How to make a Convo Last and be memorable

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

man of one

Reaction score
Ok so I added a girl on fb that I have never met, but we were together in school when we were little, she left my school about that time and I never saw her again until now. So after adding her she took a while to accept the friend request but eventually did. I started the convo and she didn't remember me, obviously didn't blame her since it was a long time ago..

Anyways on to the important part after talking for a bit I found out I had some papers and stuff she needed for a class, I said I would gladly give them to her and she accepted..After that we set up a date for us to meet up and for her to pick up the stuff; we decided on this friday..After setting that up I asked her if she had anything important to do after picking up the stuff she replied no so I said maybe we could hang out for a bit and talk and she said ok...So now that i did that I have no idea what i'm gonna talk about with her, sure we may start talking about school and when we were little, but i'm afraid of running out of material and just being quiet with nothing left to say...

I need advice on what you guys have found out on your indvidual dates or from experience things or subjects that are great to make a conversation snowball and just keep going. Like something entertaining, funny anything that you guys have found out that made an impact and made the convo smooth, fun, long and possibly memorable...I dont wanna be like nice weather haha...thanks in advance! and remember i only got till this friday so any advice will be greatly appreciated...hurry!! jk haha

Recent events, both foreign and domestic. What classes will she be taking - are you familiar with them? What brought her back to the area? Stuff like that would probably be OK to take up a bit of time. But...you don't want to talk to her too long this first time. It might get awkward. Good luck!

I can help you with this- I went to the one source of indisputable truth, Urban Dictionary, and found an answer for you....

Crib Notes:

A small instrument used to aid in the art of cheating. It is generaly small peices of paper with answers to a test, or just notes on a specific topic.

Tips on Cheating:
-Do NOT write on yourself, it is impossable to hide if a teacher begins to question you.
-Make sure the crib notes can be easily destroyed. Try chewing gum and if a teacher becomes suspicious eat the peice of paper and they'll never know.
-Try printing off some crib notes in size 6 font about 4 inches wide by 1/2 inch long. Then acquire a small transparent pen, generaly those clear plastic BIC pens work the best. Simply roll up the paper around the tube of ink and slide it in. Voila you've created a crib sheet that is virtualy invisible to anyone who doesn't know where to look.

Or go with what Eve said. She's smart that way ;)

EveWasFramed said:
Recent events, both foreign and domestic. What classes will she be taking - are you familiar with them? What brought her back to the area? Stuff like that would probably be OK to take up a bit of time. But...you don't want to talk to her too long this first time. It might get awkward. Good luck!

Yeah we are in the same field so the classes are the same I know I can take some time with that, but if the convo ends fast and we don't really like connect a bit i'm afraid she will find me boring and never want to hang out in the future, I want to make an impact so she is like "I want to hang out with this guy again"...why do you say to not talk to her too long? if we start rolling it would seem ok, though if it starts failing I understand the keeping it short..which is why im asking advice haha..and thanks!

WildernessWildChild said:
I can help you with this- I went to the one source of indisputable truth, Urban Dictionary, and found an answer for you....

Crib Notes:

A small instrument used to aid in the art of cheating. It is generaly small peices of paper with answers to a test, or just notes on a specific topic.

Tips on Cheating:
-Do NOT write on yourself, it is impossable to hide if a teacher begins to question you.
-Make sure the crib notes can be easily destroyed. Try chewing gum and if a teacher becomes suspicious eat the peice of paper and they'll never know.
-Try printing off some crib notes in size 6 font about 4 inches wide by 1/2 inch long. Then acquire a small transparent pen, generaly those clear plastic BIC pens work the best. Simply roll up the paper around the tube of ink and slide it in. Voila you've created a crib sheet that is virtualy invisible to anyone who doesn't know where to look.

Or go with what Eve said. She's smart that way ;)

Hahahaha! awesome! made me laugh! or an earpiece like in the movies, problem is what cheats do i write? haha...and thanks! haha

I guess I have to be the naysayer....

You can't really "pre-plan" a conversation. Conversations are dynamic and in my experience bringing up topics that you have thought about ahead of time almost always feel forced. The only way a conversation will snowball is if she is actually interested in conversing with you. If that happens you two then feed off the information you give to each other. You say X, she relates to X and mentions Y, you acknowledge Y and relate it to Z etc. If she doesn't actually want to converse it doesn't matter what X is, she will never give you Y. Well, she might, but the conversation will falter not too long after no matter what X is.

tl;dr: You have to have that magical spark.

What Dr. Strangelov says, it's impossible to plan an entire conversation. It is possible to have a few subjects in mind though. If I were you, I'd just start with something basic things, talking about the school you were in together, what has she been up to, etc. Try to find some common ground and you can talk about that. Try to find some other things you could talk about if the conversation starts to get dull, so you can always fall back on this. But I'm sure the best thing is to just talk about your (and her) life, ask enough questions and eventually you'll definitely find something you have in common to talk about.

E: And showing interest almost ALWAYS makes the other person interested in you too. It's a rule I've learned when I worked as a fundraiser, to get a connection with the customer, and it's definitely true. If you ask questions, she'll ask questions too.

man of one said:
Hahahaha! awesome! made me laugh! or an earpiece like in the movies, problem is what cheats do i write? haha...and thanks! haha

An earpiece- that's ingenious! Oh hell, pick me dude, I'll definitely help you make an impression she'll not forget.

And shut up to Eve in advance for whatever mean comment she's gonna make :p

Ok guys thanks a bunch for the advice!, It is true to have some conversation starter in mind like school in our case, but to make the convo great and to keep going the magical spark that the good dr.Strangelove said has to be there..I guess i'll just meet up with her, be calm and relaxed and act like i'm meeting a close friend so im not uptight or overthink things...Overthinking may be one of the things that may have killed other chances in the past..so come friday i'll be one laidback "what happens happens" man. Of course I will show alot of interest in her life like you said Aspalas, cause I personally start liking a person when the person does this and is nice about it even if the things are negative (guess everyone is like that though lol)...I'll do my best to show my true colors and see if she likes them, hopefully she does!

haha def WildernessWildChild you are hired!

Thanks alot for the support! :D

HA know what I remember as a memorable conversation that forever will make us laugh? One person I dated, felt that it was an awkward silence (wasn't for me, but y'know, he was jittery!) and he looked all around trying to think of something to say quickly, and as he looked out the window in the living room he blurts out:

"I like windows."

I was pretty **** surprised. Another person I know went on a date and the poor guy was going on about bees. Why? She wasn't really sure. When he finally realized he was going on and on, he stopped... Then it got awkward. So, she picked up the conversation: "So.... Bees...." lol.

The point of those two odd examples... You cannot predict a conversation. If you become ancy and worried, or overthink... You say silly things. Which really isn't all bad mind you (those two fellas forever have these conversations held against them :) ). Just be YOU. If someone doesn't like you for you, don't take it badly... Just means there's somebody else waiting!!

Well we met up yesterday and after giving her the school stuff she needed we sat down for a bit and had a chat, sadly It was nothing special the convo mainly focused on the classes/school, but never once did it get awkward or silent. Though to be fair this was not a date I was simply handing her the materials she needed and I proposed we sat down to talk a bit..Even though I showed confidence,smiled,laughed, was really attentive to what she had to say (and mind you this chat was on a time limit since she had to go back to class) I still feel I could have done a bit better, but what's done is done, hopefully now that she met me we can meet up for something not inlvolving school. When saying goodbye she thanked me and I said "I want to see you again someday" to which she replied "sure!" did she mean it? or was she just being nice? I don't know, but later on I will ask her out on a real date and see what happens!..All in all I feel I did pretty good given the circumstances and again thanks for helping me out guys! :)

haha! Senamian those are some pretty weird convos, I also would remember those if they happened to me!...next time i'm talking about the relationship between windows and bees! :D

I am always unsure about the word "sure". I use it too, but it really depends on the person I am replying to LOL. (such a useless answer :p) Considering it was not an awkward conversation, I don't feel that the "sure" was a "no". Usually when I feel uncomfortable, the word "sure" is really a "not a chance" or "unlikely but I will think about it..." LOL.

Latest posts

Back