I <3 Google Chrome

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Estreen

Reaction score
Just recently made the switch from Firefox 3 to Google Chrome, and I must say, so far I am loving not having memory leaks and crashes. ^.^ Not to diss my dear Firefox, but until Mozilla fixes the memory usage and crash issues, I don't think I'll be going back for some time. >.>

Anyone else use Chrome? If so, how was your experience with it? What were some features you liked/didn't like? Did you switch back or stay?

So far I don't know of anyone else that has tried it yet, so I figured I'd post about it in here. :)

I use Chrome occasionally too. It is great and faster. I love it! :)

Okay, well, other than it not being able to load Meebo for some reason, I'm good with it. I don't need to be on messengers anyway... I barely talk to anyone.

Alright, a new recruit! :O

lingo said:
I use Chrome occasionally too. It is great and faster. I love it! :)

Yeah, I love how my PC doesn't lag almost to the point of crashing anymore. :p

VanillaCreme said:
Okay, well, other than it not being able to load Meebo for some reason, I'm good with it. I don't need to be on messengers anyway... I barely talk to anyone.

Did you mean the Meebo home page, or after you log in? The home page loaded for me, and I'll sign up and test it to see if it works for me.

Well I signed up and it loaded it up for me, and signed me into AIM straight away. >.> And thanks, I might use this site in the future. *smirks*

I used Chrome for a day or two when it was first released...it's pretty nice, but I'll be staying with Firefox simply because of the massive amount of themes and extensions available for it.

Yes, that's why I initially didn't want to switch from Firefox. I loved my Foxkeh theme. ;-; There's also a lot of things I liked about Firefox, but I just couldn't stand the vast amount of memory/CPU usage it was taking out on my laptop and I need something faster for now 'til FF gets a tweak/upgrade.

When I go to meebo.com, the page itself continuously loads. The little blue loading circle never goes away. And when I attempted to sign in anyway, it didn't load to sign me in. So, it was just stuck on the home page. But it's quite alright. Like I said, I don't need to be signed into anything anyway.

I do like Chrome a lot. I didn't really think it would look like this. I thought it would be all chrome-y and whatnot. Silver themed. It's more of a simple look than I imagined. I didn't pay it much mind.

I'm looking on my task manager, and it says Chrome is running four times. o_O Odd...

Yeap, four times. I just exited out of Chrome completely, and it wasn't there. I open it back up and it's there four times. Anyone know why? Is it supposed to be like that?

VanillaCreme said:
When I go to meebo.com, the page itself continuously loads. The little blue loading circle never goes away. And when I attempted to sign in anyway, it didn't load to sign me in. So, it was just stuck on the home page. But it's quite alright. Like I said, I don't need to be signed into anything anyway.

I do like Chrome a lot. I didn't really think it would look like this. I thought it would be all chrome-y and whatnot. Silver themed. It's more of a simple look than I imagined. I didn't pay it much mind.

I'm looking on my task manager, and it says Chrome is running four times. o_O Odd...

Yeap, four times. I just exited out of Chrome completely, and it wasn't there. I open it back up and it's there four times. Anyone know why? Is it supposed to be like that?

I believe Chrome spawns new threads for each tab you open (so that if one thread crashes and dies, the rest will stay open).

I also tried it when it first arrived on the scene, but it just didn't have enough features or addons to replace Firefox...yet. The general concept seems good though, so I'll check out the most recent version sometime.

I downloaded Chrome the day it released and tried using it several times but I just hate it. Its so neat that I cant imagine using it. Hate it so much. I still love firefox, even with errors. lol.

Caesium said:
VanillaCreme said:

I believe Chrome spawns new threads for each tab you open (so that if one thread crashes and dies, the rest will stay open).

Yes, that's right Caesium. There's one process for the browser that always runs on an average (on my PC) of around 24k memory, then a process for each thread, and there should be one for the shockwave I believe.

If you right-click on the top (not on a tab though) you'll see "Task Manager" right above where it says "Close" at the bottom. I thought a browser that has it's own task manager is pretty cool, and it goes into a bit more detail. The memory usage numbers match up with my Windows Task Manager but it gives a bit more detail about the Chrome components.

So, you'll see about 3 or 4 processes running on the task managers, but I added it all up, and it uses a significantly less amount of memory than Firefox did, and is faster. I wish there was more to do with it to customize it, but in exchange for the speed and ease of it, I'd say I'm pretty content with it for now.

I opened 8 tabs in Firefox and same 7 tabs in chrome, firefox had xat chat open so i didnt open it in chrome again, chrome took around 149 memory when I added it up (16+16+38+16+17+17+15+14) and firefox took only around 87

I know this varies so i minimized chrome for 5 minutes and checked processes again without maximizing it (10+5+22+9+5+9+7+7). Firefox still in 87 so i closed xat and now its 82 (gmail inbox and hotmail inbox is open in firefox but only the login page is open in chrome lol)
(memory doesn't matter much though but i pasted just to say that it takes more memory here, I think maybe because of more tabs)

So I m still with firefox as its good here lol. It may change in other computers.

Yeah, Firefox, with just having one window/tab open would run me between ~50k-80k -- depending on what I had opened up for that page. Once I tried running multiple tabs....Oi. It never went below 400k memory with 4 or 5 tabs up -.- Usually it would run me up to ~500k+ with around 4 or 5 tabs. I went online and looked up on how to optimize Firefox, but the numbers weren't much lower, if at all. Maybe it's my PC, maybe it's because I'm on a PC running on Vista, but whatever the case, Chrome (so far *knocks on wood*) runs better for me overall. I think this is just more of which web browser works better for which system/PC.

I still have mad love for Firefox, I just hated how it would do random crashes and lag/freeze up my PC, the huge memory hogging and how it was all increasing to the point where it'd happen with almost every session. With Chrome it hasn't yet. I dunno, maybe I have to give it some time and maybe it will fail me too, lol, but I like having a browser that runs this smooth for me. :)

aah lol. I m running Windows service pack 3 lol. Maybe something to do with vista. IDK lol. Chrome wins in crash issues coz it saves tabs but I still cant use it. It looks so neat and empty. xD

Haha, I agree with that, it is quite plain, although the extensions and add-ons with Firefox sometimes worried me that I would bog down my system/browser but I liked being able to put up a theme and customize it to what I like, although I think that with some time Chrome will get to that point. :)

I'm thinking of going back to Firefox for the light stuff (MySpace, Facebook, e-mail, etc.) and use Chrome for the heavier stuff like games, Gaia, and whatnot.

Latest posts

Back