work, and there's no reason to believe that it ever would. Such is life.

What do you fail so much where others seem to do so naturally?

Its us. Its who we are. Its a fact of our aspect, our appearance and there's nothing to do about it. I might very well go through life without being loved. The word "twenty-three year old virgin" flicked through my mind. It was not pleasant.

What's the point of life if you resign yourself to unhappiness and hopelessness?

Lack of happiness isn't necessarily unhappiness, I try to point out.

Then what is lack of happiness?

Life. Life is worth something, right?

No answer.

Life is worth something, I repeat, mentally. My audience is silent to my attempts to convince myself, and I realize that I'm neither getting any sleep nor feeling any better on bed. I slip out of the bed, kissing the blanket before I do so, hoping that it was someone.

The lights come on. I find, to my disappointment, that I still have almost 20 minutes left on the timer. I also glance at the Christmas letter from a girl, and against my better wisdom, open it to look at it again. There's a handdrawn flower in it, along with the well wishes. She was talented - I could have loved her, though she never would have felt the same for me. She told me that.

You always liked artists.

I'm one, too, I remind my soul. A writer is no less of an artist though he works with words and sounds instead of lines and curves. It gracefully concedes to me.

I might as well be productive with my remaining time somehow. So I find my way to the kitchen, put a kettle on the stove, and light the propane underneath it.

Dark teatime of the soul?, my soul remarks mockingly.

I almost smirk. I'm still cold, so I find my way back to my bedroom, specifically the closet, and pick out a shirt. Its a button shirt with cubic patterns and is far too dressy and formal for this time of the day. But no one is going to see me anyway, so with the help of the bathroom mirror, I put it on.

I stared at myself in the mirror with a bit of difficulty. My hair was messy. A brush happened. It wasn't messy afterward. It occurred to me then, as it has often, that I wasn't ugly, though neither was I particularly fond of myself.

You have a certain doll-like aspect to you, all neat like you always are. Except at the eyes. There's something else about them.

What do the eyes say?, I ask. I'm not sure that I like doll-like, either.

Intensity. I don't know with what - or maybe you don't want to admit what it is. I don't know.

Neither do I.

I return to the kitchen, the kettle and a waiting teabag of Earl Grey to match the cup of hot water. I decide against milk, favor sugar, and wonder for a moment if I still have any honey left for the tea.

Honey was Miss B's favorite thing in the world.

That's where she got her nickname from.

You really, really loved her.

I try to deny.

She was an artist too, and a ballerina. She wouldn't have loved you either, though you did everything.

The ghosts never stop haunting me, I answer. Besides, the writer Scott Fitzgerald married his ballerina, Zelda, and it ended with one insane, and the other dead. I need not pine overmuch for that.

Yet you did pine for her. And still do, it reminds me.

Such is life, I answer.

I return to my bedroom desk. Five minutes left on the timer.

The pages of my notebook have turned; perhaps the wind had gotten in earlier. Now, through the last semi-transculence of the last unfilled page, I can see my handwriting in the pages behind it. Automatically, my fingers close around a pen and almost as automatically, I twirl the pen in a full spin in my hand. It had become a habit, by now.

You thought to visualize your improvement that way, that if you could learn to spin a pen, you could prove to learn anything else.

It was partly true, I note. I improved in all things.

I turn the page and look at the writing. On the top half, there's a "grouping" technique for a character I used in a story. It was a particularly fond character of mine.

She was based entirely off Miss B. You tried to honor her there. And you wrote another story for her. It did make her happy - but it didn't make her come any closer to loving you.

On the bottom half are these words: "Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it." "Freedom to succeed is also freedom to fail." "Freedom is a relative, and not an absolute concept."

I must have copied some of those words from someone I read - they're far too beautiful and eloquent to have been mine. My mnd searches for a source.

John Updike. American novelist and essayist. From a collection of his essays called More Matters.

Ah yes, I note. They fail to resonate with much meaning for me now, though I suppose they might in the morning. I feel alone. There's still one minute on the timer, moving inexhorably.

Do you think that any of this will mean anything, ever? Or will it, like the loves you've had, be both beautiful yet meaningless? That all the effort in the world, all the accomplishment and successes that you've thought you've fathered - none of this will ever bring you what you've wanted, what you've needed? What will you think, then?

My answer to my soul is the same as always.

Such is life, I tell it with finality, while the last seconds of the timer tick away.

i had some mins of that tonight as well.

boy does it feel bad knowing that you will never be loved. That you have to brave it alone in this world.

You try, n you try, n you try, n you try ...okay sometimes u do BS but the point is either way it doesn't work out.
They say if you met that one person it'll all be worth it though

n i believe them. Just wish I could met that one person. That person who I can feel confident with...who's love is not something I'd question...

Yea they say we shouldn't want anyone to save us ..i say that would be me lying to myself.. I want someone 2 save me..to take me away from this world of sites like this (not that i dont love everyone here), of changing people, of meeting people who just hurt me...I want out...

I'd travel around the world n back...just to get out!

I don't believe in destined love, for the most part. I think that our relationship is the result of our choices, rather than discovering our "perfect" soulmate. I do believe that there is magic in the world, but its in the details, and while I am a romantic, I think that there are many possible "perfect" matches for us in the world. Whether I, or her, makes the choice to make that relationship happen is up to our choices, though.

Regards,
IO

jales said:
i had some mins of that tonight as well.

boy does it feel bad knowing that you will never be loved. That you have to brave it alone in this world.

You try, n you try, n you try, n you try ...okay sometimes u do BS but the point is either way it doesn't work out.
They say if you met that one person it'll all be worth it though

n i believe them. Just wish I could met that one person. That person who I can feel confident with...who's love is not something I'd question...

Yea they say we shouldn't want anyone to save us ..i say that would be me lying to myself.. I want someone 2 save me..to take me away from this world of sites like this (not that i dont love everyone here), of changing people, of meeting people who just hurt me...I want out...

I'd travel around the world n back...just to get out!

Jales. I know exactly how you feel. Well, maybe not exactly, but I feel exactly that way in my own way.

**** IgnoredOne. That is so touching. I couldn't even read it all. But all that I did read. It just ring's so true.

IgnoredOne said:
I think that our relationship is the result of our choices, rather than discovering our "perfect" soulmate. I do believe that there is magic in the world, but its in the details, and while I am a romantic, I think that there are many possible "perfect" matches for us in the world. Whether I, or her, makes the choice to make that relationship happen is up to our choices, though.
I actually do agree with this. You said it well. :)

How did I miss this before?...Sorry about that. If I had known this was up here I would've read it straight away.

I hate gushing, but honestly, this is an absolutely excellent example of fine writing. I was able to relate to everything you said, the imagery was perfect, the dialogue gave it beautiful cohesion, and the last line was perfect. Honestly man, this is just a wonderfully honest and well-written piece.

I'm not sure if it was your intent, but with your preface in mind,

[As a preface, I should note that this was originally supposed to be more coherent, but I've decided to leave it in its rambling state to honor to the more honest and natural feel of aloneness. And in a way, as a testament that even when someone has had a lot of experience dealing with loneliness, it still has its pangs.]

I interpreted this piece heavily to have underlying themes of unknowingness and ambivalence, the most ardent desire to love and be loved that is inhibited in its fantastical existence -- for in fantasies, everything is perfect (as you have pointed out with freedom, it is a relative term), and there is that sense that reality living up to them is impossible. Furthermore, the appeal of the fantasy world is such that it negates all of the negativities of real-life situations; the girl is there when you need her most, and although she is powerless to do anything but depress you, her presence (at least I have found) fosters creativity and productivity by stimulating such powerful emotions and cogitations within the heart and mind so that they can work in confluence as opposed to perhaps a real life embrace, whereupon the enjoyment (I would presume) lies largely in the physical closeness and likewise satisfaction and comfort, not intellectual reciprocation. Then again, you could say that the fantasy girl does the same, yet with the 'enjoyment' being misery lying largely in the sense of destitution and pained yearning. I have no idea what I'm talking about, after all!

In any case, I do think fruitful relationships can be had, and making them perfect is possible; maybe not perfect in the traditional sense, but perfect in the human sense. It seems very hard to achieve, and although I know it exists, a large part of me would rather focus on writing, music, and learning how to spin a pen (I envy you;)) instead of chasing after that ideal.

The flow you decided on works extremely well; I cannot see it working any better. Again, I can relate to the "personification" whereupon pillows or blankets turn into a girl from my ivory tower, and knowing that firsthand it was a very powerful segment. Basically, the entire piece flowed flawlessly and I'd really have to spend some time reanalyzing the entire thing in order to give you a valid response...I feel the urge to relate to you as well as I can, but I fear that on account of my onsetting cold and undone schoolwork (which usually goes undone anyway) I must be "off to bed" (aka off to daydream whilst attempting to sleep...who daydreams at half past 11pm to 3am, though?).

Thank you for sharing this piece, as it truly is a free-flowing work of art -- I hate just dishing out accolades, but I only do so when I a) really feel that it is warranted and b) have the time. This piece hit home with me, and I'm sure with anyone else who's read it. As a last note, I really like your style and your ideas: This never was, for a single moment, boring, and it maintained a gradual increase in interest as the thoughts unfolded themselves. It was very thought-provoking, and had I more time to go over this right now I'd really make an effort to absorb as much of it as possible. It does my heart a lot of good to see this piece and realize that I'm not alone in my way of thinking, acting, and communicating -- again, thank you. I'm going to stop before I make more of a mess of this response that I have to ;)

midnightlamp, I'm glad that you liked it. I realy don't know my exact state of mind while writing it, but it was honest and from my heart, and has been a continuing belief of mine that so as long as a writer writes from his passions, he can do little wrong. Certainly there are many technical aspects to our art, but those are mere garnish and presentation compared to the meatier need for a soul and purpose to my writing.

Beyond that, I specialize in the short story style and I believe that might have had something to do with the attention for the final line for emphasis. Its a very Lovecraftian indulgence that I permit myself, but it is effective.

But above all that, I'm glad that you put in the time and the effort to read it all. It was a truly personal piece, one that revealed many of my vulnerabilities. And I can see your thoughts of the innate conflict between reality and fantasy, where the fantastic is inherently more perfect than any reality. And yet I agree with you - though the horizons may never be caught, are we so wrong as to chase them? Poets, wrtiers, and artists have, and I number myself amongst them, and so shall I.

If such is foolish, then may I never know wisdom.

evanescencefan91, the technique is known as the "triplet" and is frequently employed in poetry as well as in speeches. From the original veni,vidi,vici of Caesarian fame, the human mind finds the sense of a triple to be both pleasing and complete. Horror writers intentionally upset the triplet theory by using doublets, creating a sense of unease and discomfort. The American horror writer Poe was a particular master of this; he also employed it in his poetry such as "Annabel Lee."

Regards,
IO

Such is life.

It gets better, IO... but I think you know that.

Anyway, something positive came out of that dark moment, I mean that was beautiful to read.

human_condition said:
Such is life.

It gets better, IO... but I think you know that.

Anyway, something positive came out of that dark moment, I mean that was beautiful to read.

Maybe. And thank you for reading through it.

I don't necessarily know if it just gets better, and much of me significantly rejects the idea of just waiting for things to get better. That's an incredibly passive way to confront life and its probably the easiest way to prolong any sort of misery.

I do believe that I've learned enough that I can fight my way to a better life for myself. Its not been easy, and I feel like I've lost quite a bit of myself in doing so, but there has been some results.

The short of this is really quite simple, I suppose. If you're at the base of a bottomless pit, you cannot get out of it by waiting. But if you can claw, crawl, and kick, maybe you can get somewhere.

And in the end? We really are our own worst enemies. From what I've read of you, I think you have an deep personal familiarity with that.

Regards,
IO

IgnoredOne said:
Maybe. And thank you for reading through it.

I don't necessarily know if it just gets better, and much of me significantly rejects the idea of just waiting for things to get better. That's an incredibly passive way to confront life and its probably the easiest way to prolong any sort of misery.

I do believe that I've learned enough that I can fight my way to a better life for myself. Its not been easy, and I feel like I've lost quite a bit of myself in doing so, but there has been some results.

The short of this is really quite simple, I suppose. If you're at the base of a bottomless pit, you cannot get out of it by waiting. But if you can claw, crawl, and kick, maybe you can get somewhere.

I'm glad you can see that, many people on here can't.

And in the end? We really are our own worst enemies. From what I've read of you, I think you have an deep personal familiarity with that.

How do you mean?

Latest posts

Back