Great expectations

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thrax

Reaction score
Ok, so now that I made my first post in the introduction room, I can finally ask what's been on my mind for the past week.

Is it wrong to approach a possible friend with expectations?

It seems like most people have a bunch of acquaintances, casual friends and a few close friends, and those in the first category move on to the second and maybe to the third, like in a continuous stream. Perhaps 1 close friend is lost, but there are other close friends and a whole network of acquaintances and casual friends.

The problem with me, an avoidant, is that I have none from the 2 latter categories. And every time someone reaches out to me I tend to consider him/her as a potential close friend, but with time that hope gets horribly crushed, and the potential friend ends up in the big pile of acquaintances. In other words, for me the flow is in the other direction, from top to bottom.

These past few days have been horribly depressant, because of a lot of problems (including my father's death almost 2 months ago), but especially because someone came into my life, offered her friendship like no one had done before, and am now finally realizing that she also belongs in the big pile. Symptoms of a failed friendship include a sudden lack of support and zero communication unless I initiate it. I feel she played (unintentionally) with my emotions, but am wondering if it wasn't me who just got it wrong by having great expectations and set my self up for disappointment. (It is possible she just wants to be a casual friend, but the whole concept seems very unappealing to me. I don't know what to do with a casual friend, but chitchat about inane things once in a while. That certainly doesn't help me at this point in my life.)

What do you think? Is it wrong to expect things from people, even when you perceive certain positive signals in the beginning? Do normal people get friends and romantic relationships by playing it super cool, never expecting anything from others?

Well, Thrax, I try to not have any expectations when it comes to people. I joined this forum and without even trying I made a very good friend. We exchange emails and postal mails as well. I am so happy that I met my friend. As I told you before I have no friends in my 'real' life and having my online friend has provided me with SO much support and friendship and at a maintainable level for both of us. Maybe this could happen for you.
I did not come here with that intention, I came here because I Googled " How Lonely can a person get?" and Poof! Here I am!
This has been the first forum I have ever been able to maintain and participate in on any level, well, since I have been online...and that has been like 12 years.
I wish you good luck and hope you find what you are looking for!

I'm sorry for the lost of your father.

Grieving can be a difficult time for a lot of people.
Everyone reacts different to grieving.
Some people get really emotional..others shut down.
Some people party and celebrate.

Poeple don't really know what to say or do when you're grieving.

I personally had to take a time out and allow myself to process my losts.
I was emotionally and mentally unstabled. For me personally I didn't expect too much
out of anyone.

Some poeple that didn't relized what i was going through personally..simply thought i was wacked
or had major issues.

The people that I allow myself to open up to or actaully listen to me...were more understanding.
However they didn't really know what to say to me. Even my sponsor just kind of let me be.

A new friend that I met..God sent her into my life when I needed her the most.
She was very understanding and reached out to me.
Slowly I allowed myself to open up to her and alot of things that I boggle up inside came out.
She had to hold me really, really tight and just let me break down and cry.
She also spent a lot of time with me and wasn't too judgmental.
We became very ,very good friends.

Also at the sametime...when I wasn't too emotional. I was able to be there for her.
Just to listen to her and just be with her when she needed me.
When she's distrut..she reacts in her own way. If you didn't know and saw her in those moments..
you probably thought she was a total wierdo.

I spent some time with her today. She's doing much better.
She been going through a lot of depression or migrains last week..She was a tripping sort of.
I told her it was her dieabity that was messing her up...but nah she didn't listen.lol

No...i wouldn't expect anything out of anyone.

Also the other day my other friend was going through the samething.
His grandmother passed away a month ago. He was really close to her.
For the first couple of weeks he had to call me all the time to just talk about it.
Share his feelings and thoughts and processed them. He would get very emotional and sometimes
break down into tears and just cried...but that was okay. I mostly just listen to him or just be there
for him. Whatever he was feeling or going through was okay. I didn't have any answers for him.
I just listened.

Anyway, he told me he was thinking about calling his grandmother yesterday and started dialing the numbers.
He shared that with me...it was okay. He wasn't crazy.
I was doing the samething for almost 6 months and still catch myself sometimes.
I used to answer to Jenni or had converations with her as if she's still alive.

One of the reason why my new Female friend kind of understood me.
She was going through a greiving process of her father.
Her father committed sueicide when she was a child. She never process her grieving for the lost of her father.
She held that inside of her for many years until she was able to let go.

you know.. i do that every time, and yes, it was like that for me as well. i don't think it's wrong, i guess it just will take you time untill you will find your real friends...
i know the heartbreak involved only too well, but omg - friends are worth anything.

(((((((((((((((((((((((hug)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

i hope she will be back to the way she was before for you and that tthat is a temporary thing, and that you'll find many more good people for the first group.

shade.

I'm the opposite. I'm the friend you would expect something from but who backs away the moment the friendship seems too close. I only really expect people to be people, but I have some trust issues. I'd rather not be hurt and not hurt others. Both have happened. These days, people are just there mostly. They're not friends, they're just people. That's clearly not the way it is for everyone, though. There is no clear line between pushing friends away, simply relying on their friendship, and taking advantage. Like any relationship, it works when two people's needs are compatible. If what you need from a friend is something they are unwilling or unable to give, you may find a friend who can provide that. At least, that's the way I understand it.

Thanks, everyone (especially to packyourbags for that virtual hug). I'm gonna think things over with myself and my psychologist today, and will post more later.

I feel the same. I have lots of "acquaintances" but I haven't made any real friends in many years. I'm lucky though, as I have 2 friends that I have known since childhood and I wouldn't trade them for the world. I think I'm just a bit unusual and it takes a long time for people to accept me for what i am. I think you should drop your expectations because it might possibly come across to people that you are a bit desperate. Don't lose hope though. You just need to find someone with a similar mind set to you and I'm sure a friendship will blossom sooner or later.

Thrax said:
Symptoms of a failed friendship include a sudden lack of support and zero communication unless I initiate it. I feel she played (unintentionally) with my emotions, but am wondering if it wasn't me who just got it wrong by having great expectations and set my self up for disappointment.

I'm in a pretty similar situation, except I think my "friend" intentionally played with my emotions. It's a long story, the end of it is that I'm currently trying to cut her out of my life. Friendship is a two-way street... and it sounds to me like she probably isn't looking so much for a friend as someone who will probably be there to support her when she needs it without having to reciprocate.

I think we all have expectations about others to some extent... and that's a healthy thing. Those expectations protect us from becoming involved with people who we would be better off without. If we set our expectations too high - yes, that may be a problem. It sounds to me like you have pretty reasonable expectations, though, Thrax.

No,it is not wrong to have expectation with a friend.You definitely will have expectations from a friend,so dun worry about it
I have a lot of zero communication until I initiate it.The truth is,most people go for the talkative one than the quiet one.It also takes a long time to have a friend to a close friend normally too.

Strangely,most of the friends I made that gone so good in the beginning quickly ends up to be acquaintance in the end.

Sorry about your dad.

I dont think its wrong to expect something from friends because Im sure they expect something from you too. Just as long as it isnt the impossible.
I know a couple of friends who consider me their best friend but I dont.. I feel really bad but then Im the one who always calls them and is there for them but when it comes to me they're not and it really sucks when you're putting so much efforts into making someone happy and they give nothing in return.

Latest posts

Back