Finding something to be passionate about

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LonelyLola

Reaction score
My mom has always told me that when I feel the worst about myself, I need to throw myself into the service of others. Well, as you guys know (and have been so understanding of) I have been feeling like honeysuckle. So I have been looking for some way to volunteer.

Right now I run the university sexual health centre, giving advice and free condoms/feminine hygiene products/pregnancy tests to students, as well as promoting non judgement and equality between genders and sexual orientations.

I my job I run birthday and craft classes for kids, and our store has community events that I volunteer at. So I do get out and do things.

But I feel like I need to get away from all that is my normal, past I've years day to day life. I can't afford a vacation, not really, but have started finding some opportunities to volunteer overseas for less than a vacation costs.

Now, taking into account the level of safety of some programs, as well as reputations, I have started research into what I want to do and how much it will cost. My oldest brother, who travels monthly for work, has millions of travel miles and is willing to find me a ticket to wherever I need to go.

It has given me a purpose, and it feels nice to have that. I have contacted a few places, once I hear back I can work on fundraising and paperwork.

I'm kind of excited. I wanted to share. All of my previous posts have been so depressing.

Funny, if I hadn't moved in with mom and dad again I would never have been able to consider this type of opportunity.

I will keep you informed!

You sound like an amazing person! I used to do more volunteer work, and I regret that I don't do as much now. Seeing posts like this are motivating. So thank you. :)

Lola - you are truly inspirational. I am excited for you and think you are truly amazing with what you're doing. Please do keep us updated!

I've found a few places that have captured my heart. I applied to a volunteer organization that has good references and extremely reasonable rates, and they have a 48 hour reply policy. I have looked at my finances and already have moved around enough to have 600 dollars saved, the fees look to be about 1000 (USD) to go for about 6 weeks.

I have always dreamed about something like this, but thought I would never get the chance to do it. My mother has gone on several medical missions (she is a registered nurse) and I have always been sor of jealous.

I will keep you all posted! Thanks for the encouragement.

That's really incredible Lola. Volunteering overseas sounds like an amazing opportunity and a dream come true.

Drew-
I know the feeling. I volunteered through friends who would introduce me to the people who ran local food banks. If you have something specific in mind, I think that looking through state organizations is definitely the way to go. I.E. New York Cares, Volunteer Virginia, etc. They almost always let you browse through everything until you find a volunteer position that you'll enjoy. If all else fails there's always local homeless shelters, animal shelters, hospitals, VA centers, and Americorps if you just want to put yourself out there.

Well, I have my two placements, I know how much things cost, and I started fundraising online. I am waiting to hear my plane ticket dates so I can set everything in stone, but as it sits now, I will be travelling to Nepal at the beginning of June to volunteer teaching English to Buddhist monks, working in an orphanage and then spending three weeks in Kathmandu teaching at the Koseli School.

I have started one of those gofundme pages where people can donate in PayPal. If you are interested, pm me, otherwise please wish me luck! I am arranging my vaccinations tomorrow, and then it is all prep time. Work work work, save save save.

So I just booked my tickets! I will be leaving my comfortable home on May 30th, travelling 32 hours to Kathmandu, then leaving July 31 and arriving back at my little city on August 1st.

I am suddenly struck by how very real this is. Scared doesn't begin to describe it. But it is a thrilling kind of scared, the kind that means something wonderful could happen if you just have faith.

Faith. Funny that. I am not a faithful person. Having grown up Mormon, I left the church when I was 24 and haven't been about belief without proof since. I am a scientist.

Yet I cannot argue that we are all connected, somehow. That the good we do for some does effect us all. My mom says it all comes down to quantum mechanics.

All I know is that I want to help others, but selfishly want to help myself the most.

Thanks for always being there.

LonelyLola said:
All I know is that I want to help others, but selfishly want to help myself the most.

Sounds a fair balance to me, you're helping others and that will hopefully help you. Then you might be able to help even more people.

Keep a diary, it'll help when you get featured on Opra or something!

I am writing a blog about it, at laurachangesherlife.blogspot.ca

But I am also keeping a private journal for myself. Sure, some of the entries might make it to the blog, but I find sometimes, to be really honest, you need to have something no one else will see.

So I heard back from the Koseli school, and I have been asked to teach sexual education to the children! This is something I do here at my university (I run the sexual health centre) so I am excited to add this to my lessons! The children and teens there are many times subject to physical and sexual abuse at home and by neighbours, and have no idea that they should be telling their teachers that something is wrong.

40 days!

I am so nervous.

Latest posts

Back