Going to nowhere special alone

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Restless soul

Reaction score
Hey. I am sure there is a similar thread burried on here.
So what I was getting at is..When you have absolutely nothing to do and you have no ideas of what to do, like today for instance. And you are dying to meet people
( usually a woman ) and lets forget meetup.com for a second. I always see that thrown out there as the only thing and I don't think its for everyone.oh And the gym. Lets leave those two out. Ok so now that we have meetup and the gym out of the way how often do you venture out of your comfort zone to go to a place specifically where you might meet people? And when I say venture out I mean take a car, train, bike, walk And travel more than 20 min to a different location. And when you have did you..

A. Feel like it was worth the effort?
B. What was that destination?
C. Meet anyone?

Just looking for ideas. I feel a bit lost when it comes to venturing out of my usual area which is a pretty busy area in itself with plenty of women just walking around.
So it almost feels pointless to travel without any direction or purpose or location you see being better. Anyway, that is all that I have to say for now. Thanks

I've actually done this a couple of times. I will take a long walk through the city I live in looking for nothing in particular. Maybe a bar or a store where I can find some people. A square or any time of space but I hasn't worked. People already have their circle of friends and pick up isn't a thing here so girls are not very happy to ba approached in public.

Xpendable said:
I've actually done this a couple of times. I will take a long walk through the city I live in looking for nothing in particular. Maybe a bar or a store where I can find some people. A square or any time of space but I hasn't worked. People already have their circle of friends and pick up isn't a thing here so girls are not very happy to ba approached in public.

Thanks for the reply. Yes the same with me. But the walks I would say don't count since they are typically within the neighborhood eventhough Iove walking.
And meeting on the streey is tough. Makes you feel desperate and cheap. Although I have done it. But not my ideal route. Although it's hard not to want to when that is where everyone is

sentiententity said:
Learning to do things alone comfortably is an important skill to have.

Like obviously. But the point was for the lost souls of the thread. The kind that are burnt out to do things alone. Or just have no direction, and would prefer a significant other to do things with. The kind who have nothing to look foward to at night, weekends. And taking a train to a pier or a boardwalk just doesn't appeal.

Get pokemon go. Join a local pokemon go facebook group. Travel to an event. Make new friends. You dont even have to like pokemon.

Its how my roommate met his current gf. The last event i went to had at least 1000 people there. That was probably the last time i went out. Mostly because ive been working since then every day.

Interesting. Thanks. I don't use fb. But I can't believe the Pokémon craze is still going strong

Hi,

A: no
B: another country
C: just some folks

I agree with you when you say that you feel pointless wandering without a purpose. I used to do it, probably for escape from the boringness or sadness, and lookin for something better. The fact is that every time I thought of something better, It was only in my mind, in my expectations. When It comes to be concrete, everything is the same (honeysuckle:D). Now I stopped to wandering around, it was only a loss of energy, instead I practice meditation. Just sit in that unberiable situation, best thing I ever done; after few time that you stopped to running away from your self you become more aware about your feeling, and thing change..

Guess said:
Hi,

A: no
B: another country
C: just some folks

I agree with you when you say that you feel pointless wandering without a purpose. I used to do it, probably for escape from the boringness or sadness, and lookin for something better. The fact is that every time I thought of something better, It was only in my mind, in my expectations. When It comes to be concrete, everything is the same (honeysuckle:D). Now I stopped to wandering around, it was only a loss of energy, instead I practice meditation. Just sit in that unberiable situation, best thing I ever done; after few time that you stopped to running away from your self you become more aware about your feeling, and thing change..

Yes. I am one of those people who would enjoy doing things and going to places with a girlfriend or friend preferably a girlfriend. I don't know if you are a guy or a girl. But I know(some) people here are going to say that is just a crutch only wanting to do things with a girl you like being with. And you know, maybe it is to some degree. But so what? There are people that can go travel, with groups they do not know and love it. And then there is the latter someone who would rather travel or do something with someone they already know and feel close with. And I am going to take a guess and say most here on this site are more like the latter.

I agree with you , I only enjoy doing things with my SO when i have one, if not i feel completly emply and bad and i prefer to stay at home.

So to reiterate; The topic means going out anywhere in public when you feel the need to get out.
I.e. bars, parks, museums. Places you would have to travel to. And when you stay local what are some of the things you do end up doing alone that you either like, or maybe are kinda sick of doing? For example I lead a pretty unproductive life sad to say. So when I do go out it would be a Starbucks or dunkin donuts just a place to go and chill. And yes, that is getting kinda lame and monotonous

Personally, I don't think it matters where you go. The key is to talk to people. You can meet someone anywhere, as long as you talk to them. Next time you go somewhere, just say hi to people or say something about where you are, like if you go to a museum, ask someone what they think about something or say something about the exhibit.

Go to parks, zoos, museums. Look online to see what is in your area and go see the sights and have fun. Whatever you have around you, or even a nearby place that isn't too far, go be a tourist.

TheRealCallie said:
Personally, I don't think it matters where you go. The key is to talk to people. You can meet someone anywhere, as long as you talk to them. Next time you go somewhere, just say hi to people or say something about where you are, like if you go to a museum, ask someone what they think about something or say something about the exhibit.

Go to parks, zoos, museums. Look online to see what is in your area and go see the sights and have fun. Whatever you have around you, or even a nearby place that isn't too far, go be a tourist.

Well, I'd say more than just hi. Probably Hello, have a nice day. That'll really give people a smile.

On my more adventurous and daring days i'll go for a walk downtown to see a movie or have a drink at a bar. I'm basically like a ghost everywhere I go on days like this. The people who are paid to serve me will talk to me, but I've never met anyone else, let alone a woman, on any of these little adventures. (Going out on New Years I briefly spoke to a very sweet bartender, but she wasn't there on either of the two other nights I went over there, typical).I go to the gym every day almost, never met anyone there, even though I see the same people there every day. Most people wear earbuds there, a sign they're not looking for anyone to hook up with. It's bothersome because I've had a crush on the woman I see on the Arc trainer next to me every day. Honestly though, I probably wouldn't talk to her even if she wasn't listening to her music or whatever all the time, because that's how I am. In my younger days after high school i'd go for walks in the middle of the day, having nothing else to do. I don't think I've met a single solitary person any of the times I've gone out anywhere by myself.

asatisfiedmind said:
On my more adventurous and daring days i'll go for a walk downtown to see a movie or have a drink at a bar. I'm basically like a ghost everywhere I go on days like this. The people who are paid to serve me will talk to me, but I've never met anyone else, let alone a woman, on any of these little adventures. (Going out on New Years I briefly spoke to a very sweet bartender, but she wasn't there on either of the two other nights I went over there, typical).I go to the gym every day almost, never met anyone there, even though I see the same people there every day. Most people wear earbuds there, a sign they're not looking for anyone to hook up with. It's bothersome because I've had a crush on the woman I see on the Arc trainer next to me every day. Honestly though, I probably wouldn't talk to her even if she wasn't listening to her music or whatever all the time, because that's how I am. In my younger days after high school i'd go for walks in the middle of the day, having nothing else to do. I don't think I've met a single solitary person any of the times I've gone out anywhere by myself.

You're afraid.

Recently taking the train in nyc. Where I live. I haven't taken the subway for years. And I think I know why. All related to this threada topic. I sadly had nowhere to go. Meet. And taking things like the subway was a journey pf lonliness I jusy cluldnt take. Especially now I took the subway yesterday. Not an easy task. Might make a new thread about living in nyc. How the lonliness is palpable. Depending on your mental state

Restless soul said:
Recently taking the train in nyc. Where I live. I haven't taken the subway for years. And I think I know why. All related to this threada topic. I sadly had nowhere to go. Meet. And taking things like the subway was a journey pf lonliness I jusy cluldnt take. Especially now I took the subway yesterday. Not an easy task. Might make a new thread about living in nyc. How the lonliness is palpable. Depending on your mental state

You had nowhere to go? What do you mean?

I can imagine. But living in a giant busy city like that, you need to not take it to heart. It's easy to let the atmosphere influence your loneliness, but it's not supposed to.

Latest posts

Back