Have you ever felt guilty or embarrassed about posting on a site for lonely people?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't really tell people about this place....as for feeling embarrassed myself for coming here....not really....I'm lonely....I know I am.

Nop.
I don't go shouting it from the hilltops but everyone I know, which exclusively consists of my immediate family, the nurses, and my therapist, knows I'm lonely. I know I'm lonely. It only makes sense to find other people who are just as lonely as I am.

Doubt The Rabbit said:
Nop.
I don't go shouting it from the hilltops but everyone I know, which exclusively consists of my immediate family, the nurses, and my therapist, knows I'm lonely. I know I'm lonely. It only makes sense to find other people who are just as lonely as I am.

Don't worry, you've found them.

*raises hand*

If I'm not embarrassed for having social anxiety, and posting on a forum about that, why would I be embarrassed here?

Solitary man said:
Doubt The Rabbit said:
Nop.

Don't worry, you've found them.

*raises hand*

Oh, there you are! :D I've been lookng all over the internet for you! :p

I just made a huge banner saying "I POST ON THE LONELY LIFE FORUMS" and am going to hang it outside my house this morning.

I don't know.

On the one hand, I try to be as honest as possible on here to avoid misrepresenting myself, and just in my life in general. I value sincerity and I try to avoid wearing masks. I don't like fake people, and I don't see the point in being fake, so I try not to be fake myself. But this results in me sharing a lot of details that I wouldn't want to share with, say, family members - things like recreational drug and alcohol use, sexuality and sexual preferences, fights with some members where I've been especially violent and mean-spirited (sometimes deserved, sometimes not, but probably all undignified), anger and despair.

I think I must have told at least some of my close friends about being here, at some point in time. But they didn't give me any grief about it, and we haven't really discussed it. I'm pretty sure my friends and family are aware of the general idea that I would like a romantic relationship but struggle to get one, and am unhappy with my life in general.

But do I really feel embarrassed, or guilty for being here? Not really. I've struggled to find my place in the world, I don't fit neatly into a lot of the "boxes", so it hasn't been easy for me to figure myself out. And this place has helped with that. Also I've met a lot of people that I get along with and relate to on here, so that's been nice too.

I don't feel guilty or embarassed. I don't hide it, but I also don't advertise it. I think most of my friends and family....and even some strangers, have seen me using the site. Everyone is lonely at some point in their life, so it's nothing to be ashamed of. The stigma on mental health is crap and it needs to stop. If a place like this helps you, who the hell cares what others think.

Last edited:
High suicide rates are (largely) a result of people bottling up their emotions and being too embarrassed to speak to their friends and families about what is bothering them. It's very isolating to suffer in silence.

I didn't realise just how much I was keeping inside until I joined my peer support group last year. And now I can't imagine being without them. I wouldn't say that I would have killed myself by now if I hadn't joined, but I've certainly felt a whole lot more comfort since.

Latest posts

Back