Grundel's guide to meeting a girl!

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grundel70

Reaction score
This is to piggy back off of my post…

http://www.alonelylife.com/so-guy-have-never-been-on-date-before-t-4854.html

One of the points I was trying to make with the above post is that it is ok if you are ‘older’ and have never been with a girl! I was also trying to use my own example to show that as long as you put a little bit of effort into yourself that it will happen.

However, I also think that some guys simply don’t know how. They have no clue how to ‘get a girl’ or simply talk to one. I am hoping to help a little bit with this post.

Before I start, however, I want to say that I myself am no cassanova. I have failed a lot at this. Despite that, however, I have had my moments.

First of all you all should know that it is not about looks. I will say that again…the dating game is NOT about looks. For every girl out there that wants a perfect body on their man there is a girl that likes skinny men…or fat guys…or bald guys…or African/american guys…or Asians…or Latinos…

Same goes for girls. Most of the guy friends I have are NOT into super models. My best friend is a chubby chaser…he likes fat girls. I mean he LOVES them. He married a girl that was in good shape. I was surprised by this until I saw them this year at Christmas. She had put on a lot of weight...I know he is loving that…

You have to get out into the world. If you sit at home you won’t meet anyone. If you don’t interact with anyone when you are out then you won’t meet anyone. Just get out of the house! Go places. Be a part of the world. Yes, it may be painful to see couples…but you will never become a couple if you don’t at least get out into the world. You can’t win a game you don’t even try to play…

That is just the first step. Once you are out there you will eventually need to interact with someone. In some cases, a outgoing young lady may approach you. Personally this has happened to me only once, it was recently. In 38 years one time…so based on those odds I would not expect it. Maybe you are a good looking guy…that of course will increase the chances of this happening. I personally won’t bet on it though…

If there is a girl you fancy then you will need to talk to her. The best and easiest way to do this is to simply go up and say ‘Hi!’. That is it. If you are afraid of saying anything more then this will help you gain confidence. I promise you nothing bad will happen! The worse case is they will laugh at you and walk away. The best case is they will be talk your ear off cause they think you are cute! If they laugh at you, then that is ok! I will be shocked if this happens, but if it does so be it. Take it like a man and move on. You will NOT be the first guy that got rejected or laughed at by a girl! It is part of the whole ‘game’.

Another thing that works well is complimenting them! A simple ‘Hi! I just wanted to say that I thought you looked really pretty’. That is it. It is not a hard thing to say, and I promise you that they will not be mean back to you. What you will probably get is a ‘thanks’. Now if they seem distant or maybe caught off guard, then that probably means they are not interested…so you just move on. On the other hand you come across one that is like ‘awwww thank you! That is so sweet!’. Then they will talk to you! If you are shy then tell them! Smile and say ‘I ‘m sorry, I am just a little shy is all’. A lot of girls like shy guys!! At least then they will know why you don’t talk much and they may end up talking your ear off! My first wife loved how shy I was.

Maybe talking to them is daunting. Maybe you just can’t work up the nerve. There are other things you can do. Give them a flower. Write a note saying what it is you are having trouble saying outloud. Sometimes that will break the ice.

If you work or go to school with them then maybe hint to someone that knows you both you like them. The word will get around and that may spur them to take action! It may also help you weed them out if they are not interested. I have done this before and I will say this is a more nerve wracking way of doing it. It takes time laying down all f the hints. Then it takes time for the ‘word’ to get to your target you like them. Then you have to wait and see how they react…

The bottom line is that you have to try something. That is all you have to do. Just try. Yes, you will fail. You will be rejected. You will be laughed at. Expect this! When it happens you will find out that it really isn’t that bad. The more you try, the easier it becomes. You will learn what works for you, and what doesn’t. You will learn what you feel comfortable with, and what makes you nervous. And eventually you will gain confidence in yourself! You have to keep trying though. If you fail 10 times, try 10 more. If you fail 100 times, try 100 more. Don’t give up! Don’t say ‘well I talked to a couple girls and they laughed at me…I guess no one wants me…’ All that means is that you ran into 10 mean girls. That probably means the chances are you won’t run into any more for a long time! Either that or your approach is wrong! Try something different! (Hey *****, want to fornicate? May not be the best line…)

Lastly, you will need to also try and fix some things about yourself before you really try and get into a relationship. I am not saying that depressed, lonely, or messed up folks can’t get a date. But what I am saying is that in many cases when you do finally get one it will be especially hard. Try to get your ship on the right track. If you think you are fat then work out. If you think you are ugly then dress nice. If having no money bums you out then get a job! If you are completely depressed, alone, and constantly negative then getting a girl will not solve that problem. Relationships are stressful. You worry a lot about them (if you care that is), they worry about you. You will see them mad. You will see them cry. You will see them at their most unlovable moments. And they will see you too as well. You will see them sick. Angry. Sad. Crazy. Weird. You will be nagged. You may nag them. You will be snapped at, and you may snap back. You will argue. You will not agree with something they say or do. They will have friends or family that will not like you, and you not liking them. You will see that look in their eye and think ‘crap…what did I do?’. You will get that feeling in the pit of your stomach that is indescribable to anyone that just hasn’t felt it yet. The old ‘Crap I am in the dog house’ feeling. Let me tell you, it sucks.’.

Also remember. If this is your first relationship, it will probably not work. I don’t want to discourage you, but that is simply the truth. Like anything it will probably take a couple tries. Learn from it what you can. When it finally is over, you will know what being broken hearted is. You will know pain like no other. Longing. Suffering. You will cry like a baby. Welcome to manhood!

Hope this helps you guys!

yeah, dude... Those tips were fantastic. Honestly, i think our forum has got lots to thank you for, for sharing all this valuable experience and advice. I will try some of them soon.

Wow. The title made me interested and the thread made me less interested than before, lol.

For You other guys reading this guide; finding love is worth going through anything.

Amazing guide Grundel! Thank you for contributing so much to this forum.
I hope all the guys here read this :)

And actually, all females too! There's good stuff in here that's good for women to know as well.

I've been throwing myself in the line of fire here lately.
it's all been a learning or growing experince...either way.
I've been working on myself alot.
Being positive. loving myself, taking care of myself,
facing my fears, letting go....etc

I've had lunch, dinners with different women within the last month.
The one I went to dinner with asked me to have dinner with her.

I inneract with women all day..especailly now.
I flirt with them all day long.
I now work at a facility full of women..hundreds of them.
There a lack of communications...I don't speak the same lanuage
as they do :(....More growth required on my part...If i'm too
expand my options. Dain...there's beautiful single women everywhere.
A beautiful stranger woman tap me on my shoulder the other day.
She asked me all kinds of stuff...I dunno
I don't speak any spanish...dain it
But i do this...I'm approchable today.

As each day gose by...I'm getting more comfortable with myself
or the situation. Trying to go with the flow at the moment.
it's still a leaning experince and I'm not as afriad anymore or
I'm not in pain anymore...that helps.

"I've been throwing myself in the line of fire here lately.
"

B-I-N-G-O

that is it right there. I love the 'throwing myself int he line of fire' line. Absolutely true.

Let me guess bud...you got turned down a bit haven't ya? You seem to be a better looking guy than me so maybe not as much as me...but I bet you have been rejected a few times, eh?

Did that stop you?

grundel70 said:
"I've been throwing myself in the line of fire here lately.
"

B-I-N-G-O

that is it right there. I love the 'throwing myself int he line of fire' line. Absolutely true.

Let me guess bud...you got turned down a bit haven't ya? You seem to be a better looking guy than me so maybe not as much as me...but I bet you have been rejected a few times, eh?

Did that stop you?

I'm no James Bones or Brad Pitt...that's for sure.lol

Recently not really...yes and no.
I keep getting rejected by my ex-gf within the past month.
I wanted to clear up the air between us and clean up my side
of the street..
Anyway,..it's sort of the same feelings or maybe even the samethings
sometimes of why certain women arn't interested in me..
she has her own issues she has to deal with.
It actaully rips my heart out...but I'm more well today to be able
to face alot of it...fear and rejections all roll into one.
I still take it as a growning process for me...
I'm able to talk to her without wanting to stab her eyes out today :p

So in a way..if you do ask other women out...maybe they have thier
own issues going on...so when I do get rejected...I know it's not
really me sometimes.

Yes...I've been rejected, stood up in the past numerous times.
Then again...I've also dated 5-6 women at the same time.
I was dating or trying to find that special someone.

All of the women I've gotten into a relationship, asked me out...
Never the less...I was putting myself out there in order for the babes to aske me out.

In a lot of ways, this time i want to make that change.
Get involve with someone I asked out.
personal growth on my part or something has to change.

grundel70 said:

And if that doesn't work, remember that many important figures throughout history have been pissed off bachelors with little to no understanding of women.

This is a pretty good thread. Getting out there and being a part of it is going to be the only way you are going to get dates. I'm sure a lot of people here haven't read my thread but in the last month or so i've been going all out and talking to women and what not.... it's really paid off for me.

I'm taking out a girl tomorrow who is one of the most beautiful women I've ever met. We met a while back at a party but I couldn't convince myself to talk to her. Well finally I worked up the courage when I saw her again recently and voila... i got a date.

Just keep trying guys... really. Getting shot down is the only way to get over the fear. Even pretty boy's will admit that they get shot down more than they get a yes. It's just a number game and when you are playing 0 you'll never get anything but that back.

You are awesome, Grundel. :) And it's so kind of you to take your time to try and help others.

grundel70 said:
First of all you all should know that it is not about looks. I will say that again…the dating game is NOT about looks. For every girl out there that wants a perfect body on their man there is a girl that likes skinny men…or fat guys…or bald guys…or African/american guys…or Asians…or Latinos…

Once again great post. I'm sure this will help encourage some of those who need just that.

I do have to say though that I disagree to a degree on this point. I'm not saying you're wrong in all cases, but I do find it hard to believe that looks have nothing to do with it. There has to be a physical attraction or many people won't bother to get to know what you're like beyond that. That is one of my problems. Not many women are attracted to overweight middle aged men missing half their front teeth.

And I do realize that you mentioned changing things about yourself. So before anyone tells me to exercise and to take better care of my teeth I've tried. The missing teeth were due to an accident while working on an engine (a tool broke). I have falsies, but they make me sound like I have a mouthful of honeysuckle when I talk and are impossible to eat with. And while I used to exercise regularly, years of damage to my knees and other joints causes me pain and stiffness.

Satyr said:
And if that doesn't work, remember that many important figures throughout history have been pissed off bachelors with little to no understanding of women.

For example, many well known serial killers.

LonelyDragon said:
Satyr said:
Satyr said:

I'm getting too old to become one of those. :rolleyes:

Hey!! Larry, you're NEVER too old to start a second career! Why you just have to.....
Oh wait a minute. Serial killer you say? Nevermind.

rofl :p I was j/k

LonelyDragon said:
Satyr said:

I'm getting too old to become one of those. :rolleyes:

Ed Gein was over 50 when he was arrested for the murder of a hardware store owner.

See? You're never too old to have a vision and a goal...be it writing a book, starting a new career or decapitating strangers.

LonelyDragon said:
grundel70 said:

Once again great post. I'm sure this will help encourage some of those who need just that.

I do have to say though that I disagree to a degree on this point. I'm not saying you're wrong in all cases, but I do find it hard to believe that looks have nothing to do with it. There has to be a physical attraction or many people won't bother to get to know what you're like beyond that. That is one of my problems. Not many women are attracted to overweight middle aged men missing half their front teeth.

And I do realize that you mentioned changing things about yourself. So before anyone tells me to exercise and to take better care of my teeth I've tried. The missing teeth were due to an accident while working on an engine (a tool broke). I have falsies, but they make me sound like I have a mouthful of honeysuckle when I talk and are impossible to eat with. And while I used to exercise regularly, years of damage to my knees and other joints causes me pain and stiffness.

Looks matter to some, and then they don't matter at all to others.

There are many ugly guys out there that are in relationships that are not rock stars or filthy rich!

What I am trying to say is this whole game, the whole 'dating' scene is not about looks. Just look at how many 'ugly' guys are married out there!

It is harder though in my opinion. Lonesome crow is always talking about wanting a super model! But that is him. Like I said, my best friend will not even look at a girl under 200 lbs. Another friend of mine LOVES skinny guys. I have another friend who only likes bald guys.

But it is not impossible. The whole bar...face to face...scene may be tough for us ugly guys, but what you do is then work on your strengths! get them to know you first...like online dating services wher eyou chat with them for a while before you meet. Write them a poem, give them a flower, etc...

However you will be surprised how much a little bit of confidence and a nice shirt and pants combo will beat out what we perceive as ugliness.

Sorry, I've been wanting to respond to this thread for a while, but been having trouble with internet connection

grundel70 said:
This is to piggy back off of my post…

http://www.alonelylife.com/so-guy-have-never-been-on-date-before-t-4854.html

One of the points I was trying to make with the above post is that it is ok if you are ‘older’ and have never been with a girl! I was also trying to use my own example to show that as long as you put a little bit of effort into yourself that it will happen.

However, I also think that some guys simply don’t know how. They have no clue how to ‘get a girl’ or simply talk to one. I am hoping to help a little bit with this post.

Before I start, however, I want to say that I myself am no cassanova. I have failed a lot at this. Despite that, however, I have had my moments.

Same goes for girls. Most of the guy friends I have are NOT into super models. My best friend is a chubby chaser…he likes fat girls. I mean he LOVES them. He married a girl that was in good shape. I was surprised by this until I saw them this year at Christmas. She had put on a lot of weight...I know he is loving that…

You have to get out into the world. If you sit at home you won’t meet anyone. If you don’t interact with anyone when you are out then you won’t meet anyone. Just get out of the house! Go places. Be a part of the world. Yes, it may be painful to see couples…but you will never become a couple if you don’t at least get out into the world. You can’t win a game you don’t even try to play…

That is just the first step. Once you are out there you will eventually need to interact with someone. In some cases, a outgoing young lady may approach you. Personally this has happened to me only once, it was recently. In 38 years one time…so based on those odds I would not expect it. Maybe you are a good looking guy…that of course will increase the chances of this happening. I personally won’t bet on it though…

If there is a girl you fancy then you will need to talk to her. The best and easiest way to do this is to simply go up and say ‘Hi!’. That is it. If you are afraid of saying anything more then this will help you gain confidence. I promise you nothing bad will happen! The worse case is they will laugh at you and walk away. The best case is they will be talk your ear off cause they think you are cute! If they laugh at you, then that is ok! I will be shocked if this happens, but if it does so be it. Take it like a man and move on. You will NOT be the first guy that got rejected or laughed at by a girl! It is part of the whole ‘game’.

Another thing that works well is complimenting them! A simple ‘Hi! I just wanted to say that I thought you looked really pretty’. That is it. It is not a hard thing to say, and I promise you that they will not be mean back to you. What you will probably get is a ‘thanks’. Now if they seem distant or maybe caught off guard, then that probably means they are not interested…so you just move on. On the other hand you come across one that is like ‘awwww thank you! That is so sweet!’. Then they will talk to you! If you are shy then tell them! Smile and say ‘I ‘m sorry, I am just a little shy is all’. A lot of girls like shy guys!! At least then they will know why you don’t talk much and they may end up talking your ear off! My first wife loved how shy I was.

Maybe talking to them is daunting. Maybe you just can’t work up the nerve. There are other things you can do. Give them a flower. Write a note saying what it is you are having trouble saying outloud. Sometimes that will break the ice.

If you work or go to school with them then maybe hint to someone that knows you both you like them. The word will get around and that may spur them to take action! It may also help you weed them out if they are not interested. I have done this before and I will say this is a more nerve wracking way of doing it. It takes time laying down all f the hints. Then it takes time for the ‘word’ to get to your target you like them. Then you have to wait and see how they react…

The bottom line is that you have to try something. That is all you have to do. Just try. Yes, you will fail. You will be rejected. You will be laughed at. Expect this! When it happens you will find out that it really isn’t that bad. The more you try, the easier it becomes. You will learn what works for you, and what doesn’t. You will learn what you feel comfortable with, and what makes you nervous. And eventually you will gain confidence in yourself! You have to keep trying though. If you fail 10 times, try 10 more. If you fail 100 times, try 100 more. Don’t give up! Don’t say ‘well I talked to a couple girls and they laughed at me…I guess no one wants me…’ All that means is that you ran into 10 mean girls. That probably means the chances are you won’t run into any more for a long time! Either that or your approach is wrong! Try something different! (Hey *****, want to fornicate? May not be the best line…)

Lastly, you will need to also try and fix some things about yourself before you really try and get into a relationship. I am not saying that depressed, lonely, or messed up folks can’t get a date. But what I am saying is that in many cases when you do finally get one it will be especially hard. Try to get your ship on the right track. If you think you are fat then work out. If you think you are ugly then dress nice. If having no money bums you out then get a job! If you are completely depressed, alone, and constantly negative then getting a girl will not solve that problem. Relationships are stressful. You worry a lot about them (if you care that is), they worry about you. You will see them mad. You will see them cry. You will see them at their most unlovable moments. And they will see you too as well. You will see them sick. Angry. Sad. Crazy. Weird. You will be nagged. You may nag them. You will be snapped at, and you may snap back. You will argue. You will not agree with something they say or do. They will have friends or family that will not like you, and you not liking them. You will see that look in their eye and think ‘crap…what did I do?’. You will get that feeling in the pit of your stomach that is indescribable to anyone that just hasn’t felt it yet. The old ‘Crap I am in the dog house’ feeling. Let me tell you, it sucks.’.

Also remember. If this is your first relationship, it will probably not work. I don’t want to discourage you, but that is simply the truth. Like anything it will probably take a couple tries. Learn from it what you can. When it finally is over, you will know what being broken hearted is. You will know pain like no other. Longing. Suffering. You will cry like a baby. Welcome to manhood!

Just wanted to say that this is excellent and all, about as good as anything I've ever read, but it ignores two important points. Firstly, there's the implicit assumption that you encounter attractive girls (ones you'd be interested in) on a regular basis. While this certainly depends on where you spend the majority of your time, it also depends on one's personal tastes. I'm personally DEFINATELY not attracted to every other girl I see and so this approach you've outlined, where you try approaching girls 10 times and fail and then try 10 more, (or 100 times and 100 again or w.e.), is gonna take ages for me personally. Also, in regards to where you talk about approaching a girl to talk and getting shut down, I pose this question: "Do you really want to do this if others are around?"
What if you encounter those people again? Do you think they'll be looking up to you ever since and then go, "Wow, you really had the balls to approach that girl back then", when they see you again? Ionno.. seems like they'll probably be poking fun at you and if they do see you again and you find yourself in a situation where you're interacting with those people.

Now I have some questions for you, if you could answer them:

1. Is it right to approach a girl if she's tuned in to her Ipod?On her laptop? Both? Reading a book? Conversing with another girl(s) the whole time?

2. When does a girl you're dating become your girlfriend? If you've been out with her on say 6/7 dates, is it imperative to explicitely ask her to be your girfriend the next time you go out? (assuming you want her to be), or do you just let things develop naturally so that soon there's no clear distinguish between the concept of her only being the girl you're dating and your significant other?

3. Finally, I've always held the concept that whether it's appropriate to ask a girl out depends on how much time you've spent interacting with one another, i.e. there's no point in asking for her number otherwise as she'll probably only think that you're asking her for general purposes and not in order to set a date with her...

---Just meaning that it should come naturally and that's it's better to ask her to hang out sometime (if you could do it at that precise moment) rather than to just for her number.. My opinion anyway, maybe you believe otherwise.

Anyways I know I wrote a lot but let me know what you think in regards to all this if you can.

-Extensive

ExtensivexLDL said:
Just wanted to say that this is excellent and all, about as good as anything I've ever read, but it ignores two important points. Firstly, there's the implicit assumption that you encounter attractive girls (ones you'd be interested in) on a regular basis.

What about just approaching ones that look friendly to get used to talking to them? You don't necessarily have to be looking for a date. Personally I've decided to start trying to just strike up conversations for the heck of it, with no expectations. I think it'll be beneficial.

Also, in regards to where you talk about approaching a girl to talk and getting shut down, I pose this question: "Do you really want to do this if others are around?"
What if you encounter those people again? Do you think they'll be looking up to you ever since and then go, "Wow, you really had the balls to approach that girl back then", when they see you again?

I work with some pretty macho guys. Some real egos, trust me. I've approached girls before in front of them, once with success and once not. And they definitely acknowledge my cajones simply for making the attempt. Do I get ribbed at for my methods and such? Well, yes. But part of being confident is just laughing it off. Hell, play in to the joke and show 'em you're fine with it. Poking fun at each other is actually a big part of male socialization I've found. It's not generally meant to be offensive; it's just to kid around.

And if someone genuinely does try to come down on you for a failure, challenge them to do the same thing.

Now I have some questions for you, if you could answer them:

1. Is it right to approach a girl if she's tuned in to her Ipod?On her laptop? Both? Reading a book? Conversing with another girl(s) the whole time?

Not sure if you only want Grundel's answers or not, but I had some input :p I personally wouldn't approach a girl with her iPod on, or if she's with her friends. A book I see as an opportunity for conversation; ask her if it's good, etc. A laptop? Maybe, maybe not.

2. When does a girl you're dating become your girlfriend? If you've been out with her on say 6/7 dates, is it imperative to explicitely ask her to be your girfriend the next time you go out? (assuming you want her to be), or do you just let things develop naturally so that soon there's no clear distinguish between the concept of her only being the girl you're dating and your significant other?

Gods, I've wondered that myself. Is there a point where you bring up the 'boyfriend/girlfriend' status and make it official or is it just assumed?

3. Finally, I've always held the concept that whether it's appropriate to ask a girl out depends on how much time you've spent interacting with one another, i.e. there's no point in asking for her number otherwise as she'll probably only think that you're asking her for general purposes and not in order to set a date with her...

---Just meaning that it should come naturally and that's it's better to ask her to hang out sometime (if you could do it at that precise moment) rather than to just for her number.. My opinion anyway, maybe you believe otherwise.

The couple of times I've approached a girl I just said, "Hey, we should hang out/go do such and such some time. Can I have your phone number?"

Latest posts

Back