Happy Anniversary

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What do you think: is this a valid issue?

• Yes

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • No

• Maybe

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I Don't Know

• Total voters

bookbinder

Reaction score
So, here's the rub: It's about my one year anniversary with ALL. As with all anniversaries, it's time to take a moment to evaluate things. Reassess honeysuckle, if you will.

With any project, results are key. To get results, one evaluates data with an objective to measure the success or failure of project. Is the project a success or failure? What was the goal of project and did we accomplish it?

So, here's the obvious question. What purpose does ALL serve? I know a lot of people here will say that ALL is simply so that lonely people can get together and talk about their honeysuckle. To me, however, that seems superficial. That doesn't really help anybody. People hear the same honeysuckle over and over again and find no comfort in it. Don't get me wrong, obviously the place functions well as a social forum, too. But praising ALL for it's ability as a social gathering ignores what should be or could be its bigger purpose.

Obviously I don't have serious data. I don't have data on the number of folks who leave ALL given the amount who join on a monthly basis. I don't have survey responses on whether or not folks feel better about their lives after having joined ALL. I guess that data starts with the poll attached to this thread.

Maybe most of the people reading this will say it's bullshit. I don't pretend to speak for anyone but myself. But I've been here for a year, and it seems to me that this site needs to improve, with specific attention towards a goal designed to help folks recover from whatever it is that makes them lonely. A serious effort, not with the blind leading the blind, but with people willing to become experts on different topics so as to help people develop plans to better themselves in different areas. Someone who's learned to cope with public speaking. Someone who knows how to dress well. Someone who has an ease in making friends.

This is just an idea, folks. As I said, it's an anniversary. The idea is to assess things and start a conversation if people feel similarly.

This could be tricky. This site serves everybody differently; regimenting too much might do as much harm as good.

It's an interesting idea, and I don't think it would be out of place to have a forum set up within ALL for this purpose, but the site in general should remain the same.

That's just my opinion.

bookbinder said:
but with people willing to become experts on different topics so as to help people develop plans to better themselves in different areas. Someone who's learned to cope with public speaking. Someone who knows how to dress well. Someone who has an ease in making friends.

It seems to me that experts have never been able to help me much. I have gone to counseling my whole life and never gained much from it. I went to counseling two semesters ago to help me get through school and all my counselor did was make me more stressed out. And even talking to others who do not suffer with my anxieties cant help. I came on here and wrote about my anxiety and i received more help from non-experts, from people just like me going through the same crap, trying to make it every day, then ive ever gotten from experts. One thing someone said to me on here seriously got me through my last semester.

The ironic thing is- i think we are the experts on loneliness and all its complications. We live it, we struggle with it, and we try to do better the next day. Sometimes people have good days that they can give encouragement, and on bad days they have a place to get encouragement. And some people are better in certain areas, but still understand enough to speak the language of loneliness. i think from now on whenever i see LOL im going to think "language of loneliness."

I'm not talking experts as in licensed professionals- what I meant was for forum members to become "experts" through their experiences and dispense real advice as helpful advocates who have succeeded in whatever field they're helping others with.

The idea I had about experts was just an example. My main point is this: is ALL helping everyone it can, or are there constructive changes that can be made to its structure that would enable it to help more people?

I for one did NOT come here to find a way to recover....that is what I go to my psychiatrist for. This site is my place to come to get my little gold star next to my name that says " Yes, sometimes Rhonda Can play well with others'
I had no expectations and still dont, I also do not place expectations on others here. Live and let live man!

However, this has been the first forum of anytype that I have EVER been able to maintain any level of participation on and still enjoy, and I have been online for over 12 years now. I did get an added bonus of meeting some nice people and some really really great people that I never thought would happen.

I do also believe unethical to dispense that type of advice without some type of repercussions. We dole out personal experiences but when someone is in crisis it is best left to the professionals. I would hate for someone on here to have someone elses choices that they made due to their advice left hanging over their heads.

All...just like life. It's what i make of it....

mmm...I haven't really focus on my grammer or spelling,

however I've been focus on other areas of my life. All played a part in it.
Has ALL solved all of my problems ?...of course not

Happy 1 year on All BookBinder

Latest posts

Back