How do you deal with loneliness?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NeeNeeBird

Reaction score
Hi all,

So I'm sure many a thread has been posted about a similar topic. After all, we are in a forum filled with people that feel lonely.

Basically what I wanted to know was each individuals coping strategies for loneliness.

My question in, when you're feeling lonely, what do you do to pull yourself out of the bottomless pit you seem to find yourself in?

Hi NeeNee!

I use the constant distraction method myself. Make sure that I have no time to just sit and think about my situation. Which is why you see that I spend a lot of time in the chat room. :D

Otherwise filling the rest of my time with video games, books, trying to learn the keyboard and work can keep the mind away from focusing on it. I'll stay up really late so that way I'm dead tired once I hit the bed, which prevents me from having a lot of laying awake alone with my thoughts time.

Also there's this cute Australian girl that's shown up recently. She's proven to be very interesting! :shy:

Hi neenee, ....dealing with loneliness stategies.....i think everybody has thier own methods, staying busy is what works for me, whether it be actual work, some sports, bangin on my guitar....I just have to stay occupied. When it's down time this forum helps a lot, it's surprising how many other lonely people that are here, and how interesting all these people actually are....hmmmmm, maybe there's something to that. But i have to agree with Limlim......"who's this very interesting Aussie girl that has caught all of our (guys especially) attention".

It's great chattin with you neenee.....keep posting.

I recently adopted two kittens. Since I live by myself, it can become especially lonely so I thought some pets would be best. Besides that, I try to keep busy by focusing on self improvement. Getting in some exercise, playing guitar, reading, writing, playing video games, stuff like that.

getting out of myself helps, focusing on others, even as stupid as just posting here, hopefully something I say is one small candle in the darkness

In this case I would like to share my views to you because It has been my habit dealing with loneliness. My loneliness leads me to reading. I love reading. Specially news papers article and technology are my favourite subjects for dealing with my leisure.

half the time i dont really deal with it too well. it keeps me up at night. but when im not working i play video games and that manages to keep my mind off it most of the time.

I tend to wander around the malls and look at stuff if I don't feel like going home yet. I have hobbies I try to force myself to do just to focus my mind on something else. I'll try to chat with my brother on yim but he is consumed by his online games or I'll hit up some of the many forums I'm on to see if there is anything interesting. If I don't have enough drive though I just sit there wallowing in my own loneliness fantasizing on how it would be if my life was different, if I had a wife and kids like all my friends. Thankfully it doesn't keep me up at night, I just eventually go to bed after my tv shows, get out my DS and play my game for a bit then ZONK I'm out like a light until my alarm rudely wakes me up.

I tend to try to distract myself from it if at all possible, reading, watching tv, exercising anything really. Although that does not always work.
I was always pretty solitary my whole life so its more normal for me to be on my own than around people, but its still not easy only having your own thoughts to keep you company.

I tend to spend time surfing the net, watching video clip, research some weird topic I come across. I also write poems loneliness can sometimes create quite a few intresting poems. I use to eat a lot when I feel lonely, but I'm seriously trying to loose weight so no more eating my lonelinss away.

dealing with lonelyness. wow everyone has listed alot of good stratagies here.

Well, I talk to God and then I go online, not always in that order. Otherwise, I work in the theatre. Clean my house. Listen to books on tape, watch tv at night only after rehearsals, try to make friends but it just doesn't seem to stick. I've been in this town for almost 6 years and have not one real friend here. Not one. It's very disturbing because before we moved here I had a life with friends and interesting stuff to do and was not lonely all that often. I've never disliked a place that I've lived except for here. It's pretty but very lonely. It's a very closed society. My husband and I moved here for his work. He is content because he is fulfilled at his job where he spends the majority of his life. It's been hard mostly for me, and continues to be so. I had been really trying to reach out and get involved but nobody seemed to care one way or the other and so I stopped trying. Amazingly, God has kept me sane and pretty normal through this time in the wasteland.

Latest posts

Back