How to make friends

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wyrm

Reaction score
Yes, I realize this is an ironic question to ask on this type of forum, but I'm sure that some of you have advanced more than I have. If there's any place to ask how to make friends, it's one in which the people have had to learn how to do it manually and can hopefully break it down for someone with my question.

So I've tried many things: volunteering group, meetup website, church (it was for more than that, but it really didn't work lol) etc. Everyone in college just seems to be in their own world, then again everyone here in Miami seems to have their own life.

I did meet a couple of cool people in a meetup, though I'm kind of hesitant on contacting either of them to hang out. I just have trouble making a connection with people, unless they're a very outgoing person with good social skills. It kind of sucks because I would also like to have some a dating life, which is almost impossible (at least to me) without some sort of social network. Having friends also obviously helps in acting normal (i.e. not needy) around the girl.

So, for those of you have have been able to make friends in real life, how were you able to do it?

I had to move around alot as a child, so I kind of got used to making friends
or meeting people. Even the people I met weren't too healhty for me.

A friendship as in any type of relationship requires maintenance.

I've been attending support groups and I've making friends throught that
at the moment. I have common bonds with certain people.
I'm not as close to as I used to be with anyone at the moment.
Never the less these types of relationships is helping me learn how to trust again.
It also helps me keep in contacts with people...
I isolated myself for a while and got used to just being alone.
In other words...I'm a bit lazy when it comes to relationships building or keeping a relationship.
I have 4-5 people that will visit me or call me on a regular basis.
It's almost like a chore to me to call my sponsor or call my friends.
It's not so much that I lack friendship building skills...I'm basiscally too lazy.

On a certain level. I have a lot of trusts issues..mental and emotional blocks.
Bascailly my best friends messed my fiance when I was in college.
It took me a long time to get over that.
In my last long term relationship...my ex-gf fresia bascailly my best friends again.
It was like reliving a freaken nightmair again.
I want to be able to connect with people again or have sometype of values
for relationships. The people that I reach out to in my support groups knows that.
It's little wierd to explain.. In the back of my mind I still don't trust people.
I don't value relationships as much as I used too...even though I want to.
On a good day I feel i can trust again. On a bad day, I think it's retarded.
So for me it's has to do with me getting WELL...the more well I get..
The better my life gets.

I still run into HS buddies or long time friends every now and then.
They're still my friends even though we don't hang out as much anymore.

I made a couple of good friends through an r/c model club..
We had common interest and could hang out and talk about aviation or the
in and out of R/C flying.

Well..in my 20's i was party animal and had all kinds of people in and out of
my life. Most of it was becuase i had a carefree personality.
Yeah...I sort of ran around with a click of people..bascailly my band members.

Plus i was also in the usaf..I had a click of guys I'd used to hang out with
and bascailly went out and party all the time. Get drunk and go to night clubs
and meet different women all the time. So bascailly it was sort of routine
for me to get rejected or accepted by women. We bascailly went out drinking
almost everynight except for sunday. (Sunday is to catch up on sleeping).:p
In other words there were plenty of women to go around. Plus being in the
military there was self disciplin, courage, and facing fears getting
drilled into ya all the time...

All the women I've had long relationships with asked me out.
Bascailly becuase I was active and hardly stayed home.
Plus I was easy going and didn't have alot of hang ups.
I'm a bit of an air head...that's why all my gfs were blondes.:p
I don't meet people all the time...but over a period of time I collected peaple in my life.
I'd call or stay in contact with them or go out of my way to call them or visit them.
Invite them to go do something all the time. I didn't have to work at it.
It came natrual or there were enough people in my life, I seldom had to do anyhting alone.
Oe somtimes I'll get invited to go do something. It dosn't have to be anything major
or formal. Fortunately where I got stationed at was a big enough city with plenty of
activities or hang out places for young people aside from the bars or night clubs.
Such as hanging out a park on a saturday afternoon...there's probably thousands of people there.
Or a quick drive to a nearby lake.

So when it comes to having a gf..most women thought it was fun being around me
becuase we were always doing sometype of activities.
Which is like a double edge sword..becuase once she gets me or when the relationship
gose past the courting or honeymoon stage. I'll still wanna go hang out and party.
I basically worked hard and I party hard.
Bascailly women were chasing me...becuase I didn't chase them.
I had a bit of a chip on my shoulders and I had a bussied sechdule.
So i wasn't sitting and wondering about people all the time.
Time flies when you're having fun sort of speak
My ex-wf and a couple of other gf's used to stalk me or chased me all the time..lmao
Plus I was making good money and drove a sports car..Pretty shallow some people would say,
but that just the way it is. GFs arn't cheap. Doing activities,partying or taking a weekend get away aren't cheap.

Plus back in the days...peaple were out and about more becuase
there wasn't an internet.

Geez, that thing with the fiance and other girlfriend is tough dude.

This has really been bothering me over the last few weeks, in addition (well I guess mainly due) to my lack of relationship with my parents. Though I do feel stronger and more able, it's left me in more need of some sort of connection, which is why I'm looking into religion once again. Though I hated it, things were easier when I was in the depression, in that little bubble. Not that I want to go back, but yeah............ I find that fighting to have a good, well-rounded life sure is **** hard.

Hadrurus said:
Geez, that thing with the fiance and other girlfriend is tough dude.

This has really been bothering me over the last few weeks, in addition (well I guess mainly due) to my lack of relationship with my parents. Though I do feel stronger and more able, it's left me in more need of some sort of connection, which is why I'm looking into religion once again. Though I hated it, things were easier when I was in the depression, in that little bubble. Not that I want to go back, but yeah............ I find that fighting to have a good, well-rounded life sure is **** hard.

yeah, not having a good relationship with your family or your parents
can play a role.

The support groups I attend are 12 steps programs.
Working the 12 steps had helped me take good hard look at myself.
Abandonment issues...and the way I process life or for some strange
reasons I keep picking women that would abandent me but run
away from women that truely cares about me.

I actaully didn't want to do the support groups/12 steps again
but my depression got really bad. I needed help.

Yeap, depression was more comfortiable or easier...becuase I didn't
have to do anything about my life...lol
Nope...I don't want to go back to that depression or isolation again.

I've been fortunant...one of my closest friend at the moment is
a female. She came into my life when I really needed her...
She went out of her way to reach out to me. To make sure I didn't
check out. Maybe it's a god thing...IDK
Trust building and relationship building again.
On a good day I can really love her...on a bad day...she gets on my
freaken nerves :p

Yeap,the balance thing...It's like trying to ride a unicycle and juggle at the sametime.lol

I just keep reaching out and everyonce in a while pick up the 2 tons phone and call someone :p

[youtube]5Cuoxa59jxI[/youtube]

too bad humans don't really follow the basic roles of logic

--or this would like totally work

:(

I have not tried a meetup group (there are almost none in my area, and none that would interest me), volunteering or church (I'm not a religious type, despite my belief in the Supreme Power), but I have successfully made friends after taking up the hobbies I've always wanted (but never got around to it at school and university). It really depends on luck to some extent because there are people (the majority really) who, despite being nice enough and all, will never be my friends as for some reason we just don't click together. But there are some people with whom I connect easily and naturally, like we're on the same wavelength and resonate with each other. Try to make conversation with those you are intuitively drawn to, if it flows naturally, you might just have found a friend. It will be easier if you have something in common (attend the same classes, engage in the same activity, like similar books, etc.), of course, that's why it's advisable to join some club/hobby group that really interest you.

Latest posts

Back