Going into business versus low self-esteem

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bread

Reaction score
Yeah. Been thinking about this lately, mostly because my brother implanted the idea into my head. He's got a business of his own, and seems to be doing well in his field of expertise, but me...ach. I dunno. I've been studying web design for the past year, pondered upon going into business in that field, but I'm already self-defeating at step one.

I have a hard time telling wether or not my thoughts are soundly based on logical notions or simply have been undermined by my low view of my own skills and experiences which have fortified those views. Still, as said, web design...problem one is, the produce is pretty much immaterial or at least, mostly if not entirely in virtual form. I've read lots of horror stories about newbie mistakes giving away their work without proper contracts. I don't have much head for legal things or numbers, so I'm a bit wary to go into business in that regard. Second, being what the produce is, it's not tied to a strict number of suppliers. Hell, web design market is one nasty place for 'rising stars'. Big corporations having been making names for themselves, countless small time companies and then loner freelances...and I don't dread to ponder how well across the borders these services are rendered, given that digital media can be transferred across the globe with such ease these days...

I've done a few, very few illustrations till now, without pay or prestige, but at least there's some minute amount of experience to be derived from this as well as the few works I can honestly add to my portfolio without shame.

I've done some graphical work, but mostly find my two feet firmly on ground with sound and moving pictures, not so much code. Php is a nightmare I'm trying to unravel in due time, but I'll stick with what I know for the time being. I'm not alltogether satisfied with my illustrations, either. They don't have that professional look on 'em, and I don't really know what methods can be used to achieve such things.

Supposedly soon getting my official diploma (yay), and could consider going into business...but frankly, I'm scared it'll go belly up the first year and smash what little bits of confidence I have in myself and my artistic skills into fine dust. I don't know if I could go thru that. Other option of course is to seek employment in already existing companies in the same line o' work, but I doubt I'll manage to find a steady job. One measly diploma, an empty portfolio and high expectations from possible employers seem to make the search hopeless.

Summed up, bummed up about my own ineptitude and can't seem to decide the best course of action.

ummm i don't quite understand about gutting a job in your field, but maybe it will make you some good to build up your professional confidence by starting as an employee in an existing company, gaining some experience from there, or even from some more places until you will set your mind on what is good for you.
i study now for my B.sc right now and the advice we are given is start from the bottom, see how the business and job market runs in some jobs that will provide you more experience and knowledge then money on your first steps

Aye, I planned something along those lines. Still, getting a position in an existing company relies heavily on an impressive portfolio, something which I lack. Best bet is to go out there with a 'Will work for food' sign, 'till I really have something to show off, I guess. *Sigh*

You could look for an (unpaid) internship at a web design firm to get used to how the business works. I'm beginning a business in this field myself and share the same self-defeating concerns. I've learned that I need to just push through it and treat it all as an experiment and less seriously. Of course, following through and doing that is something else entirely.

I happen to be making a web design/developer teaching tool for programming languages right now, and if you think trying to learn everything in web design is overwhelming, just think of what it is like trying to teach it all!

luckyplatypus said:
You could look for an (unpaid) internship at a web design firm to get used to how the business works. I'm beginning a business in this field myself and share the same self-defeating concerns. I've learned that I need to just push through it and treat it all as an experiment and less seriously. Of course, following through and doing that is something else entirely.

I happen to be making a web design/developer teaching tool for programming languages right now, and if you think trying to learn everything in web design is overwhelming, just think of what it is like trying to teach it all!

Hmmmh. Food for thought. I had sworn off the local slave labour market (something of a lovable nickname I've given to our dear employment office's youth employment programs) since I always ended up getting a bad deal out of it all, but I might just look and see if any work is available this way. I just fear it might be in the way of 'Graphics design? We got you here to sweep 'em storages, boy-o! Now get a'sweepin'!*Lash*'...but it could be worth a try, at least, to look.

Bread said:
luckyplatypus said:

Hmmmh. Food for thought. I had sworn off the local slave labour market (something of a lovable nickname I've given to our dear employment office's youth employment programs) since I always ended up getting a bad deal out of it all, but I might just look and see if any work is available this way. I just fear it might be in the way of 'Graphics design? We got you here to sweep 'em storages, boy-o! Now get a'sweepin'!*Lash*'...but it could be worth a try, at least, to look.

If you don't see any positions listed, don't be afraid to go to somewhere you like and ask them directly. :D

Latest posts

Back