hard to keep lasting friendships

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sweetviki

Reaction score
I've realised thats its not that I have trouble meeting people and starting a conversation its the keeping the relationships going after a while that I have problems with. For example I've made a friend and everything seemed alright and in the beggining we had lots to talk about but after a while I've realised the relationship seemed to dwindle. I had less and less to say over time because it seemed like we pretty much covered most topics in conversation and as far as my life goes its really not that interesting right now so I dont have alot to talk about when it comes to myself. I'm still in high school and it seems that most ppl just talk about other people , who they hang out with, and how much they have been drinking, smoking etc... the past weekend. I dont have car right now because I'm tight on money and I live in an area where it is esential to get araound even go to work so I dont have a job until my family desides to buy me a car once I go to college this coming fall. I can start a conversation and meet people but then it seems like I dont become a close friend just someone that they know not want to invite to come hang out with them and sometimes I think its because of me having little oportunity to go out without relying on other for transportation. I just dont know I seem to be missing something and hopefuly once I start college things will be different and I can me new people and make connections. Even now in class I cant seem to talk to people I've previously met if I havent tlaked to them in a while or I've seen them alot but our relationship didnt go anywhere. Strangers and new individuals its no problem but after a while if the realtionship dwindles I just feel akward around that person. I just dont know what I'm missing and how to fix it.

It's tough keeping friends and relationships, I agree.. But the ones worth having, well, they just won't disappear on ya.. It's really about compatibility, and finding people that we feel at ease with being around. I'm sure once you get to college you'll find making friends easier because you'll have so much more to talk about and discuss with others. What are you going to be studying in college? College will open so many doors for you, and you just got to keep trying, because there are people out there that are so worth knowing!!

I agree with cleo. And yea I agree that if your not doing much in your life right now and every one else is then it can seem to make it difficult to make convo with other ppl

Like I am busy all day on here and other stuff that I mees around with but when someone asks me what I have been up to all day I really have no answer. Its a good way to stop the conversation and have the awkward moment of no one saying anything.

BTW Welcome back SV

Im a junior in High school so I kinda understand where your coming from (...plus I cant drive >.<). There are people that I used to tal about things with but just drifted from and looking at them now we have almost nothing in common. Its sad to see former friends drift away and worse when you realize you cant pull them back. I try to be really charismatic around my group that I tend to hang with, it tends to keep the conversation going but not many of them see me as 'wanna hang out outside of school?' material :(

All I can think of is when you run out of things about yourself to talk about talk about something in the news or just bring up a random thought and see where it takes you ( I asked my girlfriend if you could splice a cheetah's DNA into a human and now we have been argueing about it all day lol...and probably tomorrow as well since I refuse to concede my obvious defeat.) random things can lead to interesting results! :)

Well, if they can mix a goat and a spider. Then I don't see why they can't mix a human and a cheetah.

Skorian said:
Well, if they can mix a goat and a spider. Then I don't see why they can't mix a human and a cheetah.

Moral issues that's the only thing holding us back psh ;)

I haven't been able to keep any friends longer than a couple years I just seem incapable of doing it, just run out of things to say or slowly drift apart

NeverMore said:
Skorian said:

Moral issues that's the only thing holding us back psh ;)

I haven't been able to keep any friends longer than a couple years I just seem incapable of doing it, just run out of things to say or slowly drift apart
Ahhh
once you find the right friends it wont matter :)

sweetviki said:
I've realised thats its not that I have trouble meeting people and starting a conversation its the keeping the relationships going after a while that I have problems with.
welcome to the club...where im the president.
nice meeting u

highschool is almost nothing comparing to almost the rest of my life...so far..and not friendships..h/b serious relationships

I T R E A L Y S U C K S,I T R E A L Y S U C K S,I T R E A L Y S U C K S,I T R E A L Y S U C K S,I T R E A L Y S U C K S

sweetviki said:
... its the keeping the relationships going after a while that I have problems with. For example I've made a friend and everything seemed alright and in the beggining we had lots to talk about but after a while I've realised the relationship seemed to dwindle...

I find a pretty similar thing. Circumstances move me to a new area where i meet a number of people and things are fine for awhile. Somewhere down the road i notice that the number and closeness or relationships has dwindled. Like there is something about keeping it an ongoing process that totally escapes me.

As good as you sound at meeting people, you will make all kinds of friends at college. Even quiet little me did, so you should have no problem with it. It still won't make you immune to relationships fading away but in all likelihood some of the people will become really close friends.

Latest posts

Back