How do you fall asleep?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fest

Reaction score
I'll preface this by noting that I'm a night-owl by nature but even when it comes time to rest my head I often can't let myself drift off. The process of falling asleep takes upwards an hour or more and my mind just won't stop racing.

So I'm curious, what are everyone's tricks and secrets to a good night's sleep?

I've used audiobooks in the past to focus my mind intently on one, single thing, but it may or may not work for you.

I start by turning out the lights in my room, dimming my electronic screens and getting my pajamas on. First, the overhead light or the light on the far side of my bed (and in other parts of my room gets turned off), then the light beside my bed....

Then, it's just my electronics which I dim further until...finally....I fall asleep.

usualy crying a lot helps :p
listening to some soft music to relax helps me as well

I find if I lie right on the very edge of the bed-I soon drop off

:p

In all seriousness often I listen to dub, sometimes I watch some comedy that I've seen many times before.

Basically anything that can stop me thinking how much I miss feeling breath on my neck as I drift off.

I need white noise to be able to sleep, normally having the fan on does the trick perfectly

It took me long enough to get rid of my fear of the dark that always kept me from sleeping. Nowadays it doesn't even matter if it's dark or bright. There's a light post right in front of my window and it doesn't bother me at all. Street sounds don't matter anymore either.

My mind goes blank as soon as I enter my bed and cover myself with the sheets. I literally switch to 'sleeping mode'. Then it takes me about 5-10 minutes and I'm gone. And I won't wake up until morning - only when I try to sleep more than 8 hours.

I sleep better when it's cold. I wrap myself in my quilt and try and get comfortable.
I don't sleep great though.

I like ringwood's answer hehe..

Seriously am I the only one who has to use chemicals? I suffer from monkey brain never stops. It is exhausting sooooo I take Clonazepam and Trazodone.. before bed and 45 mins later out like a light..

Arachne said:
I like ringwood's answer hehe..

Seriously am I the only one who has to use chemicals? I suffer from monkey brain never stops. It is exhausting sooooo I take Clonazepam and Trazodone.. before bed and 45 mins later out like a light..

*raises hand* Chemicals here. I've used Ambien for about 8 years. Once in a while I have to switch to something else for a couple of weeks because my body builds a tolerance for it. My brain doesn't turn off either - you have my deepest sympathies, lol. :p

Always with the TV on. It has to be chilly in the house too.
If I wake up at night, I never, ever sneak a look at the clock next to my bed because then my mind starts racing!

-Teresa

SofiasMami said:
Always with the TV on. It has to be chilly in the house too.
If I wake up at night, I never, ever sneak a look at the clock next to my bed because then my mind starts racing!

-Teresa

And I thought I was the only one...one glance at the stupid clock and I cannot get back to sleep, as I tell myself I have another hour or so of sleep before the alarm goes off. Then the mind starts wandering about all kinds of honeysuckle :(

Alma lost her spoon said:
Well apparently I wake up in the middle of the night & go in the chatroom hah....

Apparently? is there some kind of sleepwalking going on here where you aren't fully consious of what you're doing? :p

Am I missing your point?

Fest said:
So I'm curious, what are everyone's tricks and secrets to a good night's sleep?

Well, I wouldn't classify this as a 'trick', but consistency has always worked for me. I pretty much go to bed/get up at the same time(s) every night/day, limit caffeine and stay hydrated with plenty of water.

Hope that helps.

Latest posts

Back