Going to a writer's group tonight. Nervous!

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

h3donist

Reaction score
So since my marriage ended and I've found myself living alone (I'm MUCH happier btw) so I've tried to keep myself busy, though all the activities I've chosen are things that can be done alone (no, not that! I'm talking about photography and travelling :p ) In fact last week I ticked off a bucket list item and went to the train station, went to the destination board and using a random number generator app on my phone I chose a platform and boarded whatever train was there! Going places is so much more exciting when you don't actually know where you'll end up ;)

However tonight I'm going to go to something that's making me really nervous, I'm going to a writer's group. I've been told that it's friendly and informal but I'm getting ridiculously jittery about the whole thing - being the only newbie in an established group, perhaps not having the same standard of enunciation and literacy as the others, some of the authors being possessive about their work, knowing that at the end of the day they are all competing to get a publishing contract etc etc...

...but then I remind myself that they were all in the same boat once - they were the newbie stepping into a room full of strangers, and it's in a pub so if they turn out to be horrible I can at least go to the bar and have a drink. So I'm going to push myself out of my comfort zone and go - and hope it was the best decision I've made because at the end of the day that's what life's all about - taking steps into the unknown and testing the limits of what you can achieve.

Who knows, maybe I'll be a famous author one day? If I don't try I'll never know :)

Wish me luck guys!

fingers crossed for you, in any case it sounds very interesting :) you never know what is going to happen or who you are going to meet...

Good luck with the group-I hope they all make you feel really welcome there.

That sounds like you could enjoy the time. Just try to relax and have fun. Good luck, h3donist.

h3donist said:
So since my marriage ended and I've found myself living alone (I'm MUCH happier btw) so I've tried to keep myself busy, though all the activities I've chosen are things that can be done alone (no, not that! I'm talking about photography and travelling :p ) In fact last week I ticked off a bucket list item and went to the train station, went to the destination board and using a random number generator app on my phone I chose a platform and boarded whatever train was there! Going places is so much more exciting when you don't actually know where you'll end up ;)

However tonight I'm going to go to something that's making me really nervous, I'm going to a writer's group. I've been told that it's friendly and informal but I'm getting ridiculously jittery about the whole thing - being the only newbie in an established group, perhaps not having the same standard of enunciation and literacy as the others, some of the authors being possessive about their work, knowing that at the end of the day they are all competing to get a publishing contract etc etc...

...but then I remind myself that they were all in the same boat once - they were the newbie stepping into a room full of strangers, and it's in a pub so if they turn out to be horrible I can at least go to the bar and have a drink. So I'm going to push myself out of my comfort zone and go - and hope it was the best decision I've made because at the end of the day that's what life's all about - taking steps into the unknown and testing the limits of what you can achieve.

Who knows, maybe I'll be a famous author one day? If I don't try I'll never know :)

Wish me luck guys!

Good luck !

I remember going myself 20 years ago. They wanted me to read out some of my work. I was really nervous doing that !

Thanks guys - I had a great time :) They all seemed very nice and I got talking to a couple of them and the venues good too. The first hour was spent talking about a guided subject (this week it was endings) then we had two readings of oeoples work in progress that we were able to critique and examine, so overall it was a great thing to do.

My next test of my limits will be signing up to do a reading - my stutter makes things a bit complicated but I'm looking forward to seeing what people think of my writing so far.

Thanks all :)

It's great that you enjoyed it so much and that you were made so welcome. They sound like a nice bunch of people. Good luck with your future reading.

Glad to hear you had a great time H3donist it sounds pretty interesting. Like Tiina said, good luck with the reading when you do one :)

That sounds exciting! Glad to hear you liked it and have fun with your future meetings.
Also, I love that idea of going to a train station without knowing your destination :) I find myself getting lost on occasion while driving through neighborhoods and sometimes see new places that I never knew existed, it can be a great learning experience :)

-Teresa

Thank you :)

Yes it was fantastic to go somewhere, not knowing where I'll end up. I found myself in Nottingham, and had a great wander around the city and found the National Videogames Museum where I spent many hours playing games on all the old machines. I didn't even know it existed so it was serendipitous :D

Latest posts

Back