I am fed up with being drunk

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cumulus.james

Reaction score
I am fed up with being drunk. I am also scared about it because I am extremely likely to develop cancer if I carry on. But what else can you do?

How can you sit on your own, bored and contemplating death without the aid of a drug such as alcohol?

There has been much research as a consequence of which there are may ways to manage depression. But how do you manage being alone and bored?

Well you could stop drinking and go outside for one or keep drinking but drink at bars.

music sharpies and buffy keep me pretty content :)

come to think of it, i haven't gotten many sharpies lately they made me happy though :)

some of the greatest art has come from just some conflict try some kind of art, writing music painting hah even if it's crap, just doing something else with your hands and mind helps

have you tried AA or some other kinds of support groups? I know addiction is a hard thing to overcome, but you can get past it

actually I've bored contemplated death for most of my adolescent and sober life

*hugs*

:)

Im not an alcaholic. I just dont much like being awake. Beer makes me sleep but I have to drink so much of it.

evanescencefan91 said:
music sharpies and buffy keep me pretty content :)

come to think of it, i haven't gotten many sharpies lately they made me happy though :)

some of the greatest art has come from just some conflict try some kind of art, writing music painting hah even if it's crap, just doing something else with your hands and mind helps

have you tried AA or some other kinds of support groups? I know addiction is a hard thing to overcome, but you can get past it

actually I've bored contemplated death for most of my adolescent and sober life

*hugs*

:)

Um...you say you're not an alcoholic but you need beer to help you sleep because you don't like being awake? If you do this everyday and can't go without doing it then I'm sorry buy you may have a problem.

I do things I enjoy, I have many hobbies to keep me occupied. That's how I ward off those ugly thoughts. It also keeps the boredom away. Being alone though, you just get used to it.

Sci-Fi said:
Um...you say you're not an alcoholic but you need beer to help you sleep because you don't like being awake? If you do this everyday and can't go without doing it then I'm sorry buy you may have a problem.

I do things I enjoy, I have many hobbies to keep me occupied. That's how I ward off those ugly thoughts. It also keeps the boredom away. Being alone though, you just get used to it.

I agree with this. I've lived with an alcoholic for years, you seem to have a lot of the signs. Perhaps you should try getting some help and finding other options.

You're not an alcoholic,you're just pissed off and lonely.It's the most natural thing in the world to do, if you're a bloke.

But if you see it as a permanent fix,you're in for an early grave.I've drank myself into states that medically, I shouldn't have survived.
I'm probably trying to teach my granny how to suck eggs, but you know that booze is the biggest depressant there is,so you have to sober up,brush yourself down,take another look at you're life,and try to do something about it.Because nobody gives any sympathy or understanding to a drunk!

I don't mean to be harsh,because I know,that's when the defensive mechanisms start up.Just try to sober up for two or three days,(give your liver a chance to recover,it's bollocks about the cancer stuff) and you'd be supprised how much more perspective you have on life.It ain't easy,but what is?

I don’t do it every day. I have periods where I do it for a few weeks then have to stop when I've run my body right down. I can go with out doing it dependant on my mood. when I can drag myself out of despair I don’t drink. But inevitably I fall back down that darkest of pits after a few weeks. I would not moan about drinking only my body has never liked it even when I was a teenager. Its a good medicine up to a point. But it kicks the honeysuckle out of my physical health.

Sci-Fi said:

Oh you're good to go, I kill bottles of liquor and try to polish off cases of beer, good day or bad day doesn't matter to me , it's always time for a drink somewhere in the world.

I love to drink, I have less than 50% liver function but I'd rather die a whiskey drinking son of a ***** rather than someone looking for immortality.

I already have a scary health problem due to the drink. I have acid erosion of my stomach from alcohol and cigarettes, and I think that can turn to cancer. You see all the old drunks round town twice my age living on special brew and roll up’s all day long and they are still going. Booze started to do for me already and I don’t even drink every day or that much. 4 cans where many, many blokes have 4 pints in the pub at night.

When you have nothing to do and nothing interests you the thought of giving up cigarettes and alcohol is terrifying. I mean what do people do all evening when they don’t drink, smoke, eat and have no life?
Jilted John said:
You're not an alcoholic,you're just pissed off and lonely.It's the most natural thing in the world to do, if you're a bloke.

But if you see it as a permanent fix,you're in for an early grave.I've drank myself into states that medically, I shouldn't have survived.
I'm probably trying to teach my granny how to suck eggs, but you know that booze is the biggest depressant there is,so you have to sober up,brush yourself down,take another look at you're life,and try to do something about it.Because nobody gives any sympathy or understanding to a drunk!

I don't mean to be harsh,because I know,that's when the defensive mechanisms start up.Just try to sober up for two or three days,(give your liver a chance to recover,it's bollocks about the cancer stuff) and you'd be supprised how much more perspective you have on life.It ain't easy,but what is?

No I’m gay, which does not help things. It is just about impossible to get a boyfriend unless your 1) VERY young looking 2) VERY fit or 3) VERY rich or a combination of the above. A short stocky average looking 30 yr old will get nowhere. With my looks I would have to have a loud camp over the top and revoltingly fake personality to even get a friend. I dark, mysterious, sardonic and slightly morbid blokey guy will never get anywhere in the western world with gay guys.

I wish to god I was straight. I would most certainly be married with children by now. To be old, gay and ugly is a horrific sentence.

alonewanderer said:
Do you like women? I think they're awesome and great to kill time with.

Don't lose faith James. (sorry, I hope this is your name, if it's not, I'm sorry :()

It's just as hard for straightees as it is for people of other sexual preferences.
I worry often that I'm going to be a fat old lady with lots of cats who scares the kids on hallowe'en as I smell like moth balls.

Just have faith in yourself, and the world (without wishing to sound too corny).

There are good people out there - the existance of a supporting site like this should surely fuel that comment a little bit.

And, without wishing to revert to horrible stereotypes - I am by no means in any way shape or form - I disagree with your statement about the need to be young and fit to get a boyfriend - Stephen Fry (have you SEEN his boyfriend?!? I am so jealous) and Ian McKellen are prime examples.

Keep your chin up. Feel free to PM if you need someone to talk to ever. :)

I have 4 cats already lol. Stephen Fry is not a good example. His current boyfriend is young enough to be his son and lets be honest, Stephen fry would not get anywhere near that guy were he not famous. Same with matt Lucas, Were I famous it would be a different story I can assure you. Nothing like fame and money to turn on young gay guys. Old queens like Graham Norton exist in every gay bar - always trying to be “in” with the young guys. That is another issue that gay guys will protest about, but it is very true - the older they get the younger the guy they want.

KittyKat108 said:
Don't lose faith James. (sorry, I hope this is your name, if it's not, I'm sorry :()

It's just as hard for straightees as it is for people of other sexual preferences.
I worry often that I'm going to be a fat old lady with lots of cats who scares the kids on hallowe'en as I smell like moth balls.

Just have faith in yourself, and the world (without wishing to sound too corny).

There are good people out there - the existance of a supporting site like this should surely fuel that comment a little bit.

And, without wishing to revert to horrible stereotypes - I am by no means in any way shape or form - I disagree with your statement about the need to be young and fit to get a boyfriend - Stephen Fry (have you SEEN his boyfriend?!? I am so jealous) and Ian McKellen are prime examples.

Keep your chin up. Feel free to PM if you need someone to talk to ever. :)

Do you think this is not true for straight people?

Would Hugh Hefner have so many bunnies if he worked in a bank?
Would Elizabeth Taylor have so many husbands if she stayed at a high weight for a long time?

The world, in general, does not dole out pain and suffering in a descriminate manner. Everyone has their pain and burden to bear and it is true to say that the more optimistic people are, the more rewards people gain.

I had my last drink December 23rd.
I discovered that instead of being a calming
thing in my life, alcohol was a MAJOR contributor to my depression.
Since I gave it up I feel much better.

Good luck to you.

Yeh I don’t think Ill drink like that anymore. I'm beginning to feel about 75 years old. The old nicotine patch went on today so I guess Ill just have to go slowly insane if I want good health.

What are peoples thoughts on cannabis? I don’t mean that nasty nasty skunk stuff that knocks you on your ass, the old fashioned normal stuff? Doctors have a pill form of it but I don’t think the like to give it out. Its being investigated as a cure for some types of depression and as we know it is a good relaxant. Surely a pill with the active compound of cannabis at a measured level is better than my 4-6 cans of high alcohol Stella?

A new life said:
I had my last drink December 23rd.
I discovered that instead of being a calming
thing in my life, alcohol was a MAJOR contributor to my depression.
Since I gave it up I feel much better.

Good luck to you.

Anything that detracts from your mental state is not going to help you get into a better mental position. If you want to be in a genuinely better position, then you need to kick any and all habits, and work on rebuilding your mind so you won't be so depressed by pursuing what will make you happy. Its easier said than done, but it can be done.

Latest posts

Back