Have you ever been strung along?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msbxa

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone here has had an experience along the lines of when you liked someone but you felt or later learned that they were just "stringing you along" ?

How do you know when someone is doing this to you or how did you recognize it?

In the last five or six years I've had some people do this to me, a rather gullible person way back then. Every week these people bombarded me with endless emails when really, just three letters might have sufficed for the week, and another woman abruptly acted completely out of character to the sweet and caring person I had come to trust, leading to me to wonder if in fact she held a secret hate for my being a mother to kids when she was in fact, sadly barren. In the end they got blocked and to feel extra safe I made a new email account under my maiden name.

Except just over two years ago my best female friend introduced me to some online friends of hers she had known for quite a while. They were very nice, caring sort of people who had seperate instant messenger accounts so they could let her and me know by email who was going to be online, and when. One of them was an adult, mum to one of the older teenage girls. We got on ever so well. In her I was a kind of replacement to the two daughters she had tragically lost years ago, but never got over her bereavement. To me, this lady was to become an online mum to replace my real mum who had acted so despicably when I was a young teenager. Over the months she and I grew closer still because I found she was so easy to trust because of her obvious sincerity and caring. She gave me help in coping with my oldest brother's suicide and latterly my dear Dad suffering to eventually die from leukemia. She helped me become Dad's legal caregiver, encouraging me through times of personal doubt. Very often we talked into the night, and very often me in tears and her helping me to find my courage to go on.

Except I began to wonder if these people were really genuine because their family's loves and losses seemed to mirror mine. For example, when I mentioned one of my oldest sisters witness the deaths of her own parents as she anxiously waited their late return home, this older lady told me of similar. That she had witnessed the deaths of her two daughters and husband in a road accident right outside her house. I got a frisson then. I began wondering, despite all this apparent caring for me, was I in fact being deceived, strung along?

Another girl in this family said almost verbatim her bitter experience that mirrored my own personal abuse suffered at the hands of my vicious oldest brother. And so these little stories came out, one by one, and throughout the oncoming months there were a great many more coincidencies. I'm not exactly short of a penny or two that having become very suspicious by then, I employed a private investigator. I payed him well to go abroad to make the investigations I was wanting information on. To find answers to questions that these people had evaded, making me wonder if they were genuine at all. Just to be on the safe side my P.I. went through my lawyer and though it took time, evidence mounted to prove these people were not genuine whatsoever. Chillingly, the lady who was like a mum to me, her indentity he found was not found at the address. Things were just not adding up.

In the end she was tracked down living in Manhattan, New York and it turned out that this woman I had taken into my trust had a personality disorder. How my PI discovered that I cannot disclose here, but he was very, very thorough. Later then, when on instant messenger I constructively criticised one of her family, I received an avalanche of emailed abuse. Nasty vicious emails, completely horrible and very, very threatening. During the week that led to that fateful day when I hit a breakdown not helping my marriage at the time, it dawned on me that the lady I had taken into my trust had never had kids and had been pretending to be two people. All she told me in email and during instant messenger turned out to be total ******* goddamned fiction. That fateful day I discovered she had an alter-ego which she had merciliessly used to crush me. I don't remember much of what happened except in a rage I smashed my computer up prior to self-injuring. >_<

These people who played games with me were from the outset, kind and caring. Towards the end they became calculating and cruel. They did my ******* head in. They betrayed my trust. They broke my heart. Their nastiness triggered me into having a breakdown. To this day I still get nightmares of what happened. I have to sleep with the bedside light left on dim. I am scared of the dark. Every night I find sleep difficult.

I think people who play mind games should be ******* locked up. Whoever they were they should have never met my best female friend and broke her heart, too. They hurt my feelings til I became numb. And then only recently after my daughter and I had gone out of our way to help another friend of ours, we got such an angry email that I vomited because it triggered memories of what took place two years ago. To say I was upset was an understatement.

Consequently I am left frightened, very wary now of talking to people online except a dear family friend in Canada. I cannot find any courage to even visit the forum's chat room. I hope you lovely people understand now why I just can not bring myself to go in there. :(

Years later, I can't tell anymore. But I sure remember how I was accused of stringing someone else along once.

Truth is always a matter of perspective though...and I seem to find myself on the wrong side of the fence more than often.

Oh yeah, I'm sure most people have had that happen. I suppose being a woman makes one vulnerable to men who only want sex but are willing to say anything to make you think otherwise!

Easier said than done sometimes but the best thing to do is turn around and run away.

-Teresa

SofiasMami said:
Oh yeah, I'm sure most people have had that happen. I suppose being a woman makes one vulnerable to men who only want sex but are willing to say anything to make you think otherwise!

Easier said than done sometimes but the best thing to do is turn around and run away.

-Teresa

All depends on how much conscience a person has I suppose.

Yep, got strung along a few times.

You don't always see it coming and can't always notice it, those who do it are good at it and can hide their intentions. Some of these people tend to pray on a persons weakness or needs and exploit them.

HoodedMonk said:
Solivagant said:

Something tells me it was painful for you. :/

I think it's always painful to be strung along. :(

msbxa said:
Just wondering if anyone here has had an experience along the lines of when you liked someone but you felt or later learned that they were just "stringing you along" ?

How do you know when someone is doing this to you or how did you recognize it?

I've been strung along too myself. I suppose the truth always comes out eventually.. sooner or later. In my experience, usually it's in their actions and behaviours, any changes in those or strangeness. Often times I'd overlook these things and think maybe it's me, that's when the stringing along drags on cos I ignore the "red flags" of some sort.

I was kind of strung along once, at least.
'My first love' kind of relationship was like that. She was the first girl I really, truly cared about. She told me everything I wanted to hear, I guess. She was everything I wanted... But in reality she was just cheating on me behind my back, I think with more than one guy, too. When I found out she would just string me along even further. Convince me to stay, and basically imply that she would choose me. It was an emotionally abusive relationship. I guess she didn't really, truly care about my feelings in reality, but she sure acted like she did. I guess she was just a good actress. It was more of a game to her, I believe. Eventually I found out she was cheating on me for the second (or maybe it was the third) time and I just ended it and broke all contact with her. She even tried to email me after about a month, I think, trying to get me back. I didn't reply. My whole world was destroyed by her. I went into a rather deep depression. I also became a very bitter person.

Years later she would add me to MySpace (yeah, remember that site?) only because she found my email address and couldn't remember who it was. I accepted the request and I told her it was me. She told me she was sorry for what she did to me years before. I haven't talked to her since then but, you know, I accept her apology. I never even needed an apology, really. We were both very young... Things change. People change. I know that. I can't hold grudges. I don't ever want to be the kind of person who can't let go of the past. It's just not me. Not anymore.

lonelyfairy said:
Yes. It's the best thing to be honest as possible.

I'm confused, fairy. Are you saying that being strung along is the best thing? Or I'm not understanding things once again? Hmm.

PenDragon said:
lonelyfairy said:

I'm confused, fairy. Are you saying that being strung along is the best thing? Or I'm not understanding things once again? Hmm.

No, you understood wrong. I meant it's better to be honest and not lead the other person to wrong way.

My first three "relationships" yeah. But it could just be that I'm too persistent and I should know when to just give up instead. :O

lonelyfairy said:
PenDragon said:
lonelyfairy said:

No, you understood wrong. I meant it's better to be honest and not lead the other person to wrong way.

Oh, sorry. Thank you.
Oh No! what the! When I last read your comment it looked to me as
Yes, It's the best feeling in this world

Sorry, fairy. I'm really sorry. My mind was somewhere else, I didn't even read it right. Sorry for confusion. **** it! I'm making mess again.

Latest posts

Back