Greetings from the East Midlands!

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larry

Reaction score
Greetings! Sobriety kept me from introducing myself sooner but now I am nicely tanked-up and my inhibitions have the better of me!

My name is Larry. I live on the border of Nottingham and Derby in the English Midlands. I recently turned 31 and I am currently unemployed. I live with my parents and for all but four years of my life I have been single and very lonely. By the time I reached thirty I was supposed to be living in a love nest with my better half but it didn't work out that way. Hence, I'm still stuck at home. I cannot afford to move out and, in spite of how trying it can be to live with my folks, I wouldn't much want to live alone. Much of the time I feel I've had as much of my own company as I can stand. I have always felt (and been made to feel) older than my years. It sometimes feels like I was stillborn at 25! I have a small number of exceptionally good friends but they're all married, soon to be married or at any rate attached and have their future course in life pretty much mapped out. Hence, I don't feel I have very much common ground with them.

I mainly spend my days collecting books and DVDs. I have accumulated thousands of each and am rapidly running out of space to accommodate them. Don't get me wrong, I love reading and watching films but if I live to be a hundred (a dreadful prospect) I'll never have time to read and watch everything I have accumulated so far. It keeps me occupied but that cluttered and dusty room is really nothing more than a testament to my loneliness. I would much rather the money and the time involved in accruing it all had been spent in some other manner. In short, I'd get rid of the lot in an instant in exchange for a more satisfying and fulfilling existence.

Ordinarily I never talk openly to anyone about my loneliness or the depression I frequently experience. It's too difficult and I can see no point in attempting to discuss it. In the first place, nobody I know would understand remotely what I was talking about and secondly, every lonely person's experience is unique to them. I wouldn't expect anybody to identify with my own personal situation. Outwardly I am a fairly gregarious and very good humoured person. In fact, I would go as far as to say I have somewhat of a gift for making people laugh. I have long held writing ambitions but given that I never allow myself the opportunity to properly pursue them, there seems little point in elaborating here. Suffice it to say, I know I ought to make the effort.

I don't know what to expect from this site. I may become an active user; I may not. In my experience most forums tend to be dominated by about half a dozen people with several hundred other users inactive. However, that doesn't appear to be the case here.

Earlier today I went out to the post office and after leaving I stood on the pavement, only for thirty seconds or so, literally not knowing what to do next. I was reminded of a passage from a Kurt Vonnegut novel, Mother Night, which I read a few years back. I think it was finding myself in that situation and being reminded of these words (quoted below) that convinced me I should at least post on this forum:

I took perhaps fifty steps down the sidewalk, and then I stopped. I froze...What froze me was the fact that I had absolutely no reason to move in any direction. What had made me move through so many dead and pointless years was curiosity. Now even that flickered out.

Of course, some days I am very curious. I feel as though I could read absolutely anything and find it beneficial to do so. I love to learn and the option to do so is always there. But I also want the option to share my thoughts, my experiences, my knowledge and my humour with at least one other person. Some days I feel I ought to reconcile myself wholly to life as it stands. More frequently I resent my situation and feel compelled to renege against it. I expect that is a common dilemma among people registered on here. I'm not looking for theories or words of encouragement. If anything I am here to escape any reminder of my situation. I'm not one to wallow in self pity. There is nothing to be gained by that. Self-styled experts are forever telling people such as myself to “get out there” (whatever that means) and in a small way I'd like to think that's what I'm doing.

Thanks for reading.

I know what you mean about realizing you have nothing else to do. That's how I feel everyday after work. Sometimes my boss will ask me to stay late and I say no but then I question why I said no... its not like I really have anything going on after work. I've been a member here for a while now but rarely post and I only come on when I'm feeling really lonely- today is one of those days. Its actually reassuring to be able to read what you said and relate to most of what you said. Hope you found somewhere to take a step towards this evening :)

Larry said:
Greetings! Sobriety kept me from introducing myself sooner but now I am nicely tanked-up and my inhibitions have the better of me!

My name is Larry. I live on the border of Nottingham and Derby in the English Midlands. I recently turned 31 and I am currently unemployed. I live with my parents and for all but four years of my life I have been single and very lonely. By the time I reached thirty I was supposed to be living in a love nest with my better half but it didn't work out that way. Hence, I'm still stuck at home. I cannot afford to move out and, in spite of how trying it can be to live with my folks, I wouldn't much want to live alone. Much of the time I feel I've had as much of my own company as I can stand. I have always felt (and been made to feel) older than my years. It sometimes feels like I was stillborn at 25! I have a small number of exceptionally good friends but they're all married, soon to be married or at any rate attached and have their future course in life pretty much mapped out. Hence, I don't feel I have very much common ground with them.

I mainly spend my days collecting books and DVDs. I have accumulated thousands of each and am rapidly running out of space to accommodate them. Don't get me wrong, I love reading and watching films but if I live to be a hundred (a dreadful prospect) I'll never have time to read and watch everything I have accumulated so far. It keeps me occupied but that cluttered and dusty room is really nothing more than a testament to my loneliness. I would much rather the money and the time involved in accruing it all had been spent in some other manner. In short, I'd get rid of the lot in an instant in exchange for a more satisfying and fulfilling existence.

Ordinarily I never talk openly to anyone about my loneliness or the depression I frequently experience. It's too difficult and I can see no point in attempting to discuss. it. In the first place, nobody I know would understand remotely what I was talking about and secondly, every lonely person's experience is unique to them. I wouldn't expect anybody to identify with my own personal situation. Outwardly I am a fairly gregarious and very good humoured person. In fact, I would go as far as to say I have somewhat of a gift for making people laugh. I have long held writing ambitions but given that I never allow myself the opportunity to properly pursue them, there seems little point in elaborating here. Suffice it to say, I know I ought to make the effort.

I don't know what to expect from this site. I may become an active user; I may not. In my experience most forums tend to be dominated by about half a dozen people with several hundred other users inactive. However, that doesn't appear to be the case here.

Earlier today I went out to the post office and after leaving I stood on the pavement, only for thirty seconds or so, literally not knowing what to do next. I was reminded of a passage from a Kurt Vonnegut novel, Mother Night, which I read a few years back. I think it was finding myself in that situation and being reminded of these words (quoted below) that convinced me I should at least post on this forum:

I took perhaps fifty steps down the sidewalk, and then I stopped. I froze...What froze me was the fact that I had absolutely no reason to move in any direction. What had made me move through so many dead and pointless years was curiosity. Now even that flickered out.

Of course, some days I am very curious. I feel as though I could read absolutely anything and find it beneficial to do so. I love to learn and the option to do so is always there. But I also want the option to share my thoughts, my experiences, my knowledge and my humour with at least one other person. Some days I feel I ought to reconcile myself wholly to life as it stands. More frequently I resent my situation and feel compelled to renege against it. I expect that is a common dilemma among people registered on here. I'm not looking for theories or words of encouragement. If anything I am here to escape any reminder of my situation. I'm not one to wallow in self pity. There is nothing to be gained by that. Self-styled experts are forever telling people such as myself to “get out there” (whatever that means) and in a small way I'd like to think that's what I'm doing.

Thanks for reading.

Hi Larry
What an eloquent post. I hope you find what you're looking for here.
Perhaps you could post some of your writings in the creative section of this forum.

Hi Larry.
I have a similar outlook to yourself,I don't come hear to pour my heart out, (though I may do in private messages) but having said that,anyone can if they want to,and I'm sure it helps if they do.I tend to hide my personal problems behind my clown act,I always have done.So I tend to hang around the fun forums,there are some real stars there,and it does genuinely cheer me up.Horses for courses I suppose.
Anyway welcome to the site.

Thank you folks. I can see I've made a wise move in opting to introduce myself.

Labelsorlove3, regrettable though it was that you felt compelled to log in to this site yesterday, I'm glad that you did and am heartened by the fact that you were able to relate to my message. It's funny what a difference that can make, isn't it. It is, as you said, reassuring. Incidentally, my Saturday evening was much the same as any other; spent at home, passing the time with a nice film and a very good book, and didn't involve taking any steps. I hope you managed to find contentment this evening also.

Firefly, thank you for your kind words. I am not somebody who thrives on compliments or words of encouragement (which is just as well!) but I do derive a lot of pleasure when somebody gets something out of my writing. I am determined to do more of it and rest assured I would like to produce something that I could share with an appreciative audience on this forum.

Jilted John, thank you for your welcoming words. It was indeed the more light-hearted sections of this site that I found encouraging enough to make me register. Of course, most forums have fun stuff but I've seldom seen fit to join them. They're too often cliquiest and it's hard to make ones presence felt. However, with a forum geared toward people to whom loneliness is the common link, I'd like to think this site is free from those tendencies. At any rate I intend to explore presently.

Thanks again.

Hi Larry, I'm another newbie from the Midlands :)

A lot of your post really resonated with me.

Hi Evalution. Good to see we're putting the Midlands on the map and nice to know you can identify with much of what I had to say...although I guess it would be preferable not to, if you understand my meaning.

Hey Larry, nice to meet you! I'm a university of leicester girl myself :)

Hi PurpleDays, nice to meet you too. I was a University of Derby girl...many years ago!

Latest posts

Back