How I feel. I'm not expecting answers or advice. I just wanted to expose my thoughts.

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DJ ML

Reaction score
Right now, I feel like a failure- in everything. No, in fact, I AM a failure. It’s no suspicion or insecurity, despite what you may think; it’s a reality. A reality I feel many of us share, but unlike others, I have a hard time hiding or simply suppressing. Maybe I’m depressed? Maybe I care too much? Maybe I’m stupid? Maybe I’m being too hard on myself or making it overly complicated? Maybe I just think too much? Maybe I’ve bought into thinking that I have to be “like everyone else” (or at least like the front which they portray…) to be “accepted”??? Who knows??? But even the standard, typical, necessary things people should be able to do, or at least have learned to do by the time they’ve reached an age such as mine – 18 – I cannot do or simply fresia up at. I feel like something, no, EVERYTHING, is wrong with me: I can’t do a single thing right.

Example: As opposed to my peers who only spend about 3 hours on essays, when I write them, I generally spend close to anywhere from 10 to 30 excessive hours writing, editing, and perfecting them; only to receive a low grade. My detail-oriented nature and persona, like its effect in/ on everything else I do or think about, takes over and distracts me with all the minor, less important bullshit; and in turn, turns into a paper filled with superficialities and irrelevant details that hardly even contribute to the overall “main-idea”. Before tests, I spend equally as much time studying, and yield much the same result. I feel like I’m an overly slow learner, am stupid, and incapable of learning or retaining anything.

For the very life and amount of value and time I put towards doing it, I cannot find a girlfriend or a one-night stand- ever (except when I’m very, very drunk). I cannot tell when girls are noticing me, when they’re flirting with me, when they like me, when they don’t like me, when they want me to make a “move”, what they think about me, or anything else possibly in between. I cannot flirt whatsoever. I am seen as a friend by every woman in my life. Many a time, without even saying a word, passing them a glance, or anything else, I am automatically seen as intimidating, creepy, or odd. For Christ’s sake, just the other night when walking back from a party to my dorm with my friend and his friends from out of town, as he asked one of the girls for her phone number and I stood there, waiting to go inside, she sent me a very mean glance and then whispered her number into his ear, fearing that I would hear it (and then stalk her, I presume she thought [even though she was ugly as honeysuckle]). I hadn’t said hardly more than two words to her. I feel like I’m a good looking guy, but that something about me is just a total, complete turn- off; even when I quietly keep to myself. It doesn’t matter if I throw myself out there by being funny, outgoing, and happy, or if I keep to myself- it’s the same every time. I feel like I am different than other men, but in a bad way, and that I am intimidating, creepy, “needy”, and unconfident. I fear that I am unlovable, and feel like all this bullshit I’ve listed off so far is mere proof of that fear.

I am a DJ, and have a couple friends who are DJ’s too, and perform with me at parties around my college. When people come up to speak to us or request a song, generally, I’m ignored. It’s the same case in numerous other instances, situations, and aspects of my life, too: I am ignored. I can make people laugh easily, it seems, but have a hard time making friends, or keeping them (I know the “make people laugh” part probably threw you off, but this is a very odd, complicated predicament I’m in, trust me…). I’m treated badly and made fun of behind my back by the ones who, for whatever reason, do stick around: Being ditched is a common occurrence, too. I used to be overly open with my thoughts, opinions, ideas, and insecurities: I was overly-“open”, actually. But now, I am a completely closed book. I’ve been hurt too many times to really interject a single thing about myself in a conversation; especially when talking to girls. I feel like I am a loser, a downer, a weirdo, a doormat, and expendable. I feel like I’m a pussy, aren’t, and will never be, a man. I am sick of throwing myself out there, being, in the moment, a great, funny, nice guy, and then getting jack honeysuckle in return. I feel hopeless and lost.

I am commonly viewed as the one who’s “easy to pick on”; though not because I get upset and show some smidget of a reaction (I quit doing this, like telling people things about myself [this thread is an exception, though], years ago), but because it’s, well, EASY. I am a virgin, I am very gullible, I never get girls, I am seen spending ridiculous amounts of time on school work (which yield bad grades in return), am skinny, and countless, numerous other things. I suppose it gives people a lot to point out whenever they want to “tease” me?? I have pretty much quit joking with those who are remotely close to me or know anything about me, because I am sick of getting sarcastic, snide “jokes” in return about how I’m a virgin, stupid, etc. In my opinion, I don’t feel like losing your virginity to some total, slutty stranger or being a seemingly “confident” (yet, actual, genuine *******) to the people around you, is some sort of “right of passage” to be “accepted”??? But, apparently, it is, and it’s a shame it’s like that. I feel like I’m an easy target, a loser, and seen as “lesser” by those around me. Call me insecure, call me unconfident, say as you please; but this is a REAL problem which I face, and a problem which I am slowly losing initiative and willingness to solve.

There is so, so, so much more: You honestly have no idea. But in all, I feel like a total failure in every aspect of my life. I regret to say it, but I feel as though I am a waste of life. I’m not suicidal whatsoever, don’t read into this wrongly, but I recognize that there is a problem, and for the life of me, I haven’t a clue how to solve it. I’m slowly losing hope. I just want to make genuine friends, meet a nice, comfortable, calm girl, and feel like I’m not some idiot who’s working towards a desultory goal which will never be met. I just want to be happy. As much as I hate the idea, I just want to be like everyone else. I don’t want to be different. I want to be “him”.

you really don't want any comments. please please please

ok i will say something anyway.
first i am so sorry you feel that way, you have all my sympathy

second this is very well written. hanhan, no way you wouldn't get an A for writing your feelings so well. i mean, i wish i could speak and write that way. i guess that is what happen when you speak from your heart DJ ML.

third try being 25 and fit all the descriptions you mention above, i mean all don't omit a single one. i am sure, 100% sure, you won't get to be like me though the (25 part) like this; because you are doing something about it now, you are talking about it, and that will help you put things in perspective once you open yourself. this is you facing the facts.if i did not stay a meek for all these years and had come here i know i would probably at least have a boyfriend. i am working on it and by the end of this year it should happen. this is one lonely soul talking here. i feel like i am already doing better. i mean i think my nickname on this site should have been "cursedsoul". you will be surprised i don't know howlong you've been here, but how many of us identify with you and have crazy problems, speaking for me to be precise, i'll let others speak for themselves.
i am not saying i feed on other people problems or feel better when i hear it. i am saying there are some good people who also experience them and can give you the best advice that lift you up.

so let me say Hugs and Hugs. wish i could give you one if you would receive it from me. after all nobody wants anything to do with me either, but i was told i have to keep going and it's still not too late.

I'd just like to tell you that I was in the same boat just a few months ago. Its weird how similar your problems all sound to my own..
What I did, was to stop and consider what I needed to do to change things. In the end, it didn't take much, but the first and most important step was to stop hating myself and to find that little hidden piece inside of me that was saying "no! I'm not going to live like this". That is what pulled me through. Theres nothing to be gained by giving up. The bad karma or whatever you think it is, that is making your life miserable, its winning, and you shouldn't let it.

I'm by no means a popular guy but I realised that I was trying too hard around people I wanted to fit in with. Now when I'm in the same situation, my will to fit in kicks in, but I take a step back and take a more relaxed approach. I don't make tons of friends this way but I can feel that theyre giving me the respect I'm entitled to, and no longer making me feel like a socially retarded freak just by the way they act around me.

Believe it or not, there are nice girls out there, that treasure the simple things and dont give that rancid "better than thou" attitude to people like us. Granted, they're rare, but they're out there. Just search through these boards and you can see that there are lots of wonderful women going through similar things to us and would probably love to meet a guy like you.
I'm similar to you in the way that I can't figure out when I'm being flirted with etc.. the truth is, it takes practice. One day you'll crack it, and that first meaningful relationship will teach you so much. I'm learning an amazing amount of stuff from being with my girlfriend (shes my first) and -god forbid- if we should split up, I can take this knowledge forward with me for the future.

Future.. this is an important thing, and I can tell that you consider it well, from how you work so hard on your accedemics. I can see that you're an excellent writer, so maybe you just need to limit yourself to a certain ammount of drafts before the finished article. Maybe you're over thinking it too much.

Well theres my thoughts anyway, I hope they help in some way.

viviana said:
you really don't want any comments. please please please

ok i will say something anyway.
first i am so sorry you feel that way, you have all my sympathy

second this is very well written. hanhan, no way you wouldn't get an A for writing your feelings so well. i mean, i wish i could speak and write that way. i guess that is what happen when you speak from your heart DJ ML.

third try being 25 and fit all the descriptions you mention above, i mean all don't omit a single one. i am sure, 100% sure, you won't get to be like me though the (25 part) like this; because you are doing something about it now, you are talking about it, and that will help you put things in perspective once you open yourself. this is you facing the facts.if i did not stay a meek for all these years and had come here i know i would probably at least have a boyfriend. i am working on it and by the end of this year it should happen. this is one lonely soul talking here. i feel like i am already doing better. i mean i think my nickname on this site should have been "cursedsoul". you will be surprised i don't know howlong you've been here, but how many of us identify with you and have crazy problems, speaking for me to be precise, i'll let others speak for themselves.
i am not saying i feed on other people problems or feel better when i hear it. i am saying there are some good people who also experience them and can give you the best advice that lift you up.

so let me say Hugs and Hugs. wish i could give you one if you would receive it from me. after all nobody wants anything to do with me either, but i was told i have to keep going and it's still not too late.

thanks. that means a lot, actually.

and of course i'd take a hug. no problem here.

JustJones said:
I'd just like to tell you that I was in the same boat just a few months ago. Its weird how similar your problems all sound to my own..
What I did, was to stop and consider what I needed to do to change things. In the end, it didn't take much, but the first and most important step was to stop hating myself and to find that little hidden piece inside of me that was saying "no! I'm not going to live like this". That is what pulled me through. Theres nothing to be gained by giving up. The bad karma or whatever you think it is, that is making your life miserable, its winning, and you shouldn't let it.

I'm by no means a popular guy but I realised that I was trying too hard around people I wanted to fit in with. Now when I'm in the same situation, my will to fit in kicks in, but I take a step back and take a more relaxed approach. I don't make tons of friends this way but I can feel that theyre giving me the respect I'm entitled to, and no longer making me feel like a socially retarded freak just by the way they act around me.

Believe it or not, there are nice girls out there, that treasure the simple things and dont give that rancid "better than thou" attitude to people like us. Granted, they're rare, but they're out there. Just search through these boards and you can see that there are lots of wonderful women going through similar things to us and would probably love to meet a guy like you.
I'm similar to you in the way that I can't figure out when I'm being flirted with etc.. the truth is, it takes practice. One day you'll crack it, and that first meaningful relationship will teach you so much. I'm learning an amazing amount of stuff from being with my girlfriend (shes my first) and -god forbid- if we should split up, I can take this knowledge forward with me for the future.

Future.. this is an important thing, and I can tell that you consider it well, from how you work so hard on your accedemics. I can see that you're an excellent writer, so maybe you just need to limit yourself to a certain ammount of drafts before the finished article. Maybe you're over thinking it too much.

Well theres my thoughts anyway, I hope they help in some way.

Thanks for the advice, Jones. It'll take time, but I'll try remembering what you said and apply it to myself in some way.

You know, DJ ML, i think you write very well. i could not have written what you have written when i was 18.

Have you considered having your teachers proof read your paper before you turn it in? they will be able to give you some advice. I have a paper due in a couple of weeks and im going to my professor tomorrow just to talk about the topic and make sure i understand what is expected for the paper. After that I'll bring in a rough draft and go over it with my professor. I'll also have at least six other people proof read it. You need input from other people. its one of the most important parts of a good paper.

Allow me to join, my friend.

You're basically a clone of myself when I was 18, so I can unanimously relate to this. Confidence was the issue with me, but no longer, instead now it's just depression, laziness & apathy. I've made some effort during 20 with dating & enrolling in college, alas, here I am at 24 in the same rut since 22 & I've felt some of life pass me by. I'm also a virgin plus I've never had a genuine girlfriend, kisses at night, cuddling, none of that. A significant-other & friends are essential in life, you grow with each other, sharing & expressing thoughts, dreams, stories, values. I've felt this pain for a long time, I've felt it for such a prolonged period of time that I've become accustomed to it, apathetic to it. No drive, no passion. It's as if you're living in a coma, it's...torture. You're not living you're just existing. This isn't a typical "no confidence" or inferiority problem. I SEE through these illusions like money, status, beauty, intimidation. I truly believe we're all the same, everything else is lies. I just don't have the drive, the motivation, the passion to follow through with goals & life. I feel soulless.

Well that is until today, when I got sick & tired of being lonely & decided to reach out for someone here.

Latest posts

Back