Hello

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dreamentia

Reaction score
My name is Fred. I'm 39 years old. Single. Male. I live in central California with my two adult nephews. Both are special needs. Since 2003 I've lost both of my parents and my two older siblings. I was the baby of the family. I have numerous aunts, uncles and cousins who live in the same area as I do. However I and my nephews are completely shunned by the family. We have not seen some of our relatives in years. Everyone has our phone number and address. We get no calls on holidays. No birthday wishes. When we run into an aunt or cousin whilst shopping or on a walk, the look of panic in their eyes is clear. They'd rather be anywhere else at that moment in time. I assume it's because we don't fit in with the rest of them. The boys are mentally slow. I am overweight, balding, not in the best health (I have tachycardia and high blood pressure). Better to shun the "freaks" in their minds. Put us away in a dark corner and pretend we don't exist.

I have no real friends either. I have always been overweight. School was traumatic. The few friends I did manage to make over the years, came and went. As childhood friends often do. I've never had a girlfriend. At nearly 40 years of age I'm still waiting for my first date. A first kiss. Holding a woman's hand. I've began to doubt it will ever happen.

I have anxiety attacks and suffer from chronic insomnia and depression. I have absolutely no one to talk to. Just the boys. And they are more or less children in men's bodies. Very little changes from day to day. I wake up around eleven or noon. Shower, make sure the boys have eaten. Get the mail. Take my medication (I'm on 5 pills per day to control irregular heart rhythms and high blood pressure). Get online and either play games on Facebook (I have several of my relatives as friends. They never post to my wall or reply to my status updates. I was taken to hospital by ambulance in May, due to a possible heart attack. I posted the information when I was released a day later. No replies. My cousin posted that her cat had broken its leg. She received 8 replies offering her cat prayers and telling her she was in everyone's thoughts), or watch old films on youtube. I do light house work, I make dinner. I go to bed around 5 a.m. Day after day after day.

It would be nice to have a friend.

Hi Fred :)

Your situation seems heart-wrenching... Some things that I can relate to myself and others I can't even imagine. I have a niece that is special needs, although an infant, she needs to be watched 24/7 -- it's difficult. Hardly know how my sister does it, really. Correct me if I am wrong, but I assume you watch over your nephews? That is very admirable of you.

Anyway, welcome to the forum!

Latest posts

Back