Habits

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Todd

Reaction score
What are your most compulsive habits? Do you regularly struggle to break these habits?

Well, my 2 habits. 1.) I click my throat. I've been trying to break this habit for years. It's annoying because I often wonder if people can hear me. I think that it is a nervous habit or if I am uncomfortable. Who knows? lol :)

2.) I wiggle my ears. It is so annoying. I have this one somewhat under control, but at times it is just a frenzy with the ears and the throat. lol lol :)

Next...

~ My habits (compulsive or not) vary,but heres a few

~i wash my hands excessively,even when im not handling something
That isnt dirty or unclean. I hate the fact that I wash my hands before I sleep or shower. On top of constantly washing my hands,i use so many hand wipes and hand sanitizer throughout the day . I swear its redundant,i havent tried to break the habit.I cant help liking pure sanitation.

~ I have to clean before I go to sleep,i am too anxious I guess. If I dont clean (even when im tired) before bed -i have to clean the house-.

Ok....thats only a couple but thats all I could think of at the
Moment

~ My habits (compulsive or not) vary,but heres a few

~i wash my hands excessively,even when im not handling something
That isnt dirty or unclean. I hate the fact that I wash my hands before I sleep or shower. On top of constantly washing my hands,i use so many hand wipes and hand sanitizer throughout the day . I swear its redundant,i havent tried to break the habit.I cant help liking pure sanitation.

~ I have to clean before I go to sleep,i am too anxious I guess. If I dont clean (even when im tired) before bed -i have to clean the house-.

Ok....thats only a couple but thats all I could think of at the
Moment
Cleanliness is a good habit to have and to pass around. I have my hand sanitizer on me at ALL times.

the most successful among us...

are NOT...

the most intelligent, or most well-connected, or richest...

they are those who have learned to BREAK/CHANGE/CONTROL their habits...

humans are creatures of habit.

some embrace it, and learn to control it.

others don't.

anyways, my habit?

i make a pattern with things.

that is all i will say, lol.

I have crippling OCD so if I was to even try to list all mine I'd be here f__king hours.

I have to organize everything before bed.

If something is missing (water for example) or something is misplaced, I can't sleep.

That's basically my only weird habit lol.

I decided to tell a few of my habits.

I have to have window shades closed when I'm eating. I can't stand the thought that people would be watching me eat when I'm inside my own home. I don't seem to mind it when I'm out in public (restaurant, etc). But when I'm at home, I'm in my ******* cave and NOBODY BETTER BE ABLE TO SPY ON ME, GODDAMMIT. :p

Another thing I do is that I have problems dialing numbers. It's more of a weird OCD thing. I have to "count" from 1 to 100 when I use a number pad. I press the numbers in order from 1-100 like so:

[ 1 ] [ 2 ] [ 3 ]
[ 4 ] [ 5 ] [ 6 ]
[ 7 ] [ 8 ] [ 9 ]
[ 0 ]

I press 1-9. Then I hit the "1" key twice to make 11. Then I hit "1" and "2" to make 12. Then I hit "1" and "3" to make 13... and so on, until I finally hit the "9" key twice, and then "1" and "0" twice. I don't always hit the keys with enough force to dial the numbers... touching them is OK as long as I'm still counting up to 100.

******* weird as honeysuckle, I know. But I have to do it when I use a phone. That's why I like to use a cellphone, so I can type in a number ONCE and then use my contacts list. lol

Another thing that I do quite often is to sleep on the floor. I don't know why, but when I come home from a long day of work, I'd rather flop down on my carpet and snooze than lay in bed. :p It's a man-animal thing, I guess.

Procrastination is easily my most immensely irritating habit. I'm doing it right now :p

Other than that, the compulsion to exercise at the most ridiculous times. I'll be around someone's house and start thinking frantically "Oh, I could really do my pushups right now. That bit of carpet looks suitable. But it would be socially unacceptable. Hmmmm..." :rolleyes:

Well, guess I can own up. Not that this matters in the long run...I gnaw my fingernails when I'm agitated. My brother points this out, constantly. :p Of course I've tried to stop, but it's a habit that'll never die.

I also tend to, dunno what's the proper expression for it in english, but move one of my legs up and down in a quick pace when I'm sitting. Dunno if it's a subconscious reaction to boredom, stress or whatnot, but I tend to do it quite often.

I also tend to organize my surroundings a whole lot when I'm out and about in the working world- my desk is always tidy. It's an odd contrast to my own living enviroment, which is something of an organized chaos. Psychological reasons? Dunno.

The "man-animal sleeping on the carpet"-thing really cracked me up :D
As far as I go, I have to obsessively check EVERYTHING before I can go to sleep - that means: making sure the windows are closed, making sure the front door is closed, that all faucets are turned off, that I haven't left the gas on or something. I'm just lucky I have a small apartment, with a bigger one I'd be messed. I've gotten this process down to about 3-5 minutes, but it used to be much worse :p (although sometimes I do have to check one of these things like 6 times, because it sometimes seems like my brain just won't register me checking one particular thing...)
Oh, and it's not really OCD or anything, but I generally freak out when I hear anyone (including myself) eating. Can't stand the sound, so I'm actually forced sometimes to ask people to at least eat with their mouths closed.

I, like annik, also have OCD, and I don't think I have any fingerprints left from washing my hands. I wash them in the shower many times too, and I go through about 10 hand towels a day, and at least one roll of paper towels too. That's the thing I hate the most about the OCD, but I could go on and on.

WishingWell said:
I, like annik, also have OCD, and I don't think I have any fingerprints left from washing my hands. I wash them in the shower many times too, and I go through about 10 hand towels a day, and at least one roll of paper towels too. That's the thing I hate the most about the OCD, but I could go on and on.

I completely feel you on this.

annik said:
I have crippling OCD so if I was to even try to list all mine I'd be here f__king hours.

.....i so think we have that in common,guess I just didnt want
To make an utterly huge list of my ocd-ish ways (i cant seem to
Kill) : /
Like:
~color coordinating my clothes in my closet even seperating by design
&style
~folding and organizing my clothes (drawers)by color and style as well
~checking and turning all lights and closed doors before I go to sleeo,inspecting lights and sockets....ect.
~making sure doors are locked at all times
~i iron my money
~i have like 4 separate jars for coins
~ everything I have from gadgets,makeup to accessories require over 40 designated containers
~i cant dry food on my plate touching wet food ,it freaks me out when the two are combined.

....wow I think im suffering from like some real form of ocd...

annik said:

.....i so think we have that in common,guess I just didnt want
To make an utterly huge list of my ocd-ish ways (i cant seem to
Kill) : /
Like:
~color coordinating my clothes in my closet even seperating by design
&style
~folding and organizing my clothes (drawers)by color and style as well
~checking and turning all lights and closed doors before I go to sleeo,inspecting lights and sockets....ect.
~making sure doors are locked at all times
~i iron my money
~i have like 4 separate jars for coins
~ everything I have from gadgets,makeup to accessories require over 40 designated containers
~i cant dry food on my plate touching wet food ,it freaks me out when the two are combined.

....wow I think im suffering from like some real form of ocd...

Hi, I think what makes something OCD is how you feel if you don't do these things. Or at least thats how I think about it and from what I've been told. I mean people can be particular and things but OCD for me means I get in an unbelievable state if things aren't done right or if something bothers me.

Rule of thumb, if you've no quality of life its OCD!

Your list does sound quite bad though...

For weird little things, I tend to pull my eyebrows out when I'm on the computer or reading. I also tend to only ever use one hand when I'm on the computer.

Bread said:
Well, guess I can own up. Not that this matters in the long run...I gnaw my fingernails when I'm agitated. My brother points this out, constantly. :p Of course I've tried to stop, but it's a habit that'll never die.

I also tend to, dunno what's the proper expression for it in english, but move one of my legs up and down in a quick pace when I'm sitting. Dunno if it's a subconscious reaction to boredom, stress or whatnot, but I tend to do it quite often.

I also tend to organize my surroundings a whole lot when I'm out and about in the working world- my desk is always tidy. It's an odd contrast to my own living enviroment, which is something of an organized chaos. Psychological reasons? Dunno.

~ yea,i suffer from the same things I guess. A couple
Of friends suggested to me maybe if I didnt have so much
Time on my hands id have less time to organize things. But I disagree,i think
I only have like 4 hours to myself thru out the whole day
Anyway.i dont know,just thought maybe I could relate.

PinkDelusion said:
I tend to pick my lips when they're dry, even after they're bleeding and sore. o_O it can be hard to stop, I could do it for hours and forget I am.

Same.

And I always need to do somethign with my hands even when they hurt like hell (d)

WishingWell said:

I was like this for a while!

Latest posts

Back