Hikikomori

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mimizu

Reaction score
I've been a hikikomori (japanese term, most of you probably know it) for 4 years now, I barely ever exit my house, I dropped out of school and I don't have a job. I never had any friends, I barely talked to anyone when I went to school.

I've never been kissed or hugged (yes.. i haven't even been hugged in my entire life, I am 21).

One time I asked a random girl that sat on a bench (she looked nice) if I can kiss her, she said "go away".

I can be chatty and funny (depending on your sense of humor :p) when I feel nice which isn't now.

My life is completely pointless, I have no appetite and no sex drive (so no fapping for me :p), I just sit and stare at my computer all day long, I go to 13 IRC networks, but I have only two close friends which I barely ever talk to, because they have school and work.

I have no friends in real life (hikikomori..).

Is anyone here like me? You guys should watch this anime called "Welcome to NHK".. it's funny and gives you a nice warm feeling.

I dunno how widespread is the hikikomori syndrome in western countries, it seems most people here have a job or education at least... so I am even more worthless.

I am tired of being lonely and worthless, I wish I could suicide but I am scared of going to Hell.

Hi.

invisible man said:
You should write a little short story in crushing detail about that girl on the bench.
Ehm, what kind of detail? I was having a walk through a town, saw this girl sitting on a bench in the park. She looked nice/non-hostile so I asked her if I can kiss her. Guess I was wrong. Most people only care about hurting those who they perceive as weaker than them.

I would've been shocked if she said yes
What's shocking about it... girls kiss guys all the time. It's just that if you have to ask for it randomly, she will know you are desperate and therefore say "no", just to hurt you. This way she can feel better about herself.

You're Japanese I guess?
No, if I was Japanese I would be using Japan's excellent framework of help that is made available to hikikomori, called New Start. They put all of the hiki people in a special dorm room where they have to live together and get used to being social, but without the pressure of being around "normal" people. They even go around and knock on doors where hiki people leave, this is part of a government program to pull them out of the hiki lifestyle. They also give you a "rental sister" who acts like your friend, goes to movies with you, etc..

Never heard of the term hikikomori.  I read on wikkapedia it has something to do with the rigid nature of Japanese culture.  That there is so much unhealthy shame and pressure that some young people are terrified of even leaving their parents house for a moment.  Is that it or is there a lot more to it?
I use the term because it exactly fits me.. the only two countries who even seem to be aware of the problem are UK and Japan, they share some terminology too.

NEET (not in employment, education or training) are people whose acronym probably describes them already (doesn't include pensioneers).
Hikikomori are a subclass of NEET who don't have any social contacts and spend all their time home.
A non-working alcoholic boy or girl who lives in their parents' house is also NEET, but if they have a company of friends and go out (even just once per week), they aren't hikikomori.

Hikikomori = complete total isolation.

People become hikikomori because they are too shy/scared to face society and have no friends.. so when the sole thing that was binding them to society is removed they become isolated in their house.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/School_refusal
This is the british term that describes exactly what happened to me and how I became hikikomori (which is a japanese term that describes me accurately). School was too stressful for me, I didn't have any friends, I was constantly feeling worthless and ashamed of myself, and at some point I couldn't handle it anymore and dropped out.

If I posted something like your post, which I have and got a reply, which you excitedly click to read and it says something like "quit whining, you got to do something about it, get out there," I would only walk away 10x more depressed.
Yeah that's true.. you are insightful.

Could any "god" be so petty and childish as to desire to punish a little insignificant being over their pathetic insignificant choices for eternity?
Yeah, I've thought about that the first time when I was 6... If god loves us, why are his punishments eternal torture for the tiniest misdeed? Should the punishment be at least proportional to the offence commited?

A man I once knew gave this analogy once.  

We are all bubbles on the ocean.  You start to believe you are separate. One day you pop and rejoin the ocean of consciousness or light or god or whatever.  This happens over and over again forever.
Heh, sounds like a smart man.

One question, don't take offense.

Why do you have no job and get away with it? I mean, getting a job is pretty easy, there's tons of jobs out there that aren't too good, but it would be a start.

I just don't get how you're 22 and your parents let you stay inside scott free. No offense, but it's a little weird.

I get government aid, 1800 per month. I've also received 20000 retroactively and used them all to prevent my father from going to debt prison.

mimizu, one thing, i don't think the girl was mean and stuff but yeah, Asking her if she wants a kiss is like so sudden. Maybe you can talk to her slowly and be friends with her.

Guys, I made a mistake when moderating this thread. I accidentally deleted a reply, so I'm reposting it here as a quote:

Guest said:
RE: Hikikomori

Hello Mimizu, this is the invisible man,

You should write a little short story in crushing detail about that girl on the bench. Very ballesy of you. And I think really interesting. I would've been shocked if she said yes and probably mentally messed up if she did but still the intention and idea behind it was pretty nice and cool. You're Japanese I guess?

I guessing fapping is jerking off? Well that is pointless but still in a ridiculous way fun and the epitome of a temporary satisfaction. One thing about being lonely is at least you don't have to answer to anyone and have loads of free time, might as well have a few orgasms while you’re in that state. On a side note I have this feeling that death feels like an orgasm times 100 unendingly. In the brief moment of coming, for those few seconds on top of the roller coaster riding with its inevitable fast comedown, everything is right with the world. What if there was a way to make your brain produce a mild orgasm in you all the time? What is it dopamine or serotonin? Perhaps that is enlightenment or better than enlightenment, a mild perpetual orgasm. All is right with you the world and everything and everyone. And TRULY no matter what.

Never heard of the term hikikomori. I read on wikkapedia it has something to do with the rigid nature of Japanese culture. That there is so much unhealthy shame and pressure that some young people are terrified of even leaving their parents house for a moment. Is that it or is there a lot more to it?

I have a lot more to babble about but I guess what I really want to say to you directly is,

That that sux. Your situation. If I posted something like your post, which I have and got a reply, which you excitedly click to read and it says something like "quit whining, you got to do something about it, get out there," I would only walk away 10x more depressed. It sux because I wish there as something I could do for you, invite you over, send you something, call, anything. That would be weird b/c I’m a stranger but still. I just feel it sux b/c no one really cares. If you never meet anyone ever will it be a problem for the world, no. Our population isn't hurting for more people and when we try to connect just as friends we are scared of each other and have fragmented narrow interests encouraged by our tailored technology. We are able to shut ourselves away and see only what we want to see which I think is a problem afflicting all of us. We isolate ourselves physically, emotionally, and even intellectually and mentally because we can have such esoteric narrow obsessive interests. You are lonely because of the fact you feel that way, but you are not not not worthless. There is not some predetermined everybody for somebody but you could be somebody's best thing that ever happened to them, he/she might be half way across the world speaking a different language, different age, different everything. You might not be stereotypically the dream he/she is looking (or may be) for but there could be a deep profound connection of you two feel the same way and feel you are connected in a deeper way. My awkwardly spat out point being that there are amazing people out there. I’m not interacting with any right now but I know they are there. No matter how far you go into the depths of depression loneliness pain there is going to be someone there who can make you feel honestly good and you do the same for them. One thing I’ll say, not advice, but something I do which gives me hope.

I live a fairly routine life. If I look forward into it like trying to see probabilities of things and events that might happen that I’ll enjoy the situation looks pretty bleak. But then I think, all the good things that I have in my life came to me completely unforeseen and unexpectedly. Everything that I like in the life, very few things I might add, but the ones that I do, came to me through no way I could have ever ever ever predicted. Things will guran-fuckin'-ted happen to you that you could never no matter how perceptive you think you are could predict or foresee. Life just sometimes happens to you. Maybe you’ll get a disease have to go to the hospital, meet someone there who gives you a job, at that job you meet a love of life, notice "a" love not "the" love because they don't exist. A weak scenario I know but still honeysuckle like that does happen. Pay attention to the stuff that happens to you that you know to yourself you could have never foreseen. Just to remind yourself that wild honeysuckle does happen, unexpected stuff. Like the great quote, "When it rains, it pours"

And your quote,
I've never been kissed or hugged (yes. I haven't even been hugged in my entire life, I am 21).

I’m 22 and in the same boat. Been hugged but that doesn’t mean honeysuckle.

My feeling about hell is don't worry about that honeysuckle, it doesn’t exist. Hell is just an ideological manipulative weapon used by the clergy and governments to keep power and control. It’s a man made invention. Could any "god" be so petty and childish as to desire to punish a little insignificant being over their pathetic insignificant choices for eternity? And something that it created no less. Come on. Give the great being whoever it is a little more credit. A man I once knew gave this analogy once.

We are all bubbles on the ocean. You start to believe you are separate. One day you pop and rejoin the ocean of consciousness or light or god or whatever. This happens over and over again forever.

I like your story and hope to hear from you again, thanks for sharing, you’re great

Mimi,

You are a good person.

You DESERVE hugs and kisses and love. Both platonically from friends and physical from a woman. I do think it's quite possible.

Don't play fortune teller, you have no idea what the future holds.

I wish you much love, and light.

Invisible man, I think that there may be a hell. BUT if so, it's only for people like Stalin, Hitler, and UNREPENTANT serial killers, etc. People who really reject God and reject RIGHTEOUSNESS with all their being. People who are arrogant and full of hubris.

Others say that the hell is trying to make it through this lonely, isolated, alienated life on earth! In any case, I do believe in a loving God.

Butterflies, coral reefs, amethyst, your first few orgasms, brightly colored tropical birds, flowers, the ocean, sand dunes, this all is so ridiculously beautiful. I think a loving God made this for our pleasure and to delight in His wonder. A loving God, a kind God, a forgiving God, a just God. Mercy. Grace is what---undeserved Mercy. Like a kind king who spares the life of a criminal who DESERVES to die, by all rights he should be put to death for his crimes, but the king in his goodness, mercy, and RIGHTEOUSNESS allows the criminal to live. Wipes the slate clean. You are forgiven. You don't need to EARN it. Just accept it.

Hi Mimizu. Thanks for this post. You know the internet is such an amazing thing. I have learnt so much about various social phenomena around the world. Of course, I highly respect people who teach me something new. The "hikikomori" social phenomenon is quite interesting. I would believe that there is something similar in other parts of the world as well however it's very commendable that the Japanese have identified this and are working on it. I wish other countries can do the same as well.

Mimizu, please hang in there. You know that you have lots of support here.

Mimisu, you like japanese culture??
just wondering (the avatar and the hikikomori term), i always wanted to go to Japan.
I'm very fond of anime, so i would have a lot of fun shopping for pikachu dolls there :_)
i stoped gping to school 2 years ago, because people there treated me like honeysuckle.

Sorry for posting in this dead thread but I think I'm halfway in turning into a Hikikomori. I haven't stopped going to school yet but I never leave the house really except for school. However, I mainly spend all my time watching anime to escape from the real world, and sometimes I find myself wishing that the world of anime was the real world instead. In fact I found out about Hikikomoris from anime! I've also heard about the New Start program which makes me really wish I lived in Japan! In suppose if I watch anymore anime I will start to believe I'm japanese.

Desolation said:
Sorry for posting in this dead thread but I think I'm halfway in turning into a Hikikomori. I haven't stopped going to school yet but I never leave the house really except for school. However, I mainly spend all my time watching anime to escape from the real world, and sometimes I find myself wishing that the world of anime was the real world instead. In fact I found out about Hikikomoris from anime! I've also heard about the New Start program which makes me really wish I lived in Japan! In suppose if I watch anymore anime I will start to believe I'm japanese.

^ that's me in a nutshell as well.

I would so love to visit Japan. I've been meaning to get off my lazy and go learn Japanese but the problem is my lazy ass is too comfortable... lol

I go to school every day but other than that I dont leave the house unless I need food (or other things etc). I dont talk to my housemates and I spend 99% of my time in my room, usually only leave to cook myself dinner (which I'll only do if noones around :p)
I won't talk to people unless they talk to me first (at least then you know they want to talk to you).
If I had a steady source of income that didn't require me to leave my house, I can safely say I probably never would. So basically I'm a half Hikkikomori

Edit: Where do you live where they give you 1800 a month? o_o I could live quite comfortably off that lol

Desolation, I enjoy watching Anime, but I keep it regulated so it doesn't control my life to the point where I feel like it will free me of something. And yeah I've fantasied about going to japan to.

hikikomori?

I watched a documentary on young Japanese kids once, who are in situations where they never leave their room. One kid hid under his bed for two years and I watched that documentary ******* 5 years ago!!!! ROFL.

My experience is similar but I'm at the point where I can no longer live with it anymore and pushing every social muscle to get my goals.

mimizu said:
You're Japanese I guess?
No, if I was Japanese I would be using Japan's excellent framework of help that is made available to hikikomori, called New Start. They put all of the hiki people in a special dorm room where they have to live together and get used to being social, but without the pressure of being around "normal" people. They even go around and knock on doors where hiki people leave, this is part of a government program to pull them out of the hiki lifestyle. They also give you a "rental sister" who acts like your friend, goes to movies with you, etc..

Ah, man that would be really perfect if there was some type of program like that in America, maybe if everything and everyone wasn't so far apart.. I love it when other cultures have words that describe things we can't and hikikomori is one of those words, it's great, the closest English comes to that is "hermit" and that can be misrepresented in many ways, thx for teaching me a new word and don't give up hope, I'm 19 and I've never been kissed and it looks to stay that way for a very long time, but I don't mind.

Presence said:
Desolation, I enjoy watching Anime, but I keep it regulated so it doesn't control my life to the point where I feel like it will free me of something. And yeah I've fantasied about going to japan to.

My experience is similar but I'm at the point where I can no longer live with it anymore and pushing every social muscle to get my goals.

You assume that I have a problem with watching anime but that's not the case. Its not my addiction to anime which is leading to my lack of social life, its the other way round :(. I would love to have something to do other than watch it, but sadly nothing ever happens for me.
I like your phrase "pushing every social muscle", I guess I should exercise them more :p
And like everyone else, visiting Japan is my dream. I haven't bothered learning the language though because my mum would kill me if I did.

Desolation said:
sometimes I find myself wishing that the world of anime was the real world instead.
The real world is disgusting. Everything about it is dirty and shallow.
I would go live in the anime world without any regrets. In anime there are pure feelings and real love. In the real world there isn't.

AngryLoner said:
Edit: Where do you live where they give you 1800 a month? o_o I could live quite comfortably off that lol
It's not 1800 USD. :p It's much less than that and my family is very poor. I would rather not disclose where I live, because my country has a lot of negative stereotypes about it.

AngryLoner said:
I've been meaning to get off my lazy and go learn Japanese but the problem is my lazy ass is too comfortable... lol
I'm trying to learn Japanese also, maybe we could team up. :)
I have a Japanese notebook, where I write down new words every day, and practice drawing kanji. (It's a nice pastime when you are bored. :p)

mimizu said:
AngryLoner said:
I've been meaning to get off my lazy and go learn Japanese but the problem is my lazy ass is too comfortable... lol
I'm trying to learn Japanese also, maybe we could team up. :)
I have a Japanese notebook, where I write down new words every day, and practice drawing kanji. (It's a nice pastime when you are bored. :p)
That would be awesome. I was actually just thinking this morning how much better it would be if I had someone to learn with. I haven't even started though si the problem, I was going to go check out at my school tomorrow whether or not they offer any courses for Japanese. I'll let you knwo if I ever actually start the process :p (**** lazyness)

mimizu said:
I would rather not disclose where I live, because my country has a lot of negative stereotypes about it.

Well, now I'm just going to be thinking the worst now aren't I?:p But seriously, I don't think any country has negative stereotypes really (except in the eyes of absolute idiots), some countries just have messed up governments. I wouldn't be so nervous, I don't think anyone here would judge you, even if you said you were from...Wales.:rolleyes:

Another half-hiki here, but I think the other half makes all the difference, so I won't pretend to understand what you're feeling like Mimizu. Still, I understand somewhat how the isolation can get to you at times, maybe if nothing else you should find a way to enjoy your time alone, to possess yourself.

Are there no japanese classes near you? Seems like turning up to a caligraphy group or something could be a way to break a cycle. I find it relaxes me, getting the balance of characters right allows you to indulge in a little perfectionism.

Sorry if I sound patronising, and I feel kinda silly saying this but you concern me at times.

HiddenHydey said:
I don't think anyone here would judge you, even if you said you were from...Wales.
No, it's much worse that even Wales. :p

Another half-hiki here, but I think the other half makes all the difference, so I won't pretend to understand what you're feeling like Mimizu.
Thank you for that. :)

Are there no japanese classes near you?
Not to my knowledge, and if there are, they would cost a lot of money, but I am poor. :(

Sorry if I sound patronising, and I feel kinda silly saying this but you concern me at times.
Ah... no. Not patronising at all. :) So do you study japanese also? (since you said it relaxes you)

Latest posts

Back