How do I date a co-worker?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

African_weasel

Reaction score
Hello people. So there this blonde at my hopefully soon to be work place. She seems to give me a comforting motherly vibe because of all the stuff I went through in recent months and I HAVE to be intimate with someone for it to work. Not to mention that she would be the second girlfriend if it ever got to that point. I talked to her while I waited for the person to do the interview with me. She is also tall too which I like. I even looked up their sexual harassment policies to see if it was okay to possibly ask her out. We both like the guitar and have read the bible to some degree. However, there something telling I should not attempt it based of the fact that I'm going against my work place values.

Dating someone in the workplace has a high probability of getting someone fired or killing a career if you cannot keep your personal life out of the workplace - i have seen happen many times before.

African_weasel said:
... So there this blonde at my hopefully soon to be work place ... Not to mention that she would be the second girlfriend if it ever got to that point. I talked to her while I waited for the person to do the interview with me. She is also tall too which I like. I even looked up their sexual harassment policies to see if it was okay to possibly ask her out ... However, there something telling I should not attempt it based of the fact that I'm going against my work place values.

African_weasel said:
Hello people. So there this blonde at my hopefully soon to be work place. She seems to give me a comforting motherly vibe because of all the stuff I went through in recent months and I HAVE to be intimate with someone for it to work. Not to mention that she would be the second girlfriend if it ever got to that point. I talked to her while I waited for the person to do the interview with me. She is also tall too which I like. I even looked up their sexual harassment policies to see if it was okay to possibly ask her out. We both like the guitar and have read the bible to some degree. However, there something telling I should not attempt it based of the fact that I'm going against my work place values.

dating a co worker is okay for some people. Loads of people at my work have got together. One couple even had kids and live together now. I once asked this woman out and of course since it was me, I become the sex pest of the shop and got into a lot of trouble. That was years ago and I have learned my lesson.

I say 'go for it' but expect trouble if she says 'no'

Well, speaking as someone who has been involved in this.

I knew this girl a few years back. I had a crush on her, but was too shy to ask her out. Another coworker did, and they began dating, which led to me being jealous at him.

There was another coworker who had a crush on the guy who was dating this girl, but she wasn't physically attractive (he told her so, the guy was kind of a jerk.) So she was jealous of the girl.

This led to a lot of coworker tension and drama, until they broke it up and the guy got fired. And even after that, it was extremely hard being in the same room with the girl who had dated the guy, because it led to bad blood between me and the girl who wanted to date the guy and her.

LeaningIntoTheMuse said:
Well, speaking as someone who has been involved in this.

I knew this girl a few years back. I had a crush on her, but was too shy to ask her out. Another coworker did, and they began dating, which led to me being jealous at him.

There was another coworker who had a crush on the guy who was dating this girl, but she wasn't physically attractive (he told her so, the guy was kind of a jerk.) So she was jealous of the girl.

This led to a lot of coworker tension and drama, until they broke it up and the guy got fired. And even after that, it was extremely hard being in the same room with the girl who had dated the guy, because it led to bad blood between me and the girl who wanted to date the guy and her.

My workplace as always been 80% women 20% men. There is always something going on. Somebody fancies somebody. If I like somebody then I am at best the shy loser and at worst a stalker. For everybody else, they can do what they want !

I work at a place where nepotism is high, we have whole families here. I met my husband at work, and we are now separated. Luckily, he works in a different department, so we don't have to see each other. But everyone knows, and it stinks. I would never date someone I work with ever again, but that is my opinion.
Two weeks ago, two people here who were engaged actually got into an argument at work, broke off the engagement and ended up having a screaming match outside. It's never pleasant : )

Never been done it myself, but seen both sides happen, just have a good think first.

Duff both your posts made me go awww :). I know the kind of people you work with :p

GraceBlossom said:
Never been done it myself, but seen both sides happen, just have a good think first.

Duff both your posts made me go awww :). I know the kind of people you work with :p

the stories I could write on here about what goes on in my workplace.

This one happened over 10 years ago. It was a quiet Sunday morning and the (married) manager was on with this female supervisor and this rather innocent and quiet young woman. Anyway the Manager gives the young woman this really boring and tedious job. She has no idea why. But it's going to take ages. So she starts doing it while the Manager goes back into his office with the supervisor. A few minutes pass and this customer comes in and wants a word with the manager. The young woman walks into the warehouse and goes to knock on the door of the managers office. She stops because she hears 'noises' coming from the office. And well you can guess the rest lol

It was confirmed by the supervisor what was going on a few weeks later. (She told some of her friends !)

The young woman said she thought the manager and supervisor were more embarrassed than her.

I know it's laughable but quite disgusting as well !

Oh my! The things people get up to, and where!

I have worked in a couple of places like that, but once place...honestly in this large office no work was hardly done, for all the gossiping and people disappearing.

You can imagine the Christmas parties lol! At one which was held at a local football stadium, the couple in question where in a lift and in opened straight into the function room :p

GraceBlossom said:

I have worked in a couple of places like that, but once place...honestly in this large office no work was hardly done, for all the gossiping and people disappearing.

You can imagine the Christmas parties lol! At one which was held at a local football stadium, the couple in question where in a lift and in opened straight into the function room :p

lol :)

Oh my god !

duff said:
GraceBlossom said:

lol :)

Oh my god !

sounds like high school

Where I work there are pretty strict rules about that. If you ask out or even compliment a female employee in sexual way they can file a complaint about you and you could easily be fired.

I don't know. I would just try to get to know her and hold off on anything more than being friends. You could always pursue that later.

One of the happiest couples I knew were both janitors at my old building and they met at work and were even on the same shift.

Also the guy was really really fat and kind of dorky looking with big glasses and the lady was crazy hot, she looked just like Jennifer Lopez.

Why the hell not. What if this person is the one you end up marrying, your going to let neurotic attitudes around the supposed sanctity of a workplace get in the way?
What are we petty minded children here, some of us are mature enough to not let personal feelings (like with an ex) affect how we do our jobs. It sounds like people here are parroting management policy, and I think that's sad.

One of my former professors met his wife at an IT job where they were both working. He is now married and with kids.

It can happen.

Yeah it really depends on the job and the work place. For me being on the night shift and being the creepy janitor at work doesn't leave much chance for romance.

I just read "I Suck At Girls" by Justin Halpern recently. Apparently working at a restaurant leads to getting laid eventually no matter how you look. Especially at "Hooters". Wash dishes there long enough and you are bound to have sex with a Hooters girl.

Latest posts

Back