How To Win Friends And Influence People

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
People have been writing books like that for a long time. The way I feel however is that the way in which I interact socially isn't really something that I want to over-analyse and book-learn, at risk of feeling disingenuous and manipulative.

I think that most people can learn, on a cognitive level, how to form and maintain relationships with other people. It doesn't take anyone special to follow a handful of basic principles of social psychology. The question however is whether or whether not this new way of interacting with people will feel in any way intuitive to the individual and how true it is to the individual's personality, temperament, attitudes, etc. Dunno man.

SpectacledScienceCat said:
People have been writing books like that for a long time. The way I feel however is that the way in which I interact socially isn't really something that I want to over-analyse and book-learn, at risk of feeling disingenuous and manipulative.

I think that most people can learn, on a cognitive level, how to form and maintain relationships with other people. It doesn't take anyone special to follow a handful of basic principles of social psychology. The question however is whether or whether not this new way of interacting with people will feel in any way intuitive to the individual and how true it is to the individual's personality, temperament, attitudes, etc. Dunno man.
Welcome to the forum!:)

I have the audio book...
its good to review it once in a while...

havnt practiced anything tho.... thats the problem

MadMonkè said:
I have the audio book...

Audio book! I'll try to get that.

Yes applying is hard, but we must keep trying! :D

Felix said:
MadMonkè said:
I have the audio book...

Let me know if I can help :)
what free file sharing service do you use?

MadMonkè said:
Felix said:
MadMonkè said:
I have the audio book...

Let me know if I can help :)
what free file sharing service do you use?

Thanks bro but already got what I wanted.

Piratebay FTW :D

nice lol

I knew I had a gem when I first heard it. plus its ancient... and still relevant.
so it must be good. lol

MadMonkè said:
nice lol

I knew I had a gem when I first heard it. plus its ancient... and still relevant.
so it must be good. lol

Yep today my shrink told me it was like the 1st selfimprovement book ever lol

I think that book is a classic. One thing I remembered by it that has made a huge difference in my conversations is showing an interest in others. One day I saw a high school acquaintance and I simply asked her "How are you? How are things going in your life?" With that one question she shared so much...her joys, her pains and this woman is very popular and social. People love to talk about themselves, their interests and many don't get a chance. And I LIKE asking them about themselves and what they are up to. I ENJOY hearing about it. It's so much better than droning on and on about yourself (except that eventually you should be able to share) but people LOVE and NEED to talk about themselves. It's a gift to listen to them.

It has seriously helped me already, and I just read like the first 4 chapters :)

I wanted to make a website with other artists like myself but I never knew how to approach them properly, even having contact with most of them.

After reading about this, I knew what I had to do! I told them first they would get a benefit from my website. I tought about their own needs! That was the missing piece.

Now I convinced 3 out of the 5 people I asked to join. Some guy even thanked me for showing so much interest in his work. I achieved my goal with the plus of helping others :)

We had a thread on Ideal Conversation some weeks back and I posted about the book there:

Lost Drifter said:
I think most conversations tend to fail when, as Trailer Trish said, it becomes a boring one way conversation with one person making all the effort and the other offering not much more than scant responses. It soon feels like a questionnaire session with the asker (the person taking the lead) feeling tired of having to make all the effort to keep flow and converse. This happens A LOT.

Conversations aren’t difficult or laborious affairs, in his book How to Win Friends and Influence People author Dale Carnegie wrote that one of the best ways to encourage a friendly relationship is to show an interest in the people. Everyone wants to feel like they are special and everyone wants to be heard, those are basic human traits right there, but far too many conversations fall into one person showing all the interest and the other giving nothing in return. Conversations like most things in life are a two-way process and as much as you want someone to be interested in you, you then have to be interested in them in return. This applies to both real life and online.

Throw in a few questions and LISTEN to their answers, ask them about themselves, a common situation or some experience you may share, use that information to take the conversation forward. Sure there are going to be times when you’re expected to just listen, nothing wrong with that at all, but if listening is dominating your role in the conversation (as in you’re always listening but never being listened to) in can get far too tiresome. Like I said it is a two-way process, if one side isn’t making an effort then it will soon fail, it’s just common courtesy.

There is also an updated version for Digital Communication (which I am guessing to mean chat, email, forums etc) but haven’t been able to check it out as of yet. Either way it’s a wonderful book that a lot of people need to read.

I'm so happy that this book is helping members. I also highly recommend: "The Power Of Positive Thinking". The 2 books compliment each other. I believe I posted the book a while back.:)

Latest posts

Back