Grundel's guide to meeting a girl!

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brian said:
Poking fun at each other is actually a big part of male socialization I've found. It's not generally meant to be offensive; it's just to kid around.

OMG is this ever true. The guy I work most of the time with is always poking fun at me for stupid stuff. And I do it to him. Tonight he was giving me crap because the weather has my knees aching really bad and I was limping. I said, yeah, I don't do the 2 step when I dance, I can only do the 1 1/2 step. Of course I had already given him honeysuckle for forgetting his tool box keys. But I said it was ok since he doesn't do anything to beed tools anyway. :p Hell, it's nothing for us to just flip each other off. And he's my boss. LMAO

My point is it's natural to get razzed for things by guys. honeysuckle, even girls do it to ya from time to time. And if they do it usually means they like you. Otherwise they wouldn't waste the time having fun with you, even if it is at your expense. ;) LoL The trick is to not let it get to you but to learn to laugh with them when it really is all in the name of fun.

There ya go, perfect example. And it actually is fun a lot of the time. I have pretty much the same relationship with my boss.

What's funny is how he relates to one of my coworkers, who's kind of the veteran of the crew right next to the boss. He sits shotgun in the truck, so Boss picks on him incessantly. Depending on how many Mountain Dews he has in him, the mentioned coworker is pretty butthurt by the end of the day. When really if he'd just lighten up, everything would be fine. The rest of us have taken to teasing them about how closely they resemble a married couple. And they really do.

Though I will say. Boss is a *genuine ******** on occasion. :p

ExtensivexLDL said:
Sorry, I've been wanting to respond to this thread for a while, but been having trouble with internet connection

grundel70 said:
This is to piggy back off of my post…

http://www.alonelylife.com/so-guy-have-never-been-on-date-before-t-4854.html

One of the points I was trying to make with the above post is that it is ok if you are ‘older’ and have never been with a girl! I was also trying to use my own example to show that as long as you put a little bit of effort into yourself that it will happen.

However, I also think that some guys simply don’t know how. They have no clue how to ‘get a girl’ or simply talk to one. I am hoping to help a little bit with this post.

Before I start, however, I want to say that I myself am no cassanova. I have failed a lot at this. Despite that, however, I have had my moments.

First of all you all should know that it is not about looks. I will say that again…the dating game is NOT about looks. For every girl out there that wants a perfect body on their man there is a girl that likes skinny men…or fat guys…or bald guys…or African/american guys…or Asians…or Latinos…

Same goes for girls. Most of the guy friends I have are NOT into super models. My best friend is a chubby chaser…he likes fat girls. I mean he LOVES them. He married a girl that was in good shape. I was surprised by this until I saw them this year at Christmas. She had put on a lot of weight...I know he is loving that…

You have to get out into the world. If you sit at home you won’t meet anyone. If you don’t interact with anyone when you are out then you won’t meet anyone. Just get out of the house! Go places. Be a part of the world. Yes, it may be painful to see couples…but you will never become a couple if you don’t at least get out into the world. You can’t win a game you don’t even try to play…

That is just the first step. Once you are out there you will eventually need to interact with someone. In some cases, a outgoing young lady may approach you. Personally this has happened to me only once, it was recently. In 38 years one time…so based on those odds I would not expect it. Maybe you are a good looking guy…that of course will increase the chances of this happening. I personally won’t bet on it though…

If there is a girl you fancy then you will need to talk to her. The best and easiest way to do this is to simply go up and say ‘Hi!’. That is it. If you are afraid of saying anything more then this will help you gain confidence. I promise you nothing bad will happen! The worse case is they will laugh at you and walk away. The best case is they will be talk your ear off cause they think you are cute! If they laugh at you, then that is ok! I will be shocked if this happens, but if it does so be it. Take it like a man and move on. You will NOT be the first guy that got rejected or laughed at by a girl! It is part of the whole ‘game’.

Another thing that works well is complimenting them! A simple ‘Hi! I just wanted to say that I thought you looked really pretty’. That is it. It is not a hard thing to say, and I promise you that they will not be mean back to you. What you will probably get is a ‘thanks’. Now if they seem distant or maybe caught off guard, then that probably means they are not interested…so you just move on. On the other hand you come across one that is like ‘awwww thank you! That is so sweet!’. Then they will talk to you! If you are shy then tell them! Smile and say ‘I ‘m sorry, I am just a little shy is all’. A lot of girls like shy guys!! At least then they will know why you don’t talk much and they may end up talking your ear off! My first wife loved how shy I was.

Maybe talking to them is daunting. Maybe you just can’t work up the nerve. There are other things you can do. Give them a flower. Write a note saying what it is you are having trouble saying outloud. Sometimes that will break the ice.

If you work or go to school with them then maybe hint to someone that knows you both you like them. The word will get around and that may spur them to take action! It may also help you weed them out if they are not interested. I have done this before and I will say this is a more nerve wracking way of doing it. It takes time laying down all f the hints. Then it takes time for the ‘word’ to get to your target you like them. Then you have to wait and see how they react…

The bottom line is that you have to try something. That is all you have to do. Just try. Yes, you will fail. You will be rejected. You will be laughed at. Expect this! When it happens you will find out that it really isn’t that bad. The more you try, the easier it becomes. You will learn what works for you, and what doesn’t. You will learn what you feel comfortable with, and what makes you nervous. And eventually you will gain confidence in yourself! You have to keep trying though. If you fail 10 times, try 10 more. If you fail 100 times, try 100 more. Don’t give up! Don’t say ‘well I talked to a couple girls and they laughed at me…I guess no one wants me…’ All that means is that you ran into 10 mean girls. That probably means the chances are you won’t run into any more for a long time! Either that or your approach is wrong! Try something different! (Hey *****, want to fornicate? May not be the best line…)

Lastly, you will need to also try and fix some things about yourself before you really try and get into a relationship. I am not saying that depressed, lonely, or messed up folks can’t get a date. But what I am saying is that in many cases when you do finally get one it will be especially hard. Try to get your ship on the right track. If you think you are fat then work out. If you think you are ugly then dress nice. If having no money bums you out then get a job! If you are completely depressed, alone, and constantly negative then getting a girl will not solve that problem. Relationships are stressful. You worry a lot about them (if you care that is), they worry about you. You will see them mad. You will see them cry. You will see them at their most unlovable moments. And they will see you too as well. You will see them sick. Angry. Sad. Crazy. Weird. You will be nagged. You may nag them. You will be snapped at, and you may snap back. You will argue. You will not agree with something they say or do. They will have friends or family that will not like you, and you not liking them. You will see that look in their eye and think ‘crap…what did I do?’. You will get that feeling in the pit of your stomach that is indescribable to anyone that just hasn’t felt it yet. The old ‘Crap I am in the dog house’ feeling. Let me tell you, it sucks.’.

Also remember. If this is your first relationship, it will probably not work. I don’t want to discourage you, but that is simply the truth. Like anything it will probably take a couple tries. Learn from it what you can. When it finally is over, you will know what being broken hearted is. You will know pain like no other. Longing. Suffering. You will cry like a baby. Welcome to manhood!

Hope this helps you guys!

Just wanted to say that this is excellent and all, about as good as anything I've ever read, but it ignores two important points. Firstly, there's the implicit assumption that you encounter attractive girls (ones you'd be interested in) on a regular basis. While this certainly depends on where you spend the majority of your time, it also depends on one's personal tastes. I'm personally DEFINATELY not attracted to every other girl I see and so this approach you've outlined, where you try approaching girls 10 times and fail and then try 10 more, (or 100 times and 100 again or w.e.), is gonna take ages for me personally. Also, in regards to where you talk about approaching a girl to talk and getting shut down, I pose this question: "Do you really want to do this if others are around?"
What if you encounter those people again? Do you think they'll be looking up to you ever since and then go, "Wow, you really had the balls to approach that girl back then", when they see you again? Ionno.. seems like they'll probably be poking fun at you and if they do see you again and you find yourself in a situation where you're interacting with those people.

Now I have some questions for you, if you could answer them:

1. Is it right to approach a girl if she's tuned in to her Ipod?On her laptop? Both? Reading a book? Conversing with another girl(s) the whole time?

2. When does a girl you're dating become your girlfriend? If you've been out with her on say 6/7 dates, is it imperative to explicitely ask her to be your girfriend the next time you go out? (assuming you want her to be), or do you just let things develop naturally so that soon there's no clear distinguish between the concept of her only being the girl you're dating and your significant other?

3. Finally, I've always held the concept that whether it's appropriate to ask a girl out depends on how much time you've spent interacting with one another, i.e. there's no point in asking for her number otherwise as she'll probably only think that you're asking her for general purposes and not in order to set a date with her...

---Just meaning that it should come naturally and that's it's better to ask her to hang out sometime (if you could do it at that precise moment) rather than to just for her number.. My opinion anyway, maybe you believe otherwise.

Anyways I know I wrote a lot but let me know what you think in regards to all this if you can.

-Extensive

First of all...

Brian had some pretty **** good answers to your questions extensive!

Second of all...

I am no romeo myself! Lets just say that if the dating game were baseball I would be the back up first basemen...

Don't worry about other people. They are not living your life. I remember I was at this really crowded reseraunt park. A saw this guy walk right up to this chick and make a move. she just rolled her eyes and walked away. I saw the whole thing. I looked at him, smiled and said 'keep it up! you still got plenty of at bats!'. He laughed and walked on.

Yeah, people are going to see you fail. Don't worry about what they say. That is part of confidence. I always laugh at myself first. Then others laugh with you...not at you. Trust me, most people are going to be more incined to give you props for approaching a girl than will give you a hard time for failing. In either case, you can't let that fear interfere with what you want.

As far as where to go...it is like I said. You have to get out into the game. If your current life schedule does not lead you to meet girls, then you may want to change something or add something that will. It may take longer...but the thing is you have to keep trying.

Approach those that you are more comfortable with first. Personally, an I pod or laptop would be off limits to me. If I were listening to music or working on a laptop...i would not want to be bothered. It depends though. Maybe you can ask them directions, or something like that...but that often doesnt really lead anywhere.

Girls with friends? Wow! That would take some cajones! If it were me, I would probably say something about them all...like 'wow...I dont mean to interupt, but I don' think I have seen a more lovely group of ladies..' or something like that. I don't know...that may or may not work. But man, go for it! Let me know how it turns out! Me? I tend to only flirt with woman on their own, standing next to me in line somewhere, etc...

As far as when does dating turn into a relationship? That totally depends on you guys. Some folks think 2 dates and we are a couple. Others think it may be years! I have always said that you 'know' when someone really likes you. If you get a second date, then already there is some interest. If she didn't like you, she would not go out a second time. When you date...well you know, I think that may be a whole new thread! There are just so many variables...who makes the first move? what are things to look for that give you the 'lets move to the next step' signs, etc..

Me, I would just be honest. After a cojuple of dates if she is still having fun with me and smiling I may bring up a casual conversations about 'I really like spending time with you. YOu have really made me smile so much the past couple of days...' and then if she concurs, I would be like 'I would very much like to call you more than a friend. What are your thoughts?'.

SOmetimes, though, it is just assumed. it just all depends.

As far as when to ask them out...

I usually ask out girls that I have known for a little bit. If they laugh and smile around me, and are single, then they are fair game! However, some guys will ask out a complete stranger. It all depends on what you feel comfortable with.

ExtensivexLDL said:
Sorry, I've been wanting to respond to this thread for a while, but been having trouble with internet connection

grundel70 said:
This is to piggy back off of my post…

http://www.alonelylife.com/so-guy-have-never-been-on-date-before-t-4854.html

One of the points I was trying to make with the above post is that it is ok if you are ‘older’ and have never been with a girl! I was also trying to use my own example to show that as long as you put a little bit of effort into yourself that it will happen.

However, I also think that some guys simply don’t know how. They have no clue how to ‘get a girl’ or simply talk to one. I am hoping to help a little bit with this post.

Before I start, however, I want to say that I myself am no cassanova. I have failed a lot at this. Despite that, however, I have had my moments.

First of all you all should know that it is not about looks. I will say that again…the dating game is NOT about looks. For every girl out there that wants a perfect body on their man there is a girl that likes skinny men…or fat guys…or bald guys…or African/american guys…or Asians…or Latinos…

Same goes for girls. Most of the guy friends I have are NOT into super models. My best friend is a chubby chaser…he likes fat girls. I mean he LOVES them. He married a girl that was in good shape. I was surprised by this until I saw them this year at Christmas. She had put on a lot of weight...I know he is loving that…

You have to get out into the world. If you sit at home you won’t meet anyone. If you don’t interact with anyone when you are out then you won’t meet anyone. Just get out of the house! Go places. Be a part of the world. Yes, it may be painful to see couples…but you will never become a couple if you don’t at least get out into the world. You can’t win a game you don’t even try to play…

That is just the first step. Once you are out there you will eventually need to interact with someone. In some cases, a outgoing young lady may approach you. Personally this has happened to me only once, it was recently. In 38 years one time…so based on those odds I would not expect it. Maybe you are a good looking guy…that of course will increase the chances of this happening. I personally won’t bet on it though…

If there is a girl you fancy then you will need to talk to her. The best and easiest way to do this is to simply go up and say ‘Hi!’. That is it. If you are afraid of saying anything more then this will help you gain confidence. I promise you nothing bad will happen! The worse case is they will laugh at you and walk away. The best case is they will be talk your ear off cause they think you are cute! If they laugh at you, then that is ok! I will be shocked if this happens, but if it does so be it. Take it like a man and move on. You will NOT be the first guy that got rejected or laughed at by a girl! It is part of the whole ‘game’.

Another thing that works well is complimenting them! A simple ‘Hi! I just wanted to say that I thought you looked really pretty’. That is it. It is not a hard thing to say, and I promise you that they will not be mean back to you. What you will probably get is a ‘thanks’. Now if they seem distant or maybe caught off guard, then that probably means they are not interested…so you just move on. On the other hand you come across one that is like ‘awwww thank you! That is so sweet!’. Then they will talk to you! If you are shy then tell them! Smile and say ‘I ‘m sorry, I am just a little shy is all’. A lot of girls like shy guys!! At least then they will know why you don’t talk much and they may end up talking your ear off! My first wife loved how shy I was.

Maybe talking to them is daunting. Maybe you just can’t work up the nerve. There are other things you can do. Give them a flower. Write a note saying what it is you are having trouble saying outloud. Sometimes that will break the ice.

If you work or go to school with them then maybe hint to someone that knows you both you like them. The word will get around and that may spur them to take action! It may also help you weed them out if they are not interested. I have done this before and I will say this is a more nerve wracking way of doing it. It takes time laying down all f the hints. Then it takes time for the ‘word’ to get to your target you like them. Then you have to wait and see how they react…

The bottom line is that you have to try something. That is all you have to do. Just try. Yes, you will fail. You will be rejected. You will be laughed at. Expect this! When it happens you will find out that it really isn’t that bad. The more you try, the easier it becomes. You will learn what works for you, and what doesn’t. You will learn what you feel comfortable with, and what makes you nervous. And eventually you will gain confidence in yourself! You have to keep trying though. If you fail 10 times, try 10 more. If you fail 100 times, try 100 more. Don’t give up! Don’t say ‘well I talked to a couple girls and they laughed at me…I guess no one wants me…’ All that means is that you ran into 10 mean girls. That probably means the chances are you won’t run into any more for a long time! Either that or your approach is wrong! Try something different! (Hey *****, want to fornicate? May not be the best line…)

Lastly, you will need to also try and fix some things about yourself before you really try and get into a relationship. I am not saying that depressed, lonely, or messed up folks can’t get a date. But what I am saying is that in many cases when you do finally get one it will be especially hard. Try to get your ship on the right track. If you think you are fat then work out. If you think you are ugly then dress nice. If having no money bums you out then get a job! If you are completely depressed, alone, and constantly negative then getting a girl will not solve that problem. Relationships are stressful. You worry a lot about them (if you care that is), they worry about you. You will see them mad. You will see them cry. You will see them at their most unlovable moments. And they will see you too as well. You will see them sick. Angry. Sad. Crazy. Weird. You will be nagged. You may nag them. You will be snapped at, and you may snap back. You will argue. You will not agree with something they say or do. They will have friends or family that will not like you, and you not liking them. You will see that look in their eye and think ‘crap…what did I do?’. You will get that feeling in the pit of your stomach that is indescribable to anyone that just hasn’t felt it yet. The old ‘Crap I am in the dog house’ feeling. Let me tell you, it sucks.’.

Also remember. If this is your first relationship, it will probably not work. I don’t want to discourage you, but that is simply the truth. Like anything it will probably take a couple tries. Learn from it what you can. When it finally is over, you will know what being broken hearted is. You will know pain like no other. Longing. Suffering. You will cry like a baby. Welcome to manhood!

Hope this helps you guys!

Just wanted to say that this is excellent and all, about as good as anything I've ever read, but it ignores two important points. Firstly, there's the implicit assumption that you encounter attractive girls (ones you'd be interested in) on a regular basis. While this certainly depends on where you spend the majority of your time, it also depends on one's personal tastes. I'm personally DEFINATELY not attracted to every other girl I see and so this approach you've outlined, where you try approaching girls 10 times and fail and then try 10 more, (or 100 times and 100 again or w.e.), is gonna take ages for me personally. Also, in regards to where you talk about approaching a girl to talk and getting shut down, I pose this question: "Do you really want to do this if others are around?"
What if you encounter those people again? Do you think they'll be looking up to you ever since and then go, "Wow, you really had the balls to approach that girl back then", when they see you again? Ionno.. seems like they'll probably be poking fun at you and if they do see you again and you find yourself in a situation where you're interacting with those people.

Now I have some questions for you, if you could answer them:

1. Is it right to approach a girl if she's tuned in to her Ipod?On her laptop? Both? Reading a book? Conversing with another girl(s) the whole time?

2. When does a girl you're dating become your girlfriend? If you've been out with her on say 6/7 dates, is it imperative to explicitely ask her to be your girfriend the next time you go out? (assuming you want her to be), or do you just let things develop naturally so that soon there's no clear distinguish between the concept of her only being the girl you're dating and your significant other?

3. Finally, I've always held the concept that whether it's appropriate to ask a girl out depends on how much time you've spent interacting with one another, i.e. there's no point in asking for her number otherwise as she'll probably only think that you're asking her for general purposes and not in order to set a date with her...

---Just meaning that it should come naturally and that's it's better to ask her to hang out sometime (if you could do it at that precise moment) rather than to just for her number.. My opinion anyway, maybe you believe otherwise.

Anyways I know I wrote a lot but let me know what you think in regards to all this if you can.

-Extensive

First of all...

Brian had some pretty **** good answers to your questions extensive!

Second of all...

I am no romeo myself! Lets just say that if the dating game were baseball I would be the back up first basemen...

Don't worry about other people. They are not living your life. I remember I was at this really crowded reseraunt park. A saw this guy walk right up to this chick and make a move. she just rolled her eyes and walked away. I saw the whole thing. I looked at him, smiled and said 'keep it up! you still got plenty of at bats!'. He laughed and walked on.

Yeah, people are going to see you fail. Don't worry about what they say. That is part of confidence. I always laugh at myself first. Then others laugh with you...not at you. Trust me, most people are going to be more incined to give you props for approaching a girl than will give you a hard time for failing. In either case, you can't let that fear interfere with what you want.

As far as where to go...it is like I said. You have to get out into the game. If your current life schedule does not lead you to meet girls, then you may want to change something or add something that will. It may take longer...but the thing is you have to keep trying.

Approach those that you are more comfortable with first. Personally, an I pod or laptop would be off limits to me. If I were listening to music or working on a laptop...i would not want to be bothered. It depends though. Maybe you can ask them directions, or something like that...but that often doesnt really lead anywhere.

Girls with friends? Wow! That would take some cajones! If it were me, I would probably say something about them all...like 'wow...I dont mean to interupt, but I don' think I have seen a more lovely group of ladies..' or something like that. I don't know...that may or may not work. But man, go for it! Let me know how it turns out! Me? I tend to only flirt with woman on their own, standing next to me in line somewhere, etc...

As far as when does dating turn into a relationship? That totally depends on you guys. Some folks think 2 dates and we are a couple. Others think it may be years! I have always said that you 'know' when someone really likes you. If you get a second date, then already there is some interest. If she didn't like you, she would not go out a second time. When you date...well you know, I think that may be a whole new thread! There are just so many variables...who makes the first move? what are things to look for that give you the 'lets move to the next step' signs, etc..

Me, I would just be honest. After a cojuple of dates if she is still having fun with me and smiling I may bring up a casual conversations about 'I really like spending time with you. YOu have really made me smile so much the past couple of days...' and then if she concurs, I would be like 'I would very much like to call you more than a friend. What are your thoughts?'.

SOmetimes, though, it is just assumed. it just all depends.

As far as when to ask them out...

I usually ask out girls that I have known for a little bit. If they laugh and smile around me, and are single, then they are fair game! However, some guys will ask out a complete stranger. It all depends on what you feel comfortable with.

OOOPS I double posted. I apologize :(

Grundel - great post! ((((((((((hug))))))))))

i agree with you!

and i know it might need variations - not everyone is the same and lives and acts the same way - but to some degree - most everyone can use a point or two of what you said.

so - thanks for sharing dear!!!!!

grundel70 said:

I am very much like you here. I have to get to know them a little first. To become comfortable talking to them which tends to take me quite some time. In many cases that means someone I work with or near because that way it starts out as just shop talk and then can evolve a little to more casual conversation. I've never been able to just walk up to a girl and ask her out. I just don't have the guts. LoL

Brian said:
ExtensivexLDL said:
Just wanted to say that this is excellent and all, about as good as anything I've ever read, but it ignores two important points. Firstly, there's the implicit assumption that you encounter attractive girls (ones you'd be interested in) on a regular basis.

Brian said:
What about just approaching ones that look friendly to get used to talking to them? You don't necessarily have to be looking for a date. Personally I've decided to start trying to just strike up conversations for the heck of it, with no expectations. I think it'll be beneficial.

How do girls "look friendly"? The only way you can tell (besides already having interacted with them) is from watching them interact with others. There's no problem in starting a conversation with a girl(s) (who you're not specifically interested in) if you're in a group setting at work for instance or sitting beside one in class, but in my opinion, APPROACHING a girl, (who you're not specifically interested in), just to 'get used to talking with girls' connotes the risk of her interpreting such an advance in a fashion contrary to your original intention. If you just have a question to ask then it's a different story..

Grundel70 said:

That's the thing, I'm worried about timing. Ask out too early and they'll probably look at you and say "Um.. I don't really know you that well.." .. or something like that. Ask out too late (by the time you're in the friendzone) and yeah.. it'll be really awkward. Sometimes it's also hard to tell whether a girl is single or not, even if you've known her for some time. Some just don't like to lead others on and it's usually inappropriate to directly ask someone if their single. There are ways around it but those are tricky..

I guess I have two last questions to ask if you don't mind answering

1. Concerning the notion of the "friendzone", how long, from your experience at least, does it take for a guy to wind in a woman's friendzone? Does happen immediately sometimes i.e. Could she just size him up the first time she sees him and place him mentally in that category from the start? How can you tell if you've been acquinted with a girl too long to suddenly ask her out?

2. Is it important and how so is it to mix things up for each consecutive date you go on with a girl (in terms of where you go and what you do I mean) ? Also what if you aren't aware of a lot things you could do off the top of your head and you want to ask someone out right at that exact moment? i.e you don't know many places, or cheap ones, etc.

thanks,

Extensive

LonelyDragon said:
I've never been able to just walk up to a girl and ask her out.

In my understanding, you don't just do such a thing unless you've already been acquainted with the girl. With a complete stranger it takes more time and effort i.e. getting to know them first, seeing how the conversation is flowing, etc.

Alright my man. lets see if this helps you out!

"How do girls "look friendly"? The only way you can tell (besides already having interacted with them) is from watching them interact with others. There's no problem in starting a conversation with a girl(s) (who you're not specifically interested in) if you're in a group setting at work for instance or sitting beside one in class, but in my opinion, APPROACHING a girl, (who you're not specifically interested in), just to 'get used to talking with girls' connotes the risk of her interpreting such an advance in a fashion contrary to your original intention. If you just have a question to ask then it's a different story.. "

Are they smiling? Laughing? or are they Scowling? Do they seemed pissed? If you are at a party, for example (I am not really a party kind of guy and I think alot of folks here aren't as well, but lets just use this as an example) and you see a cute girl...she is smiling and laughs as she talks to folks. Then to me that is someone that 'looks' friendly. I would wait til she is alone (like going to get a drink/food) and then would kinda do the same and maybe say 'Hi! You know, I just wanted to see that you have a lovely smile.'. Now, this is not the way I usually approach someone...but i have freinds that do this and it works fine for them...some are good looking, others are not.

as far the other things you said...if they talk to you then its a win anyway! Just get used to talking to people! If you talk to someone it does not mean you have to date them! However, if you do talk to someone you don't want to date, and then they seem interested in you...then all that does is build up your own confidence!

"That's the thing, I'm worried about timing. Ask out too early and they'll probably look at you and say "Um.. I don't really know you that well.." .. or something like that. Ask out too late (by the time you're in the friendzone) and yeah.. it'll be really awkward. Sometimes it's also hard to tell whether a girl is single or not, even if you've known her for some time. Some just don't like to lead others on and it's usually inappropriate to directly ask someone if their single. There are ways around it but those are tricky.."

You know, you will always run the risk of this. Timing is a variable in your success. And honestly, many times it is a variable that is unknown to you. You have no idea if it is the right time sometimes. You just have to do it. If the timing is wrong, then bam. You get one of those answers. This is something that you just have to learn as you do it. It all depends on the girl and you.

To me, the key is not what the answer is, but how YOU react to it. For example, if you ask a girl out too soon and you get the first answer...then just be cool about it! If you, for example, get mopey and hold your head down...then it will probably be awkward for both of youguys. However, you are like 'Doh! shot down a gain...but at least I was shot down by a very pretty girl' to her and then just walk on...you will be fine :) Or maybe a 'oh...im' sorry. I hope I didn't make you feel awkward?' if it is someone you see alot, then just be friendly with them. Be nice to them. They may come around, they may not...but at least you won't have that awkwardness.

As far as the whole friendzone thing...I can write a whole post about that! All i will say is that most of the woman I have dated I was in their 'friendzone' first. Being in the friendzone is a good thing. It does not mean you are out of play.

I have asked a gril out that I was in their friendzone...and it actually turned out pretty bad. But that is something that I had to live and learn through. It stung, but I got through it and am a better man because of it.

"1. Concerning the notion of the "friendzone", how long, from your experience at least, does it take for a guy to wind in a woman's friendzone? Does happen immediately sometimes i.e. Could she just size him up the first time she sees him and place him mentally in that category from the start? How can you tell if you've been acquinted with a girl too long to suddenly ask her out?"

lots of reasons you end up here. It could be she likes you, but is not attracted to you. Could be that she is seeing someone but would not mind seeing you if they broke up, could be that she just wants to be your friend, etc...

Friendzone is not a 'no date' zone. It does not mean you will never be able to get with that girl. In my opinion it is a great way to really learn things about her. I have had 'friends' that I 'practice dated' with. And then bam...we dated for real cause it was so much fun!

When you are in the friendzone and want to date her, my best advice is to take this time to better yourself. Gain confidence in yourself. Treat her with respect and kindness, and then be honest! Tell her how you feel. It is ok if she tells you no...you will still be friends. Sometimes,though, as you better yourself you may suddenly find that it is her that may be like 'hey, you want to catch a movie tonight?'

"2. Is it important and how so is it to mix things up for each consecutive date you go on with a girl (in terms of where you go and what you do I mean) ? Also what if you aren't aware of a lot things you could do off the top of your head and you want to ask someone out right at that exact moment? i.e you don't know many places, or cheap ones, etc."

Dating is a whole new game! I may have to post on that...but honestly I am not always the best date! I have lots of first dates, but not that many seconds! Yeah, to me it is important to mix it up...just don't put any pressure on yourself. Do things that you know she likes to do. A good date is a movie and dinner...not a dinner and a movie. Go watch the movie first, then at dinner you can talk about it! you don't really have to try and impress her with your dates...what you are really trying to accomplish here is having fun on them. If you do, then she will associate having fun with you...and that is a good thing!

Hope this helps!

grundel70 said:
Alright my man. lets see if this helps you out!

"How do girls "look friendly"? The only way you can tell (besides already having interacted with them) is from watching them interact with others. There's no problem in starting a conversation with a girl(s) (who you're not specifically interested in) if you're in a group setting at work for instance or sitting beside one in class, but in my opinion, APPROACHING a girl, (who you're not specifically interested in), just to 'get used to talking with girls' connotes the risk of her interpreting such an advance in a fashion contrary to your original intention. If you just have a question to ask then it's a different story.. "

Are they smiling? Laughing? or are they Scowling? Do they seemed pissed? If you are at a party, for example (I am not really a party kind of guy and I think alot of folks here aren't as well, but lets just use this as an example) and you see a cute girl...she is smiling and laughs as she talks to folks. Then to me that is someone that 'looks' friendly. I would wait til she is alone (like going to get a drink/food) and then would kinda do the same and maybe say 'Hi! You know, I just wanted to see that you have a lovely smile.'. Now, this is not the way I usually approach someone...but i have freinds that do this and it works fine for them...some are good looking, others are not.

as far the other things you said...if they talk to you then its a win anyway! Just get used to talking to people! If you talk to someone it does not mean you have to date them! However, if you do talk to someone you don't want to date, and then they seem interested in you...then all that does is build up your own confidence!

i couldn't agree more...!
and well - you might get a good friend for your efforts :)

"That's the thing, I'm worried about timing. Ask out too early and they'll probably look at you and say "Um.. I don't really know you that well.." .. or something like that. Ask out too late (by the time you're in the friendzone) and yeah.. it'll be really awkward. Sometimes it's also hard to tell whether a girl is single or not, even if you've known her for some time. Some just don't like to lead others on and it's usually inappropriate to directly ask someone if their single. There are ways around it but those are tricky.."

You know, you will always run the risk of this. Timing is a variable in your success. And honestly, many times it is a variable that is unknown to you. You have no idea if it is the right time sometimes. You just have to do it. If the timing is wrong, then bam. You get one of those answers. This is something that you just have to learn as you do it. It all depends on the girl and you.

To me, the key is not what the answer is, but how YOU react to it. For example, if you ask a girl out too soon and you get the first answer...then just be cool about it! If you, for example, get mopey and hold your head down...then it will probably be awkward for both of youguys. However, you are like 'Doh! shot down a gain...but at least I was shot down by a very pretty girl' to her and then just walk on...you will be fine :) Or maybe a 'oh...im' sorry. I hope I didn't make you feel awkward?' if it is someone you see alot, then just be friendly with them. Be nice to them. They may come around, they may not...but at least you won't have that awkwardness.

again - spot on, imho.
i think that your attitude when things DON'T go the way you wanted show more about you than the things you do when all is well.
if you keep a cool and friendly attitude when you have asked in a wrong time will only show her you are confident in yourself, and that she can trust you.

this way - if you ask too early - you'll be able to get her to know you better, and if you ask too late - you'll get her to maybe think it over, and well - you will at least keep her as a friend.

As far as the whole friendzone thing...I can write a whole post about that! All i will say is that most of the woman I have dated I was in their 'friendzone' first. Being in the friendzone is a good thing. It does not mean you are out of play.

I have asked a gril out that I was in their friendzone...and it actually turned out pretty bad. But that is something that I had to live and learn through. It stung, but I got through it and am a better man because of it.

"1. Concerning the notion of the "friendzone", how long, from your experience at least, does it take for a guy to wind in a woman's friendzone? Does happen immediately sometimes i.e. Could she just size him up the first time she sees him and place him mentally in that category from the start? How can you tell if you've been acquinted with a girl too long to suddenly ask her out?"

lots of reasons you end up here. It could be she likes you, but is not attracted to you. Could be that she is seeing someone but would not mind seeing you if they broke up, could be that she just wants to be your friend, etc...

Friendzone is not a 'no date' zone. It does not mean you will never be able to get with that girl. In my opinion it is a great way to really learn things about her. I have had 'friends' that I 'practice dated' with. And then bam...we dated for real cause it was so much fun!

When you are in the friendzone and want to date her, my best advice is to take this time to better yourself. Gain confidence in yourself. Treat her with respect and kindness, and then be honest! Tell her how you feel. It is ok if she tells you no...you will still be friends. Sometimes,though, as you better yourself you may suddenly find that it is her that may be like 'hey, you want to catch a movie tonight?'

"2. Is it important and how so is it to mix things up for each consecutive date you go on with a girl (in terms of where you go and what you do I mean) ? Also what if you aren't aware of a lot things you could do off the top of your head and you want to ask someone out right at that exact moment? i.e you don't know many places, or cheap ones, etc."

Dating is a whole new game! I may have to post on that...but honestly I am not always the best date! I have lots of first dates, but not that many seconds! Yeah, to me it is important to mix it up...just don't put any pressure on yourself. Do things that you know she likes to do. A good date is a movie and dinner...not a dinner and a movie. Go watch the movie first, then at dinner you can talk about it! you don't really have to try and impress her with your dates...what you are really trying to accomplish here is having fun on them. If you do, then she will associate having fun with you...and that is a good thing!

Hope this helps!

i totally agree.
i think that having fun is the most important thing by far.

thanks for the great post Grundel dear!!!

(((((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))))))[/color]

grundel70 said:

Firstly, just wanted to say that this is really helping out a lot- thanks for the help :)

Yeah, I know what you mean. I just discounted that "being at a party" factor when I was making my point. As I understand it, a party is a much less formal circumstance- people approach others to talk all over the place in such a case, regardless whether it's a guy approaching a girl, a girl approaching a guy, a guy approaching a guy, girl approaching a girl, (most importantly) regardless of whether one is romantically interested in another, etc.

I was just sort of relating my prior points to the circumstance and environment I typically spend the most time in, that being a residence lounge place on my university campus. People go there to socialize, do work, read, listen to music, laptop, etc. In such an environment, unless you're already with someone, it's pretty rare, I'm certain, to see a guy, for instance, approach a girl he isn't actually interested in for any other purpose than maybe to ask a question.

grundel70 said:
Being in the friendzone is a good thing. It does not mean you are out of play.

Yeah, but as I understand it, once you're put in there, it becomes exceptionally hard to undue that categorization. I've read several wikihow and other related articles in regards to this and tried to remember the tips they give for escaping it (probably wasn't worth my time lol). It's really not easy. As I see it, if you're put into the friendzone and wish to escape it, it's easier to just go the opposite route= trying to become as a close a friend as you can with the girl. Then you'd probably have an easier shot at making that leap from good friend to dating partner.

More importantly, however, I wanted to highlight the issue that sometimes it's QUITE DIFFICULT to see whether you're in a girl's friendzone or not. Even, for example, if you've been friends with a girl for a long time, it could be the case that she has never stopped seeing you as a potential partner, and is just waiting for you to make that move- I realize that this is probably rare though. Also, some girls are pretty hard to read. At times it seems like they're flirting with you and may be interested in you and at other times they're clearly treating you as just a friend.

I for one, had the unfortunate experience of interpreting a girl's friendliness as flirting and as a sign of interest. Basically we've been friends since high school and then we both applied and got accepted into the same universty (we're still attending the same place to this day). Basically, one day, by browsing her profile on facebook, I realized that our break times coincide so I invited her to hang out and she obliged (I was aware that she was seeing someone else at the time). So the day came and me and a male mutual friend of ours all hung out. The next week we hung out again without the friend (due to circumstance) and same thing afterwards. On one of these occasions I clearly got the sense that she was into me (she was smiling a lot and even seemed to be flirting at times). So that was that.. until.. one day, I decided to call her up and maybe invite her for coffee. (i was pretty lonely back then and I had her number from all those times).
I was as CERTAIN as certain could that she wouldn't mind meeting with me again sometime. So I finally got the courage and called her and.. no answer. It was a bit of a relief actually not to have had to go through it on that day.. So I decided to call her next day.. Next day.. same thing. And the day after that, but on the third call I left her a voicemail.. Annd.. she never called me back..
I would see her again almost a month later at one of my friend's literary workshops downtown. I came at the last minute and when we saw each other she seemed really shocked to see me and got that apprehensive look on her on face which I will never forget..

Anyway, I just decided to share this story as a means of support for my last point where I said that some girls can be quite hard to read.. mostly the really naturally friendly ones.

grundel70 said:

What exactly is "practice dated"? As in you dated but not really? Or you just saw how it would be for real between you two without all the formalities?

grundel70 said:

Those are good points. I'm just sick of the friendzone lol :p. I mean I actually had lots of girls interested in me in high school but I was too much of an inept, unsocial loser to do anything about it. I've had crushes on two of the three girls that I'm decent friends with now, one being the girl I just told you about.
Sometimes I get the feeling that all the girls that see me, instinctually and automatically place me in the friend zone from the start, regardless of how long they've interacted with me (if at all) at times. I'm not really sure how to explain this but it's probably rooted in the self-awareness that I still have yet to have any dating experience.

grundel70 said:
Hope this helps!

Thanks, this really helped indeed. Now I just have one last question (if you don't mind lol :p) and it looks like this:

real life vs. online dating

What could be the resons to turn to online dating? Is it sometimes the possibility that a person reaches that stage in his life when realizes that he, in all likelihood, has a very small chance of meeting someone in real life (since he hasn't for instance) and so he turns to online dating as the exclusive medium for trying to meet someone? Is it good idea maybeto coincide real life with online dating (or mobile dating if you've heard of that) ?

Grundel, thanks for this thread!

That's a lot of really insightful help!

One things guys should remember is the most (though definitely not all) girls consider someone being interested in them as a compliment. As long as you're cool about it - as in, there is no (or at least you hide well) desperation, then it should be a good thing.

I wish I could make sense!

Hugs, everyone!

"Same goes for girls. Most of the guy friends I have are NOT into super models. My best friend is a chubby chaser…he likes fat girls. I mean he LOVES them. "

i agree :D

Latest posts

Back