Hotline Miami

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheSolitaryMan

Reaction score
Anyone else played this?

It's an indie top-down shooter/melee-er/strategy/stealth game set in a nightmarish version of Miami, 1989.

I thought it looked rubbish from the promo material (guys wearing chicken masks?!), but then I looked at the reviews and they were all excellent, so I picked it up to see what it was like.

Each "mission" you start at your apartment and get a cryptic phone message from someone ordering you to a hit location. Then you go to your car, arrive there, don a rubber animal mask...and brutally slaughter all the hostiles (usually gangsters) in the building using a wide variety of weapons and tactics.

The gameplay's really smooth, but also disturbingly violent - at first this seems like a cheap gore gimmick, but as the game goes on the story itself starts to comment more and more on the morality of the hideous things you're doing.

Between these assignments various things happen - mundane trips to the shops, for example, where you speak to the same unusually friendly storekeeper in every single one. In another mission you meet a female character who becomes central to your character's life.

As the game goes on these events get more and more surreal, with your character suffering severe mental dissociation from the acts he commits. Eventually you find yourself trying to unravel exactly why it's all happening, and a few of the story's twists really caught me by surprise.

Overall I'd highly recommend it as an indie game, if you want to try something new.

Definitely not for the feint of heart though, it's a very dark game indeed that makes you ask yourself some interesting questions about getting enjoyment from violence in videogames.

Latest posts

Back