Friends welcome

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tom_lonely

Reaction score
Hi, my name is Tom.

I am 42, married with 3 kids. Working to heal my marriage.

Anyone who would like to be my friend is welcome.

Some of my interests:

-Learning from other people. I have already gotten some good advice on here that makes me want to make better (healthier) choices about how I "fill the emptiness" I feel sometimes.

-Sci-fi. Among my interests are: Star Trek, Star Wars. A L I E N series, graphic novels.

-Horror: A L I E N series, Alien vs Predator, and all the permutations.

-Artificial Intelligence. Some interesting moral questions arise when contemplating this (I think) soon to be reality in our lives. How far can we trust the machines we will create?

-Japanese board game called "GO". Easy to learn. Years to master. There is yet to be written any computer program that can play against a flesh and blood GO player beyond a certain level.

-Geocaching. A game where you find hidden containers using GPS. My favorite description is this one:

"I use multi-billion-dollar military satellites to find Tupperware in the woods. What's your hobby?"

More to be had at: geocaching.com

I welcome anyone to PM me who shares these interests. Or maybe you can introduce me to some of your hobbies!

Tom

tom_lonely said:
Hi, my name is Tom.

I am 42, married with 3 kids. Working to heal my marriage.

Anyone who would like to be my friend is welcome.

Some of my interests:

-Learning from other people. I have already gotten some good advice on here that makes me want to make better (healthier) choices about how I "fill the emptiness" I feel sometimes.

-Sci-fi. Among my interests are: Star Trek, Star Wars. A L I E N series, graphic novels.

-Horror: A L I E N series, Alien vs Predator, and all the permutations.

-Artificial Intelligence. Some interesting moral questions arise when contemplating this (I think) soon to be reality in our lives. How far can we trust the machines we will create?

-Japanese board game called "GO". Easy to learn. Years to master. There is yet to be written any computer program that can play against a flesh and blood GO player beyond a certain level.

-Geocaching. A game where you find hidden containers using GPS. My favorite description is this one:

"I use multi-billion-dollar military satellites to find Tupperware in the woods. What's your hobby?"

More to be had at: geocaching.com

I welcome anyone to PM me who shares these interests. Or maybe you can introduce me to some of your hobbies!

Tom

:::: tumbleweed rolls by :::::::

Wow - I am feeling lonely on the Lonely Life forum ... ouch!

I swear people, I am wearing deodorant today. No need to keep your distance!

I don't know why. But when people say that they're in a relationship, it is a big turn off for me. I imagine them banging on about their partner all the time (which friends near me have done in the past) Always relating to something they've done together lol. It might sound strange but I've grown up around people who focus way too much on relationships when they're in them. It has effected me x]

Have fun with your satellites :D

You know what, I once posted up on my facebook a few months ago that I was lonely and bored and one of my contacts (friends is an overused word on fb) suggested I should try geocaching.

It looks like something quite interesting and it seems that even in my small city there are a number of registered locations.

How easy is it to get into? How much would a lower end GPS tracker sting me for and where could I get one from?

I imagine it's not very often when people want to hear more about this, so tell me more about this hobby of yours!

Honestly there are some really obscure things I'm interested in that no one cares about for example when I watch the news, I'm more interested in the style of on-screen graphics and the intro music used rather than the actual content (i.e. I have a bit of a fascination with media presentation). To this day I have found no one who relates to this little obsession!

Klemon said:
You know what, I once posted up on my facebook a few months ago that I was lonely and bored and one of my contacts (friends is an overused word on fb) suggested I should try geocaching.

It looks like something quite interesting and it seems that even in my small city there are a number of registered locations.

How easy is it to get into? How much would a lower end GPS tracker sting me for and where could I get one from?

I imagine it's not very often when people want to hear more about this, so tell me more about this hobby of yours!

Honestly there are some really obscure things I'm interested in that no one cares about for example when I watch the news, I'm more interested in the style of on-screen graphics and the intro music used rather than the actual content (i.e. I have a bit of a fascination with media presentation). To this day I have found no one who relates to this little obsession!

It's actually really easy to get into. Some of the caches can be found using printed maps from an online Street Map program like the ones that Google or Yahoo provide. Or you can even use your in-car Navigation System to get you close and then get out and walk around looking for the cache.

For a better experience, most people invest in a handheld GPS device. This allows you to upload 20 different cache locations at once and search for them in order of which ones are closest and then next closest.

I think they range from $200 on up. $200 will get you a nice one that should do everything you'll ever want.

Well, I usually go with my son. The most interesting stories we have to tell are the ones where we either didn't find the cache, or came towards the cache from such an odd direction that we ended-up making the cache find much more difficult that it needed to be.

I took a 10 month course in Graphic Design (Visual Communications) so I actually DO relate to your fascination with the onscreen graphics, etc. For this reason I love the Pixar movies, like "Brave" or "Cars".

Feel free to talk about graphics or music content with me any time you want!

This is a nice one. Looks a teensy bit better than mine:

http://www.thegpsstore.com/Garmin-eTrex-20-Color-Handheld-GPS-P2771.aspx

$175 is reasonable. Shop around on eBay and you might find some super deals.

Hello tom :) i'm a big fan of science fiction too. I've not heard of geocaching before but sounds like fun, my hobbies are a lot more boring compared to yours it seems. Send me a pm if your interested in talking.

Grey said:
Hello tom :) i'm a big fan of science fiction too. I've not heard of geocaching before but sounds like fun, my hobbies are a lot more boring compared to yours it seems. Send me a pm if your interested in talking.

Sure! I'll message you soon.

Latest posts

Back