Hard Question: If you met someone online and wanted to get serious

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abe109

Reaction score
What would you do if you fell in love with somebody you met online? Well firstly I think *please do this before meeting in person* you would have to video chat (try using gmail, aim, hotmail) with them before so you get no SPOOKY surprises. Secondly, I would check to have a meeting arranged somewhere there is a big crows of people 1) for your safety.. 2) avoids awkwardness.. Oh and DO NOT get serious with them really quickly, try to give it some time. Please also keep in mind that people you meet online could've lied to you about anything and it's most likely they did at some point. If you're going to have anything really serious with them I would get a blood test just to make sure, get one yourself too. Do not present them to your family right away. When you ARE going out with them try to be pleasant.. You might have flown 2 states to see them but act as if it was just another regular date.
Please add any other suggestions!

Well, my experience has been that the more you talk online, the more awkward it is to meet them because you've run out of icebreakers, and it's kind of odd to just spontaneously be able to act comfortable around someone you've just met. I talked to one girl online for almost a year and when we met we barely talked. It's a long story, but it was kind of scarring.

Brian said:
Well, my experience has been that the more you talk online, the more awkward it is to meet them because you've run out of icebreakers, and it's kind of odd to just spontaneously be able to act comfortable around someone you've just met. I talked to one girl online for almost a year and when we met we barely talked. It's a long story, but it was kind of scarring.

nice comment!
I'll keep that in mind :D

Just give up and run the fresia away.

Ok, no. Sorry, that was my own bitterness taking over for a sec.

Do it sooner rather than later. The longer you go before meeting, the greater the chance that she/he/whoever, has built you up so far in her/his/its mind to such an extent that you simply can not live up to this ideal. Eventually, all comes crashing down around you in fiery wreckage and bitter recrimination.

No one needs that honeysuckle.

cheaptrickfan said:
Just give up and run the fresia away.

Ok, no. Sorry, that was my own bitterness taking over for a sec.

Do it sooner rather than later. The longer you go before meeting, the greater the chance that she/he/whoever, has built you up so far in her/his/its mind to such an extent that you simply can not live up to this ideal. Eventually, all comes crashing down around you in fiery wreckage and bitter recrimination.

No one needs that honeysuckle.
harsh words but so true

abe109 said:
Please also keep in mind that people you meet online could've lied to you about anything and it's most likely they did at some point. If you're going to have anything really serious with them I would get a blood test just to make sure, get one yourself too.

Okay, now... it's kind of weird to say people you meet online could have lied to you and it's most likely they did at some point. That is equally true about somebody you meet in person. Anybody you meet anywhere could lie to you about anything! Personally, I don't lie to people I meet online.

Suggestion: have a solid meet date. Otherwize (sadly) it is likely that they will become lonely and sad with all the uncertainty...leaving you for someone offline.

I shouldn't have read this thread because it made me somewhat depressed but it won't effect me. I met someone online that I have gotten quite serious with and I just know they are true, I can feel it. I have always been quite pessimistic but this is the time in my life where I'm really optimistic because I feel like and know I have found a real gem.

People tell me to watch out, saying things like. Some people just want your money or that online relationships don't seem to work. I know everyone is trying to help and it always makes me happy when someone looks out for others. Even my own parents would probably put it down and one of them already has but like I know my judgement can be trusted. This thread was a good idea but I just wanted to express my situation.

I just can feel and know that this person is so true, she just so amazing. This is the time of my life that I'm going to let optimism guide me and not pessimism. One of my best friends growing up with me in my teen years. Met someone online and ended up getting married. Those are stories I can use to reinforce my feelings for someone. My closest friends have been very optimistic about it but the most important thing is how I feel about it myself. I feel so happy and content about it. This girl is so amazing, I just have never met someone so wonderful in my life.

We talk like 2-3 hours every night on the phone and even one day this past week like 4 hours and like 40 minutes straight. Just everything she does and I do is so true. I'm trying my hardest to help start saving up to help out whomever one of us is going to visit. She is already trying to as well. I know that this thread is for the consideration of others and I love this site. The people here are so amazing. I just wanted to try to come from an optimistic standpoint. That I'm being postiive in my current situation :).

I wouldn't say you'll run out of things. There's still plenty of things to say to someone. However, maybe in person, you might not connect as much. But if there's chemistry then I think you'll be okay. I think it's more of if you click with someone or not.

I think I did everything you're not supposed to do when meeting someone from online. I'm not suggesting everyone else should throw caution into the wind. I just got very lucky. The guy I met was the same person he was online, and we just clicked. Over two years later of being in the same beautiful relationship, and I wouldn't have done anything different.

Remedy said:
I shouldn't have read this thread because it made me somewhat depressed but it won't effect me. I met someone online that I have gotten quite serious with and I just know they are true, I can feel it. I have always been quite pessimistic but this is the time in my life where I'm really optimistic because I feel like and know I have found a real gem.

People tell me to watch out, saying things like. Some people just want your money or that online relationships don't seem to work. I know everyone is trying to help and it always makes me happy when someone looks out for others. Even my own parents would probably put it down and one of them already has but like I know my judgement can be trusted. This thread was a good idea but I just wanted to express my situation.

I just can feel and know that this person is so true, she just so amazing. This is the time of my life that I'm going to let optimism guide me and not pessimism. One of my best friends growing up with me in my teen years. Met someone online and ended up getting married. Those are stories I can use to reinforce my feelings for someone. My closest friends have been very optimistic about it but the most important thing is how I feel about it myself. I feel so happy and content about it. This girl is so amazing, I just have never met someone so wonderful in my life.

We talk like 2-3 hours every night on the phone and even one day this past week like 4 hours and like 40 minutes straight. Just everything she does and I do is so true. I'm trying my hardest to help start saving up to help out whomever one of us is going to visit. She is already trying to as well. I know that this thread is for the consideration of others and I love this site. The people here are so amazing. I just wanted to try to come from an optimistic standpoint. That I'm being postiive in my current situation :).

You haven't met in person?

I'm not sure I COULD fall in love with someone online. I could become good friends and everything... but online relationships are too impersonal for me; they lack that physical closeness and chemistry (pheremones, touch, etc). So I wouldn't ever really be "in love" with someone online unless I actually met up with them in person a few times.

@Remedy: WOOOOT!! :D I like the positive attitude, man! Awesome!

Latest posts

Back