How do you cope with your loneliness

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
perfanoff said:
xninjaguyx said:
I used to go to a nearby park with a lake, or I'd go to the gym when I don't feel like playing any games. None of that stuff seems to help anymore tho... My heart just feels too heavy. I'm trying to find a new hobby but have no clue what to do. All I really want to do now is just drink the day away at a local bar.

One of the best ways to forget your problems and it might get you fit, too.

I recommend it. Or even push-ups or something.

I second this.

I used to be alone a lot lately as well. I work(ed) in a foreign country, pretty far from home. Also my girlfriend left me a few months ago, after a very, very long time. I kind of lost interest in everything, and I became really depressed.

One day I decided that it can't go on like this anymore, all my feelings and loneliness is just the work of way my brain. You can change your life in a single second if you really want. Even if your lazy brain tries to sink back into depression, fight it. I started to talk to people, all my collegues who I ignored before. I actively tried to be a "better" man, and, how to put it, be funny and positive. I had to realize that many people are happy to respond, and it's very satisfying.

Also, I found meditation again, and it was a huge help. You don't need to be a buddhist to meditate, but it can have a great impact on your life and the way you see things.

Hisilarn said:
I used to be alone a lot lately as well. I work(ed) in a foreign country, pretty far from home. Also my girlfriend left me a few months ago, after a very, very long time. I kind of lost interest in everything, and I became really depressed.

One day I decided that it can't go on like this anymore, all my feelings and loneliness is just the work of way my brain. You can change your life in a single second if you really want. Even if your lazy brain tries to sink back into depression, fight it. I started to talk to people, all my collegues who I ignored before. I actively tried to be a "better" man, and, how to put it, be funny and positive. I had to realize that many people are happy to respond, and it's very satisfying.

Wow... that sounds like the journey I was on.

I remember when I used to go to my friends band at gigs, but when I was sat on my own and I was around people I would feel jealous/envious of the attention that they would receive. When I'm at home however I try to cope with my loneliness by keeping myself preoccupied/distracted so that negative thoughts do not enter my mind, but even when I am preoccupied they still sometimes force their way in. I try to read, watch movies, play video games and I go out (rarely) in an effort to make myself feel better (I also help other like members of my family).

That is funny Hisilarn because I have been thinking about Meditation recently. I think that I may take it up.

Hearmenow2012 said:
I remember when I used to go to my friends band at gigs, but when I was sat on my own and I was around people I would feel jealous/envious of the attention that they would receive. When I'm at home however I try to cope with my loneliness by keeping myself preoccupied/distracted so that negative thoughts do not enter my mind, but even when I am preoccupied they still sometimes force their way in. I try to read, watch movies, play video games and I go out (rarely) in an effort to make myself feel better (I also help other like members of my family).

That is funny Hisilarn because I have been thinking about Meditation recently. I think that I may take it up.

Ooh, a groupie?

xninjaguyx said:
Hearmenow2012 said:

Ooh, a groupie?

No, I'm a guy. I go to see them to be supportive plus it is good to get out of the house. I feel like I should show my face at their gigs more often though.

Coming here helps. It's been my experience that as I worked hard on my self-confidence and respect, my courage increased to the level that allows me to approach others in search of a friend or just friendly conversation. If you don't respect yourself, people will pick up on that quickly and sometimes disrespect you for it.

My general reaction would be to reach out to people. However, my loneliness is almost always triggered by a (percieved) neglection from someone who's close to me. It then makes it harder to fix it by reaching out, since that person would be the only one who could fix it, since he/she is most likely to be the only one close enough to me to get through.

I then try to either work stuff out with said person, or try to remove that person from the spot where he/she is the closest to me, and move on.

LoneKiller said:
If you don't respect yourself, people will pick up on that quickly and sometimes disrespect you for it.

So true!
I can't emphasize this enough!

Rosebolt said:
My general reaction would be to reach out to people. However, my loneliness is almost always triggered by a (percieved) neglection from someone who's close to me. It then makes it harder to fix it by reaching out, since that person would be the only one who could fix it, since he/she is most likely to be the only one close enough to me to get through.

I then try to either work stuff out with said person, or try to remove that person from the spot where he/she is the closest to me, and move on.

This gets to me most as well, and it's hard to let it go...

In general usual watching a show with a great story behind it works well. If it gets really bad, definitely a lot of comedy. I love laughing. For some reason also watching/reading tragic stories helps sometimes, as strange and twisted as that may sound.

I like to be alone. I can be alone without feeling lonely. But I'm human... with feelings... And sometimes I would love to have even one real life friend. Just ONE. But about the topic, I usually just watch some Korean drama, movies or listening music or photographing (soon, with the new camera!).

Listening to some rock while playing a video game and munching on a snack is the easiest way for me to forget my problems.

xninjaguyx said:
lonelyfairy said:
I like to be alone. I can be alone without feeling lonely. But I'm human... with feelings... And sometimes I would love to have even one real life friend. Just ONE. But about the topic, I usually just watch some Korean drama, movies or listening music or photographing (soon, with the new camera!).

Anytime you need a friend, send me a pm.
Not exactly a real life friend, but I am almost life-like :).

Thank you, I will remember that. :)

When the lonelyness becomes to much i read books, watch clips on youtube, tv series, play some mmo's, go outside for abit, nip off to the local bar for a drink. Or just put Enya on lean back and fly away.

I go and surround myself with people. Get myself into a bunch of activities so I'll be so caught up I won't feel lonely or empty. That is until I come home at night & lay there tossing and turning

I cope normally doing one of 2 things.

1. Listen to music and cry ~ sad/emo as it sounds to some i find it a good outlet sometimes just to stick some music on and have a good cry to let out my anger and frustration.

2. I talk to my online friends. Yes most i have i've never met in real life but without their help advise ears to listen and mouths to offer advise i would feel completely lost. I enjoy speaking with people via Skype or old WoW friends on TS and this can really help on a lonely night to not feel quite as alone.

That just me anyway

P.S Oh forgot reading one thing i also love to do is just to leave the 'real' world behind and get lost in a good book.

Latest posts

Back