Friends with Benefits

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To me personally it sounds like a bad idea.

I know that I would find it hard to dissociate emotions from intimacy. Plus, what good is emotionless sex? To me that's almost an oxymoron.

Most of the attraction to the act comes from the emotions it's meant to fuel and serve, if you take that away it's just physical self-gratification that goes pretty soon afterwards.

Of course though, you may have a different emotional compass, so it's up to you. The above is simply my opinion.

I just know that in that situation, I'd probably burn either myself or the girl emotionally, and I strongly suspect I'd feel pretty cheap with myself for the whole thing even if it went as planned.

I wouldnt recommend it at all. I an technically in one such situation right now and despite knowing I would not be capable of seperating emotion from sex I went and did it anyway. It is hard enough being lonely but to then lose a sexual partner AND a friend? I can't speak for you or anyone else but I should have realized I didnt have enough friends to risk losing one just for some nookie.

I knew a young girl, not quite twenty, who was hit by a car and died. The suddeness caught me a bit off guard, because you don't usually assume that people you know to die in peacetime like that, without warning or preface.

Before that, I remember her talking to me about a friends with benefits relationship that she was in. I wonder if had she known that she would have less than two years to live, if she would have still thought it was a worthwhile use of her time.

Pfft. I'd personally love a friends with benefits/open relationship type deal. They're only different in title for me. Point is you hang out like buds, get to fresia each other, but still get to keep your eye open for other, deeper relationships with separate people. Most naysayers of the matter are usually romantics who believe sex is a sacred union yadda yadda yadda.
Call me a slut, but FWBs and cuddle buddies are ******* great.

Doubt The Rabbit said:
Pfft. I'd personally love a friends with benefits/open relationship type deal. They're only different in title for me. Point is you hang out like buds, get to fresia each other, but still get to keep your eye open for other, deeper relationships with separate people. Most naysayers of the matter are usually romantics who believe sex is a sacred union yadda yadda yadda.
Call me a slut, but FWBs and cuddle buddies are ******* great.

exactly. i think my best relationship was a friends with benefits (hehe)

considering you guys are necroposting again, I'd like to know how it turned out for the OP as by now something has either had to or not have happened.

I would never get into a "friends with benefits" relationship. The way I am I'd be compromising my values. I can't be intimate with someone unless we have mutual caring and have hope that he and I would possibly get into a relationship. I could never have an "open" relationship, either. I don't get intimate with more than one man at a time.

Do what you will. Personally I would steer clear away from that "friends with benefits" sort of thing, it's just not like me.

"Friends with benefits" is just a time bomb waiting to explode....you can never really figure out what these women or men are thinking when they call their FWB "friends" but are in actuality "using" them and their bodies to please themselves. That is a screwed up mindset.

In my personal experience FWB works if you actually remain friends, since you actually care about the person its better than a random hook up. The problem seems to be staying real friends once the sex is introduced... I think if she asks and you want it you should go for it, but everyone is different so it just depends on what your comfortable with

Friends are the very very much needed in life. There are many benefits of having good friends, I know there are many mis understanding and fighting among each other but friends are friends.
1. Friends makes us laugh in all situation
2. Friends helps us in all situation no matter how worse the situation is.
3. You would never felt lonely
4. They do make us cry but also make us laugh

Friends with benefits are the perfect way to use each other as if you were both merely objects, sex objects to be used and then discarded. If your self esteem and self worth is low enough and your desperation is high enough then this is perfect for you. Personally, my body is my temple and my soul is too unique and of high value to allow myself to be blatantly used by another.

However, he who makes decisions with the wrong muscle, shall never make good ones. I would also question the self respect of a woman who allows a man access to herself merely to serve a sexual need. If we were simply animals, driven purely by instinct and survival then that's different but we have been given intelligence for a reason so we should make use of it.

Having a really decent friend should provide enough benefit on its own.

Public_Enemy said:
Friends with benefits are the perfect way to use each other as if you were both merely objects, sex objects to be used and then discarded. If your self esteem and self worth is low enough and your desperation is high enough then this is perfect for you. Personally, my body is my temple and my soul is too unique and of high value to allow myself to be blatantly used by another.

However, he who makes decisions with the wrong muscle, shall never make good ones. I would also question the self respect of a woman who allows a man access to herself merely to serve a sexual need. If we were simply animals, driven purely by instinct and survival then that's different but we have been given intelligence for a reason so we should make use of it.

I think you think too highly of sex.

I personally wouldn't be bothered if I had a "friends with benefits" relationship.

passage said:
Public_Enemy said:

Everyone has their own personal feelings and attitude towards sex. If they want to hold sex in a higher regard than others then that is their choice. If others don't and just see sex as a tool then that is their choice as well.

Sci-Fi said:
passage said:
Public_Enemy said:

Everyone has their own personal feelings and attitude towards sex. If they want to hold sex in a higher regard than others then that is their choice. If others don't and just see sex as a tool then that is their choice as well.

I agree but Public_Enemy is also judging others on their personal feelings and attitudes towards sex.

It never works out. One of them just starts developing feelings and it just gets strange. I seen it happen

Latest posts

Back