H.P Lovecraft The Outsider

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arcane

Reaction score
Anyone else a fan of his work?? One of my favorite short stories is by him.."The Outsider", I just thought it was fitting for this forum.

"The Outsider" combines Horror, Fantasy, and Gothic Fiction to create a truly nightmarish story, containing themes of loneliness, the abhuman, and the afterlife.

you should read it if it sounds appealing.....i haven't talked to anyone else who has. o.0

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG!

I LOVED THIS STORY!

i can't believe someone else liked it too!! :D

:D:D:D!!!!!
I love it so much im glad you do too!!! :D
I read it a few times it's definately interesting. You like any of his other stuff?

SophiaGrace said:
OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG!

I LOVED THIS STORY!

i can't believe someone else liked it too!! :D

I especially love the opening paragraph...I'm a super nerd so I pulled it and i'm going to type it up...ahahah. sorry 8)

Unhappy is he to whom the memories of childhood bring only fear and sadness. Wretched is he who looks back upon lone hours in vast and dismal chambers with brown hangings and maddening rows of antique books, or upon awed watches in twilight groves of grotesque, gigangtic, and vine-encumbered trees, that silently wave twisted branches far aloft. Such a lot the gods gave to me- to me, the dazed, the disappointed; the barren, the broken. And yet I am strangely content and cling desperately to those sere memories, when my mind momentarily threatens to reach beyond to the other.

I've read all of his short stories and novellas. I have yet to read all the stories he wrote WITH other authors (his collaborations). :)

I've read a few of his stories back when I was 15, mostly from my dad's library. I remember loving them, but haven't read any since. I should work on that :)

Sweet. *hugs* I don't know why it makes me so happy to find someone else who loved the story. I don't know if i've read any of his collaborations.....I live with too many books.

Peter Lorre said:
I've read a few of his stories back when I was 15, mostly from my dad's library. I remember loving them, but haven't read any since. I should work on that :)

you should :3

Arcane said:
Sweet. *hugs* I don't know why it makes me so happy to find someone else who loved the story. I don't know if i've read any of his collaborations.....I live with too many books.

lol, because i share your love of something. :)

It's supposed to be exciting.

like OMG YOU TOO?! *squee!*

Like that. :rolleyes2:

*hugs back*

Shadow over Innsmouth is a favorite of mine, with The Whisperer in Darkness being a close second.

The Walker in the Cemetery, though not by Lovecraft, but in the same mythos, is also a favorite of mine and is by Ian Watson, an excellent writer of horrific themes.

I read Bloodcurdling Tales of Horror and the Macabre a while back, which is a compilation of a bunch of Lovecraft's stories. I liked pretty much all of them, but in particular I enjoyed The Whisperer in Darkness, The Dunwich Horror, The Colour Out of Space, and The Shadow Over Innsmouth.

Definitely interested in reading more. Hopefully I can find the other compilations, like Dreams of Terror and Death, at some point.

I've read some of these, I think my favourites are Through the Gates of the Silver Key, The Music of Eric Zann, The Whisperer in the Darkness and The Dreams in the Witch House - I thought Brown Jenkin was great minor charater. The underground vault stories he did do get a bit tiresome though.

Latest posts

Back