Here With A New Resolve

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shio

Reaction score
(This is going to be long. You've been warned. Spent 6 hours writing this and didn't spell check so there is probably going to be mistakes that I'll fix later.)

It's been a while since I've last signed in here so for those who know me or remember who I am, hello! For those who don't know me, why ruin a good thing?

I remember when I joined this site a while back and I remember why as well. I was lonely and never had any friends. Has that changed since I left this site? Not really, only my attitude has changed. I'm not lonely anymore, I still don't have any friends and frankly I prefer it stay that way for reasons I'll get into later.

I cured my loneliness by myself without having to get therapy or take pills. After a while of thinking and reasoning I realized that I didn't need people. Who had to do something when I was depressed? Me. Who had to something when I was lonely? Me. It was always me, it was never anybody else because I don't need anybody else and a lot of us don't either. Think about it when you was lonely or depressed what did you do besides cry? Reach out to people? Sure but we all know that didn't work now did it? So what did you do then? Sleep? Play video games? Watch tv? Go for a walk? Whatever you did you most likely did it alone. There is no need to rely on people. Mankind has been obsolete for a while now. Even animals don't need us, we need them. The reason sayings like "Dogs is man's best friend" exist is because mankind is so inept it can't even do well by its own species.

Just face it, if you're alone now, alone for a long time or always been alone chances are high that you're going to stay that way. I've read so much stuff on the internet that's like "I'm alone and I try not to be alone but it never works. What am I doing wrong?" Most likely nothing. Sure social anxiety and depression make things hard but do you really think you'll be able to make friends if you didn't have those things? I'm not saying you should be lazy and expect something in return either but if anything think of reasons why you're alone and don't just make up excuses why you're not the one to blame. I've been on here, reddit and other websites and I see why a lot of people on those sites are alone. Reason #1 they're boring and lazy. I've been in countless conversations that end about four replies later because the person was boring and expected me to keep the conversation going and always be the one to initiate it. If you're not going to try to be interesting why should anyone try to talk to you? Reason #2 you're unappealing. Yes society's shallow but sometimes being shallow is a good thing. You wouldn't eat at a restaurant that's raggedy, unkempt and smelled bad would you? Same thing goes for a person. Being unattractive isn't as hard to fix as one's personality so whatever you have to do to look somewhat presentable do so. Shave any rough patchy facial hair if needed, if your hair is too short, try to grow it out to see how it looks, instead of wearing the white tank top with the grease stain on it try wearing a shirt with sleeves and buttons, lastly if you smell or your skin is two toned because you don't bathe enough, bathe. Reason #3 you live somewhere that isn't ideal for you. Reason #4 you were just destined to be alone and there is nothing you can do about it but there is no harm in trying.

I've watched The Age Of Loneliness and I can honestly say everyone in the documentary had problems that are easy to solve. Lonely because you moved away from friends and family? Visit them, have them visit you, call them, get on webcam and if you really want to save money, send them a letter. There was one guy in the documentary that called his kids self absorbed but he's the one that's self absorbed. He was complaining about being lonely because he wasn't to able to hang out with adults when his kids were home even though they don't stay with him all the time. He should spend more time with them rather than complain about not being able to hang out with others the times his children are home. I understand missing being in a relationship and having to take care of kids on top of that but I didn't know your kids magically turn invisible after divorce. Maybe instead of spending most of your time on social media take care of your kids and make sure they don't grow up lonely? Feeling lonely because you have no one but your kids? Spend time with your kids. I don't know where the notion has come from that people think they can have kids and have their own life at the same time but that is not so. One thing that infuriated me about the documentary was the married guy wanting to commit suicide because he was feeling lonely. If you're lonely and married what's the point of being married? I understand people who have nobody taking their life but married people doing it? Despicable. I can't stand the idea of someone taking their life, not telling their spouse the reason why they would want to and possibility of leaving the spouse with a bunch of financial problems once they die. I thought one of the reasons of being married is to have someone to confide in but if you can't confide in your own spouse that's a whole different problem on its own that you need to figure out. One thing I really couldn't understand was the elderly people in the documentary being lonely. When your elderly you don't have a lot of time left to be lonely before you hit the bucket. Old and lonely because you have no one to do things with? Find something that you like to do and do it yourself before you're dead and can't do anything anymore.

Why are people scared of dying alone? Don't tell me you want to die and take someone with you cause that's a scary attitude to have. All jokes aside, there is nothing to be scared of. Worried that you'll drop dead with no one to find out about it right away? That's not your problem let the person who finds you take responsibility of reporting your passing to the police. One question I have is why don't people prefer to die alone? Those who have nobody are lucky in their own way. Are people so egotistic that they want everything to be about them even after they die? Why would you want someone to mourn, forever miss you and possibly take have to days off work until they feel better enough to return anyway? If it was possible and I were to die before my mother and sister I would prefer all memories they have of me to be erased. I may not like them much but they have a lot of things to worry about and a dead body shouldn't be one of them. When I die I want to be cremated and have my ashes to be thrown away or tossed in a lake. I don't want my remains sitting in an urn of whatever family member's residence that threw the short straw as a representation of someone they lost and will never see again.

For those who were always alone or just alone and tried to reach out, got hurt but choose to reach out again...why? Why are you doing this to yourself? How many times must you get hurt until you realize you should try something else? Are you really in such a rush to have someone pour acid in your wounds? If you've tried everything you know how to find company and nothing has worked you should just accept it and move on. The problem with society is that no one wants to live in reality anymore. As I've mentioned before a lot of people who search for company want their "dream girl" or their "dream guy" they require their partner to have all sorts of characteristics and won't settle for anything less. Since when can beggars be choosers? Most likely you need people more than people need you. I'm not saying you have to settle for just anybody but if you have unreasonably high standards and not going to compromise you're not going to find what you want. Remember why the kind of person you want is a dream girl or guy, because that's where they exist, in your dreams.

Those who have absolutely nobody don't just dwell on the negative aspects of it. You don't have anything to lose and that's a good thing. Don't you know that love is dangerous? I don't want friends or a boyfriend because I never had them. You can't miss what you never had and I don't want something to miss. What's worse than wanting something you'll never have is gaining something you wanted just to lose it and spend your life trying to regain what you lost and having to settle on less if you manage to find anything at all. That is what makes being divorced is worse than never being married so I rather not get married or have friends. I've spent too much of my life trying to make friends, I'm not gonna spend the rest of it digging through a bunch of garbage in search of something that might not even be there.

In conclusion, just do whatever the hell you want to but spend your time wisely. Nobody has to like you, love you, care about you or do anything with you and the same goes for yourself. If you're lonely and have people that care about you find a way to keep in contact with them. If you're alone find comfort in your own company so you won't need anybody else. It's your choice. Spend your life with people you care about, spend your life doing what you want and the heck with everybody else or partake in a possibly redundant, never ending search for someone who may not even exist in the first place, knowing that it'll most likely be the end of you before the end of your search. Whatever you choose to rely on, know that if you rely solely on mankind for happiness you're gonna lose.

^ +1 !!!

Wow... I agree with you absolutely everything about this!! I think exactly the same. Nothing to add. Was well worth it to read it. :)

Shio said:
If you're lonely and have people that care about you find a way to keep in contact with them.
One of the worst mistakes I've ever made was losing touch with people who actually cared about me.
But who knows? If things hadn't been like that then it might not have been a mistake after all. Maybe they wouldn't have liked the new me.
Things like that are why I do not do regrets.

But I don't think it is exactly like you suggest. That it is pointless to search for or to gain something only for the possibility to lose it. Being divorced isn't worse than never being married. Such things aren't really comparable. They are just different.

I agree that you don't need love or friends or anything like that, but at the same time it isn't wrong to have them. It's not wrong to want them either. I think that is part of what you're trying to say, though. Just do what you want to do and do it all before it's too late. I would fully agree with that, if that is what you're saying.

****, you've really nailed it. Listen up, boring, lazy, ugly, unhygienic, stupid lonely people: you expect too much!

Good to have it all clarified for us in a condescending sermon, thank you.

ardour said:
Had to stop reading about half-way through. I think your bio says it all really.

So lonely people are boring, lazy, ugly, unhygienic and stupid. Got it.

Uh....no. You should read the other half if you haven't done so already. However thanks for reminding me to change my bio. I haven't changed my bio since I've last been here months ago and my attitude isn't the same as before. c: <3

What I'm saying is that instead of just sitting there being alone, wonder why you're alone. It seems no one ever considers that they're at fault for own their problems, the blame is always on someone else. And yes! Long explanation short: You want something? Put in effort into it. You wouldn't go to an interview looking any kind of way and expect to get the job. Same thing should apply for other aspects in life. Putting in effort doesn't necessarily mean you'll always get what you want either but it's best to try than be a quitter. It has nothing to do with expecting too much it's about expecting something in exchange for pretty much nothing. Actually read the whole post. I didn't come back from a hiatus to patronize anybody. I've solved my own problems, saw issues that needed to be addressed and posted about possible solutions where I saw fit. That's all there is to it. It's not my fault you didn't read the whole post and misunderstood that this was actually suppose to help people and not just make people feel bad.

I agree with you completely... though I do think you may need at least one person for emergencies...

LonelySutton said:
I agree with you completely... though I do think you may need at least one person for emergencies...

Life Alert isn't only for old people.

LonelySutton said:

Why do you always think what I'm thinking lol

Its so funny because i was actually thinking of the aspect of not having an emergency person right before i read this thread.

Scary, especially if you end up in the hospital for any reason. Nobody to bring you bottled water, nobody to bring you a chicken burger, nobody to bring you snax. Nobody to bring you your eye pod, your laptop, or your phone charger and your ear buds. Nobody to make sure your dishes are done and your garbage is put out at home. The worst for me would be not having some souce of music and earbuds. I cant deal with hospital noises like crying, vomiting and snoring.

Scarey too, what if you were wrongly arrested, or depending on who you are here... rightly arrested. Arrested period, what if you had to have somebody bail you out. Who would that be? And what if you had to be released into somebody's care, who would that be?

Health and legal situations require an emergency contact/helper/friend.
Plus, both the health care system and the legal system will treat people much better when they see they have a support system.

This might be solvable for people with money. Just pay someone to do it, but if you are poor and sick, or poor and in legal trouble you are pretty much screwed.

I think these are phobias for me lol. The idea of going to jail or hospitalization both totally terrify me.

stork_error said:
This might be solvable for people with money. Just pay someone to do it, but if you are poor and sick, or poor and in legal trouble you are pretty much screwed.I think these are phobias for me lol. The idea of going to jail or hospitalization both totally terrify me.

As usual I Stork finishes my thought.. but yes, there are emergencies that aren't suitable for Life Alert. (even that you have to pay for). With all the stupid apps and social media out there why isn't there something like this were people in the same situation can agree to help each other out. I would be willing to commit to helping someone out if they were willing to for me.

But I do agree with you that if your only choice is have someone in case of emergency and suffer trying to get someone -- it is better not to suffer and risk life alone. How many times have I thought I had a friend and then they didn't help me out.

When I was younger (and more nieve) I would make friends and assume they would do for me. I went to Philly on a job interview and actually to visit a friend. I was in a cheap hotel when the forecast changed and I got stuck in a (proclaimed) blizzard. I then got sick. Then, the hotel had no food and all the restaurants closed in the area. When my friend called I asked if she could come get me / help me out after the blizzard ended (as I had no shovel or brush) -- and one change of clothing. Nope.. that was too much for her. Too much to even change her schedule. This same person will write stuff all over her social media about "kindness".

Then I was friendly with my neighbor. She was directly across from my apartment. I was going away on vacation and I asked if she would watch my cat AND I even offered to pay her what I would pay a pet sitter. All she needed to do was come over for like 30 minutes and put some kibble in the dish for 2 days. I wanted her in case of a storm that made a pet sitter hard to get to the apartment. The answer.. no.

Unbelievable. What was the point of her at all? She, however, had started the tradition by facebooking me to find out if the parking lot was plowed or if there were spaces available but -- when I needed something --she couldn't possibly.

I have come to conclude that there are a lot of people out there who have made peace with basically doing whatever to have a ton of friends around. They walk around the world being very "faux friendly" and they end up with so many "faux friends" that eventually they will be able to use one or two of them for their needs. So they have absolutely no desire or reason to do for you (or them)

I so agree with you about dying alone. We all die alone. If you think you will die with your 2 loving children and husband crying over your body, you are wrong. When my mom was dying we kept showing up to do that and wait and wait and wait, and finally she passed when we weren't there. In a way I was glad. It probably wouldn't have been a memory that tortured me and my mom was on medication that made her out of it. She didn't even know we were there. And I didn't think she was alone. The people that worked there were all unusually kind and I am sure were there for her.

That is what makes being divorced is worse than never being married so I rather not get married or have friends. I've spent too much of my life trying to make friends, I'm not gonna spend the rest of it digging through a bunch of garbage in search of something that might not even be there.

Thank YOU!

I don't want to get married anymore. All of my married friends are suffering. All of the women who got married had this happen... their husbands go to work and come home to play video games. They don't help out with their kids... they don't do errands and when pressed they make the wife out to be a nag. Of course come 9 PM they want their sex and, when they don't get it, well, they go have an affair. When that comes out 1/2 my friends just deal with it because divorce is such a bad thing and then the other half get divorced spend TONS of money on the process and end up with the horrible situation where the kids stay with dad for 6 months of the year and then, dad gets married to someone much younger. They can't really go anyplace because of the kids. And typically don't get remarried. And they pretty much end up alone when the kids move out.

What is the point of that!? As every woman that got married 10 years ago comes to my office crying that they are so overwhelmed and miserable...just try to be supportive and am happy that I held out and refused to settle just so I could get *married.*

Sure is it possible to find a loving supportive spouse? Probably but you either have to luck out or do a ton of work and you can't really know what your going to get. For my money, I gave it a shot and now, I am not going to ring my hands that I didn't find the "perfect" guy and get the perfect life. I think far too many people are suffering right now because they felt they needed a Cinderella romantic ending.

I think there are some excellent points here. I find that with new people they are friendly while i am useful to them. Then they dont give you a second thought. No thanks. Being alone is better than being someones pawn.

Good and well written post.

In essence you're saying: Know your limits, and throw away your dreams. The unrealistic dreams anyway.

A condescending post also. But it's easy to hate yourself when you're a "loser", and that means you have to hate on other losers too.

Oldyoung said:

In essence you're saying: Know your limits, and throw away your dreams. The unrealistic dreams anyway.

A condescending post also. But it's easy to hate yourself when you're a "loser", and that means you have to hate on other losers too.

The only thing you were right about in your comment is to know your limits.

It's okay to have dreams but you shouldn't let them destroy you. One mistake that lonely people often make is that they look for other people to validate their existence. You exist and have value whether you're alone or not. Being alone/lonely doesn't make you a loser. Abandoning who you are just to appease society in order to achieve the goal of having people around you makes you a "loser."

My thread is not condescending. If anything it's blunt. I stayed up late writing this and I didn't feel like sugarcoating anything.

I'm not "hating" on anybody either. It actually has made me sad to know that people aren't enjoying their lives because they believe that the only way to obtain happiness is to be around other people so they dedicate their lives and in some cases throw themselves away just so people will like them.

The message of this thread is that true happiness comes from being content with oneself. You don't need people to be happy and if you spend your life trying to please society you won't.

While I agree with your message, I don't agree with implying that anyone is a loser. Putting it in quotes doesn't make it any better.
No one is a loser. There are just people who have figured things out and people who are still working on it. Just because they are still working on it doesn't make them losers.

*shrugs*
I long since adapted to being alone - actually I don't recall a time when I was anything but isolated. It isn't like I had a choice, at least not a real choice.
It's not the loneliness, but the reasons why I'm going to be alone for the rest of my life, and those things are never going to change. I'm also aware that there is no good reason my life has to be like this, for the sake of people who don't deserve a **** thing, and it is not something to meekly accept.
As much as I'd prefer to be an island, other people are unavoidable to a large degree. The forms I have to fill out are evidence of that, at the least.

The best thing is to throw out words like "responsibility" when it's clear there is no response but to roll over and die. People who abuse that word usually don't think about what they say or write, and if their language is sanctioned or they're drunk enough, they will keep not thinking - you know, not taking any responsibility for the consequence of their words and actions. It's funny how that works, especially on the internet.

Shio said:
Oldyoung said:

The only thing you were right about in your comment is to know your limits.

It's okay to have dreams but you shouldn't let them destroy you. One mistake that lonely people often make is that they look for other people to validate their existence. You exist and have value whether you're alone or not. Being alone/lonely doesn't make you a loser. Abandoning who you are just to appease society in order to achieve the goal of having people around you makes you a "loser."

My thread is not condescending. If anything it's blunt. I stayed up late writing this and I didn't feel like sugarcoating anything.

I'm not "hating" on anybody either. It actually has made me sad to know that people aren't enjoying their lives because they believe that the only way to obtain happiness is to be around other people so they dedicate their lives and in some cases throw themselves away just so people will like them.

The message of this thread is that true happiness comes from being content with oneself. You don't need people to be happy and if you spend your life trying to please society you won't.

Ah, alright. I understand better now. Thanks for clarifying.

Indeed many of the issues you raise in your post is similar to things I've been considering myself. But you worded it very well.

BTW, therealcallie. Shio didn't really mention losers. That was my post. Sorry for the confusion.

An interesting read as a whole. Lots of points I agree with and similar conclusions I've drawn on my own already. I don't mind the blunt tone, I'll leave the evaluation of it to others. Just because some are offended, doesn't mean they're right. And just because you managed to stir them up, doesn't mean you're right.

I don't think it has much to do with being a loner to accept this mindset, but having adapted using the rational sections of your brain first instead of the emotional ones. Then you might prefer the safety of the predictable and playing the cards you've been dealt with right instead of dreaming on and getting hurt and burned over and over again just to fulfill desires which are dependent on people which are unpredictable and beyond your control.

Shio said:
For those who were always alone or just alone and tried to reach out, got hurt but choose to reach out again...why? Why are you doing this to yourself?

A few years ago I got really into Buddhist thinking. One of my favorite books is called "Full Catastrophe living" -- highly recommend it. And maybe this is why there are Buddhist monks, but their entire way of thinking just presumes that you, alone, are perfect and all you will ever need. The entire thing about working on yourself and never looking to others. Meditation itself is all about looking inward... alone... slowing down and observing yourself. There is no judgment... just observation. So you might think to yourself.. I am fat, with a judgment attitude while Buddhist mindset encourages you to say I am fat at this particular moment in time. Because that truly is a more accurate description of yourself. No Judgment just what is. There is no need for belonging to others. There is requirement for friends. As they say, a man is an island.

Then if you just look to recent history in works of literature characters are described with having just one or two friends- some of which die early on or live crazy far away. Many characters journal... I think clearly because they don't have any friends. There are little opportunities for socialization. It is only recently that society as turned socialization and being with others into a mandate. Even 100 years ago people married for advantage and dowerys not love or companionship. But today we have presumed, probably for corporate interests, that YOU MUST have socialization or you will go mad, die early, blah blah blah. I simply don't buy it.

Shio said:

It comes across as condescending by presuming to enlighten people who have a lot more life experience. Do you think the content of your post hasn't already occurred to most people?

Our value is inherent, social acceptance doesn't define us. Okay, and you know what? For the majority of us realizing that changes very little. Friends/relationships are still desired because it's part of being human.

ardour said:
Shio said:

It comes across as condescending by presuming to enlighten people who have a lot more life experience. Do you think the content of your post hasn't already occurred to most people?

Our value is inherent, social acceptance doesn't define us. Okay, and you know what? For the majority of us realizing that doesn't change a thing. Friends/relationships are still desired because it's part of being human.

All I have to say is that I do understand that it's natural for people to want friendship/love and people want what they want but sometimes you're going to have to settle for less than what you desire.

Latest posts

Back