How do you deal with stress from loneliness?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tend to drink a bottle of wine and listen to some blues or progjazz or something that gets my mind into a relaxed/blue place :cool:

thankfully i keep that to about 1 night a week cause i dont want to drink too much. sometimes i go to those online date sites and fantasize about about starting an account and meeting girls at cafes. then imagining them looking really bored or disgusted with me right before they toss their coffee at me and storm away :D

Thumbs said:
I tend to drink a bottle of wine and listen to some blues or progjazz or something that gets my mind into a relaxed/blue place :cool:

thankfully i keep that to about 1 night a week cause i dont want to drink too much. sometimes i go to those online date sites and fantasize about about starting an account and meeting girls at cafes. then imagining them looking really bored or disgusted with me right before they toss their coffee at me and storm away :D

hah, That's some fantasy you have there. I try to keep my fantasies to good things. You know things that don't involve pain lol..

I have looked at the dating sights. Don't know why but they just don't seem me. It should seem me as am single. So I have no reason why they should not be for me.

I normally listen and dance to music. Come here :rolleyes: Play a card game or something. And sometimes I just seat in a dark room and fantasize about a completely different life. Am I weird? IDK

I do loads of sports and exercise. It get`s rid of pent up anger and makes me tired. I can then sleep. I`ve already been to the gym, and i`m going kickboxing later!

Self-inflicted sexual harassment. And movies, lots and lots of movies.

Jokes aside, I'm going through a phase of "self improvement", which I'll hopefully have the strength to continue for a while. I'm reading a lot of self-help books, and about to start learning a new language. I'm also going to start putting a lot more effort into my schoolwork. Hopefully I can get my grades up.

Sleep, yoga, video games, and art used to be one of the things I'd do but now it stresses me out even more.

I usually try and distract myself somehow- computer games, browsing random sites on the web, reading. I often find I can't sleep when I'm really stressed out and feeling lonely, so I sit up all night in front of the computer, watching movies or youtubing (that site has carried me through many a sleepless night...). I've tried the alcohol route, but after a short bit of feeling good / feeling nothing I end up crashing and have a massive downer, so I try not to drink whenever possible, especially when I'm feeling crap/ stressed out. I also play guitar, because it means I have to concentrate on something, so it takes my mind off whatever it was I was stressed about.

I look in the mirror a lot and tell myself im attractive and i'll find someone one day... or I watch dvds, I eat a lot, cook a lot, countdown the days until my next birthday, countdown the days until the end of the month, surf the internet.

I make an effort to exercise for at least thirty minutes and eat well. Particularly six small meals (1 cup of veggies or rice plus 1 cup of any kind of meat) with three hours spaced apart between each meal. It helps so much with keeping yourself from getting into the habit of eating junk foods since you'd be satiated most of the time. That... and do any kind of volunteer work for charity to to get in touch with the community. Good practice on the social skills too. Exercise isn't hard to practice either... just mix a bunch of your favorite songs and jog/do whatever until the soundtrack repeats back to the first song.

I agree with many of the responses that say EXERCISE. When you're moving your body and working your body, your mind shifts away from thinking. The lonely thoughts wash away when your body is working like a machine. When you rest, the lonely feelings don't flood back in immediately because you've released endorphins and you feel pretty good.

MUSIC is another amazing thing. Not sad songs but upbeat and inspirational music. I really like Moby...his music has lots of positive energy. You can disappear in music and take a break from your problems.

EAT WELL. Healthy, whole foods will make your body and mood feel better than junk food will...that stuff just drags you down and slows your metabolism.

SMILE. Tony Robbins says you can't feel depressed if you're smiling.

In some circumstanses, isn't there a risk joanmcf that these measures, whilst undeniably productive in many areas, run the risk of stirring a Jekkel and Hyde type effect?
What I mean is you may be able to G yourself up with the methods described above but ultimately, if the root cause of the loneliness still remains, then the stress and melancholy will almost certainly return to haunt the subject. Would this not lead to emotional inconsistency and add yet another dimension to the stress?

ughh sorry for the long awaited reply you guys and girls i was busy working. I finally got a job and im in the last stages of a partnership in a buisness so im finally getting somewhere. Ive made some good freinds where i moved to that will come in handy for my buisness ventures. But honestly....as things get good one thing that keeps lackin is love....i am for sure thinknign im destined for a lonely life...but ill post on that later. ANyways thanks for the mature replys....good bunch u r....apreciated. I jus started wiriting hip hop and doin beats part time so theres a new way to avoid the pain of it. Ttyl

I'm glad to hear that you're doing well, Capo. You're a good lad. You deserve this, and I am sure love will find you someday soon :) Just always have faith in yourself.

As for me, lately I have just been watching a lot of movies and listening to music to take my mind off things, and to construct new worlds in my mind where I can just relax and do whatever I want :)

Lisen to music, Drink to forget about your loneliness, play some computer games because they get your attention on something else, sadly enought i tried cutting the pain out off myself too, only works for a short period i can tell you, other then you guys, i cant sleep when i feel honeysuckle.

TheCapo said:
SO what do you do to deal with the pain?

First, get away from the computer; 2nd, get out of the house.
Look up groups (support, activities, anything of interest) and attend.

It's very hard to take the first steps, but you have to. It's easier once you gain momentum and meet interesting people.

Fight it. Fight the pain with good . Fight the darkness with the light. The key word here is a simple one, DO! Think less, do more. Take a lesson from the Wizard of Oz. On their journey to see the Wizard to get the things they needed, the Lion shows courage, the Scarecrow brains, the Tin Man heart. By the time they meet the Wizard, who is a just a guy behind a curtain, he knows they earned these things by DOING THEM. So if you feel down, DO things that make you feel up. Force yourself. Resist the downard spiral. I disconnected TV three years ago, it's all negative. Who needs it. And if music is depressing, find some that isn't and makes you feel good. If you work out, there are positive endorphins that will kick in whether you think or not that will naturally make you feel better. I'd gone to the gym on days when I was so knotted up mentally I could barely get out of the car. So I'd make a deal with myself to hold off thinking about anything until after the workout, and I always felt better because I did something positive that affected me physically for the good. There's a time to indulge our feelings and thoughts and a time to tell them to shut the hell up and force them into a better direction. You can do this!

Depends on the cicumstances. my way to deal with honeysuckle ranges to plugging in a guitar, sleeping a whole day, or just cry for a bit.

Latest posts

Back