how do you explain to someone your social anxiety?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PlasticSpork said:
I don't explain it. Ever. If someone ever asked me why I seemed so quiet or nervous around people, I would just shrug and say "I dunno. I think I'm just shy, I guess."
I don't think anyone would understand my SA; even the people who are supposedly 'closest' to me.

I can completely relate to what you said. I rarely tell people and I've even tried to tell my parents and sister (who I'm very close with) and they think I'm just shy... they don't think I have any type of SA. I know I do and I think deep down they know as well but no one seems to want to admit it. My other problem is when I go out and drink I really open up. I don't drink very often but when I do I am much more social and its very frustrating trying to explain the difference in my personality when I'm not socially drinking.

sunshinemisa said:
I realized that most of my high anxiety growing up was social anxiety. Part of this was my mom telling how stupid I was and how bad my grades were(they weren't bad, high 80's low 90's) and always comparing me to her friend's kids. I realize now that all the times that I missed school due to headaches or stomaches were really social anxiety. I was so worried about how stupid I was and what everyone was thinking all the time. I'm honestly surprized that I didn't have ulcers...lol!

Now, I think the social anxiety is not as bad as before ( I really don't care what other people are thinking....almost never.....still working on it) but, I still have a hard time just being myself that I end up part wall flower part human being. This is with people I'm trying to re-connect with not with new people.

Meeting new people I'm okay with, if it turns into friendship, great. If not it's their loss.

How do you explain or do you explain about social anxiety?

I agree, with people who know you as being socially awkward, it's difficult, but with new people you can re-invent yourself. Positive thinking is what's needed. :)

I suppose the big thing is not to make too much of the anxiety (I know that seems impossible sometimes) but if you focus on the anxiety, then you will anxious.

I never talked about my social issues/awkwardness/loneliness to anyone IRL. Not even my own family... But one day it all built up when I was invited out to go drink with a few friends and ended up spilling the beans about my flaws. Never, have I cried in front of my friends before. Never, have I mentioned to anyone that I wanted to hurt myself until then . They kept me at ease until I fell asleep. The next day when I woke up I thought i'd never see those friends again, but they were still there for me. They were concerned. They told me that it looked like I was always hiding something... So I went ahead and opened up. Now I'm closer friends with them, and now they too talk to me about their deepest personal issues...

The biggest fear was me hiding my problems. I never expected such a scene to happen that night, but it was a HUGE load off my chest. Going back on what others have said; you will know who your real friends are if you do decided to open up. If you're there for your friends then they should be there for you.

Marik_757 said:
I never talked about my social issues/awkwardness/loneliness to anyone IRL. Not even my own family... But one day it all built up when I was invited out to go drink with a few friends and ended up spilling the beans about my flaws. Never, have I cried in front of my friends before. Never, have I mentioned to anyone that I wanted to hurt myself until then . They kept me at ease until I fell asleep. The next day when I woke up I thought i'd never see those friends again, but they were still there for me. They were concerned. They told me that it looked like I was always hiding something... So I went ahead and opened up. Now I'm closer friends with them, and now they too talk to me about their deepest personal issues...

The biggest fear was me hiding my problems. I never expected such a scene to happen that night, but it was a HUGE load off my chest. Going back on what others have said; you will know who your real friends are if you do decided to open up. If you're there for your friends then they should be there for you.
Consider yourself lucky to have great friends. I'm getting close to having a good circle of friends.

I can't say ive ever tried to explain my social anxiety to anyone but my mother and father.

i dont have many close friends in person so its difficult to talk to the ones i have.

i am waiting for an opportunity to speak to my "friend" about it at work, but im not too sure how they'll even react so im somewhat embarassed/scared.

Latest posts

Back