Hello

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Overthinker

Reaction score
Hi, people. I just found this site, and I thought I'd try this out.

because I was home-schooled since 2nd grade, I've never had many chances to meet people. When I was a kid, I was perfectly happy with the way I behaved around strangers or friends. I didn't care so much what other people thought; so I was free to be who I am. But as I've gotten older, I began noticing others' eyes rolling and heads shaking at everything I say. Slowly I've started accepting the idea that ANYTHING I enjoy and ANYTHING I want to talk about is inferior to what other people like or want to talk about.

I see a friend of mine; so I'll walk up and say, "Hey, man, did you see the new episode of--" (Friend interrupts) "Dude, I was reading this book last night... (blah, blah, blah)" So, trying to be polite, I give him the benefit of the doubt. I think to myself, "you know what, he probably just didn't hear me! Yeah, I'm sure that's it." So I don't mention anything about it to him. But this keeps happening. People realize they can walk all over me and ignore what I say. After deciding I'd had enough of this, I started telling people "HEY! I was in the middle of something!" And then they'll respond in a silly voice "Aw, shut up!" or something like that. Then they proceed as though I hadn't said anything.

This has happened to me so much, that whenever I think to myself, " I want to talk to Jack about my weekend," I open my mouth briefly, before remembering the verbal slap in the face I received last time I tried to steer the conversation, and then the words sort of die on my lips. It's almost as if these "friends" of mine want me to sit down, shut up, and listen to their monologue. But... they're my "friends," right? Why would a friend do that to me?

Long story short (Haha, too late for that) I find myself very alone, even when I'm with my friends. They don't seem to respect me. Not sure what to do now.

Welcome to the forum.

Some people are just ignorant like that, you can't take it to heart much. Have you ever tried just ignoring them when they interrupt and keep talking. I do that to my brother sometimes, especially when he won't shut up to let someone else talk. As soon as he takes a pause I try to get something in, then he gets mad because "he was still talking". Then I'll say "I thought you were done because that's all you've been doing". Usually shuts him up for a bit. :D

Those sound like friends you need to cut off. Anyone who will treat you like that needs to removed from your life, in my opinion. There are people who will treat you well and it's a waste to spend your time on those who mistreat.

Hi there and welcome.

I still have some friends who are a bit like that. But also some who aren't. A balance would be good, I think. See who you can find....:)

Welcome to the forum. The beautiful thing about this is, you won't get cut off here!

I don't have friends to vent to, or tell about my accomplishments, so I made them on here and chat via personal message, or the chat room. I hope you find what you need here!

Hi. I am new to this site too and can relate to what you are going through. I see others doing it all the time to each other. People are so interested in themselves they have forgotten how to show interest in others. It drives me crazy when I see it happening. I know that everyone isn't like this but more and more people seem to be only plugged into their own interests and opinions and think it is just fine to dismiss anyone elses.

Latest posts

Back