Geneforge 1: My Fave Game Series

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bee_Lover

Reaction score
I only have my PC to play any games on, and I prefer solo games, not those big games online where you play against other people. So PC games are all I tend to know about, and I have about 60 loaded on this one right now, of all genres.

My favorite genre is RPG/adventure type games, though I do not like the kind that is basically nothing but killing endless things. The plot is important to me. I find it hard to like a game totally, but Geneforge is one which has held my interest through all five games in the series, and I'd like to share it with you in case someone else would like to try it.

My favorite shoot-em-up is the Geneforge series, by Spiderweb Software (find them at www.spiderwebsoftware.com). This is a small indie company, owned by a guy named Jeff Vogel. The fifth (and final) in the series just was released, and you can play them in any order, but if you love the story behind a game, do play these in order :). You get the storyline in order and can see how it all evolved and how Jeff changed as he worked on later releases. I do not know this Jeff guy, just love him for what he has created, and I find the whole idea of making games fascinating.

Geneforge 1
The Shapers rule their land, able to create new life forms to serve their needs and to do powerful magic, training thier young up very strictly to know how to control it wisely (?). After years of working hard, you finally are being sent out to your first apprenticeship. You enjoy the trip, and then, you are attacked and your ship is sunk, and you barely make it to an island which according to your map was barred forever, totally off limits to everyone.

Problems. You find out slowly why it was barred, and then find out foreigners are there, stealing the secrets and it is all up to you to handle it and find a way off the island and back home to warn your people. It has to be you. There is nobody else.

It can be a dark game, few endings are outright happy, but then, this means war and is desperate in a hurry, and plays out in five great games. You can do whatever you wish in the games, choose your side as you go in later games after GF1, which really has to be a bit more directed, and even so, you have choices.

Another thing I like about how Jeff Vogel has done his company is that you can download it for FREE, and play about the first, oh, 20% as long as you want and take your time for free, for as long as you want, as the demo. Buy it to play further. So, if anyone wants to play it and talk about it here, and see what you think of it, that would be fun. If you have never played an RPG Adventure before, this is a great opportunity to try one and actually play plenty enough to get into it and see how you like it, or not.

What I do not like about it all, is that at the website, there are forums, and it will ruin the game fast if you read much there. That crowd likes cheats and basically rewriting scripts to make it more godlike, and that spoils the story unfolding for me. I have played GF1 many times and will play it again for anyone who would rather ask simple questions here about it. I will answer just enough to get you over the hump, and would enjoy doing it with you. Perhaps, if others come to like it, we can do them all together :). These are made for PC and Mac.

Anyone wanna play the free demo portion to see what you think?

Bee lover

Latest posts

Back