Glow in the Dark BMX project in the works

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm calling it "Project Night Rider": a hand painted, fully glow in the dark bicycle that is "charged" with light. Either UV light or sunlight works for charging the paints, but UV light is the best.
I'm lowkey excited to see how it turns out when it's done.

Attachments

• 20220711_121446.jpg
    20220711_121446.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 1
"Like my bike, it keeps me safe when I'm riding at night." :ROFLMAO:

That would be a really good idea. Any idea how long it glows for? Sometimes that glow-in-the-dark paint glows well for a little while and then it quickly fades out. Bicycles need a better way of being visible at night, reflectors are junk most of the time, lights don't always work well either. I've seen some where they have a light on the front which is fine for people coming towards you but nothing on the back, or the back one is so dim you can barely see it. The ones that charge by peddling are junk too, it gives off an inconsistent light. Nothing worse than a flickering light.

"Like my bike, it keeps me safe when I'm riding at night." :ROFLMAO:

That would be a really good idea. Any idea how long it glows for? Sometimes that glow-in-the-dark paint glows well for a little while and then it quickly fades out. Bicycles need a better way of being visible at night, reflectors are junk most of the time, lights don't always work well either. I've seen some where they have a light on the front which is fine for people coming towards you but nothing on the back, or the back one is so dim you can barely see it. The ones that charge by peddling are junk too, it gives off an inconsistent light. Nothing worse than a flickering light.
I still have to time it and see how long it glows for. I do know that the paints are supposed to last for at least 10 years. I used pigments and mixed it with clear paint so that the glow is better and they last longer. There is one company that sells glow in the dark bicycles, but they cost an arm and a leg to buy. This project didn't take nearly as much money as it does to just buy one.

I agree. For night riding, bikes need to have something to make sure that the rider is safe and that everyone on the road knows their presence.

This is my first time doing a project like this, so I know that not everything will go to plan, but it's coming out okay so far. My friend also wants me to paint his bike glow in the dark too, so that's good.

I like the idea. Maybe there's a way to attach small led UV lights that automatically go on and off at optimal times to recharge the glow. I doubt others are doing that. That should save big time on battery power. Plus it would keep the illumination going.

I used to fish a lot very early in the morning with glow in the dark bobbers. I would shine my UV flashlight on them for about 30 seconds and then cast out. It usually would last for about 12 minutes or so. It worked great. It was easy to see when a fish was on my line.

It sounds like a fun project.

I like the idea. Maybe there's a way to attach small led UV lights that automatically go on and off at optimal times to recharge the glow. I doubt others are doing that. That should save big time on battery power. Plus it would keep the illumination going.

I used to fish a lot very early in the morning with glow in the dark bobbers. I would shine my UV flashlight on them for about 30 seconds and then cast out. It usually would last for about 12 minutes or so. It worked great. It was easy to see when a fish was on my line.

It sounds like a fun project.
I really like that idea. I'll try and figure something out to make it work. I appreciate the idea. I have a UV flashlight, but your idea would definitely save on battery power and would save me from carrying a UV flashlight with me everywhere I go.

Latest posts

Back