film fans

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andyluvsfilms

Reaction score
Hi there, if there are any real film buffs on here? i would love to chat. I enjoy all genres but im having a documentary phase at the moment, it really is the golden age for them. Some of my fave films over the last 12 months include Stories We Tell, Blackfish, The Hunt and The Crash Reel, buzz me back if you wanna share faves.

andy

Oh hi there, thanks for replying, a few questions

1) Fave films for this year?
2) Fave directors?
3) Do you follow any websites or listen to any podcasts?

Please feel free to ask me any questions, that goes for anyone that wishes to join in

Rigel said:
I like documentaries. Can you recommend some good ones you've seen?

Oh tons, im halfway through Louder Than A Bomb at the moment which is about an annual poetry slam and its pretty ace.

My faves are Searching For Sugarman, The Crash Reel, Blackfish, Stories We Tell, West Of Memphis, The Central Park Five, The Tillman Story and The Invisible War.
I could go on and on, is there a particular subject you like?

murmi97 said:
I love older films. I haven't seen one that's in theaters or new on dvd for years.

I like the oldies too ie Casablanca and Treasure Of Sierra Madre but the silent films like Battleship Potemkin and Passion Of Joan Of Arc are also some of my faves. What ones do you like?

andyluvsfilms said:

2) Fave directors?

Please feel free to ask me any questions, that goes for anyone that wishes to join in

1. The Impossible, Cloud Atlas, Rush, Captain Philips, Gravity

2. The guy who did Gravity (can't spell his name but I know he did Children of Men as well) is a genius ! Paul Greengrass did a great job with Captain Philips because I normally don't like his style.

3. Internet movie database, Total film a bit

Triple Bogey said:
andyluvsfilms said:

2) Fave directors?

2. The guy who did Gravity (can't spell his name but I know he did Children of Men as well) is a genius ! Paul Greengrass did a great job with Captain Philips because I normally don't like his style.

I still haven't watched Rush, i heard its amazing and i hope to see Gravity monday night. If you liked Captain Phillips then there's an even better film thats just gone onto US Netflix, its a Norwegian film called "A Hijacking", it focus more on the corporate/shareholding problems of the same situation and like i said its a much better film in my opinion.

A couple podcasts to recommend, Battleship Pretension and BnL On Movies(care of the Rope Of Silicon website) both are very funny and engaging.

andyluvsfilms said:
Triple Bogey said:
andyluvsfilms said:

2) Fave directors?

I still haven't watched Rush, i heard its amazing and i hope to see Gravity monday night. If you liked Captain Phillips then there's an even better film thats just gone onto US Netflix, its a Norwegian film called "A Hijacking", it focus more on the corporate/shareholding problems of the same situation and like i said its a much better film in my opinion.

A couple podcasts to recommend, Battleship Pretension and BnL On Movies(care of the Rope Of Silicon website) both are very funny and engaging.

cheers

andyluvsfilms said:
murmi97 said:
I love older films. I haven't seen one that's in theaters or new on dvd for years.

I like the oldies too ie Casablanca and Treasure Of Sierra Madre but the silent films like Battleship Potemkin and Passion Of Joan Of Arc are also some of my faves. What ones do you like?

I haven't seen all the standards, but I loved Random Harvest, 12 Angry Men, Ninotchka, Born Yesterday, There Goes My Heart, almost everything Buster Keaton made and Naughty Marietta. I'll watch anything noir, silent or pre-code 30's.

I have only seen 12 Angry Men from your list and i'll admit to not knowing about the others. As for the silents, i also watched Nosferatu last week which i enjoyed and my fave silent star is Harold Lloyd especially the wonderful Safety Last.

As a side note, i watched Thor 2 last night, what a dreadful film, it drags generic to a whole new level. More words on it here, one of the last comments http://www.ropeofsilicon.com/thor-2-dark-world-movie-review/

I meant to mention Safety Last! last night actually. But Lloyd's still second behind Keaton to me though.

Im not sure if ive seen any Keaton, i know he is a lot of peoples favourite.

If there are any poetry fans out there, i watched a fab doc yesterday called Louder Than A Bomb that you may like, it focuses on an annual high school competition in the Chicago area, anyway its on Netflix and its great.

For something really strange, surreal, and a bit depressing, and also in Swedish, see "Songs From the Second Floor."

An art film that draws inspiration from Buster Keaton, Tati, and a few others, but still its own thing.

Batman55 said:
For something really strange, surreal, and a bit depressing, and also in Swedish, see "Songs From the Second Floor."

An art film that draws inspiration from Buster Keaton, Tati, and a few others, but still its own thing.

Just watched it, i thought it was ace, the scandinavians always seem to produce really interesting films, this one did make me chuckle. Thanks.

andyluvsfilms said:
Just watched it, i thought it was ace, the scandinavians always seem to produce really interesting films, this one did make me chuckle. Thanks.

I remember there was one scene where it looked like there was a large cross on the ground, and all of a sudden all these people got up and started walking, and I realized really? that shape was made by people? it was expertly choreographed.

this film sticks out in my memory in a bad way, i was going through a self-imposed hell at the time, i'll hold back the details though. i wonder if i watch the film again, will those bad memories come back? lol

there's a follow-up to this film from the same director, the same style, but i've only seen part of it. it was just "too real and depressing," like the other film but worse in some way.

Triple Bogey said:
anybody got a film of the year ?

my top 3

Cloud Atlas
Rush
The Impossible

I could give you a top 3....of 1953

Pickup on South Street
High Noon
Gentlemen Prefer Blondes

;)
in that order

murmi97 said:
Triple Bogey said:
anybody got a film of the year ?

my top 3

Cloud Atlas
Rush
The Impossible

I could give you a top 3....of 1953

Pickup on South Street
High Noon
Gentlemen Prefer Blondes

;)
in that order

seen High Noon but not the other two. :)

Latest posts

Back