I am Skinny and Unattractive

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ardour said:
I think you're caught in a time warp - nothing wrong with being slim. Being bulked up and muscular is a bit of a joke these days.

I don't see how that can be a joke. It's the same thing as if you were to call someone fat and say they're a joke.

Like what Nilla said, there is nothing wrong with being whatever way you want as long as you're happy with it and know what you're doing.

To be honest , you remind me of a friend of mine. Hes around 6,6 ( and pretty skinny). every one called him Stick-man and a bunch of other crap. None he just doesn't care.
Anyways, I'm sorry for what you are going thought, I hope everything becomes better for you.

ladyforsaken said:
ardour said:
I think you're caught in a time warp - nothing wrong with being slim. Being bulked up and muscular is a bit of a joke these days.

I don't see how that can be a joke. It's the same thing as if you were to call someone fat and say they're a joke.

Like what Nilla said, there is nothing wrong with being whatever way you want as long as you're happy with it and know what you're doing.

I didn't mean it like that (as in a person being a joke). Heavily muscled as an obvious macho thing doesn't appear to be considered that attractive any more . You generally don't see body builder sized models in fashion magazines, quite the opposite and plenty of male celebrities aren't physically imposing either, so I don't see how skinny is a problem from the perspective of worrying about what others think. Many people who struggle with their weight would envy him. Obviously Case sees it as a problem and has the right to feel any way he wants about it.

Case, skinny, maybe, I can't see that from the picture, but unattractive, no way. Maybe you felt like that as a teenager, but it's not the case now. Just saying.

Gabriel20 & Mad Monty: Thanks for the kind words.

Tiina63: It would be harder to work out, but that's okay by me. As for wearing gym clothes, that has never been a problem for me in the past. The good thing about the gyms I've been to is that most people are only interested in their own workouts.

Ero: Thanks. It does suck not feeling how we'd like to feel. It's strange to say this, but I look at how other guys wear their clothes and I realize that I can't pull it off. The fact that I haven't been a big gym rat has something to do with it.

Alma and Punisher: Thanks for the workout tips. Two questions: 1) As an ectomorph, why is cardio discouraged? I understand that cardio would be using energy that an ectomorph would need for muscle building, but isn't heart health still important? And, 2) I've seen some negative articles on creatine. Why couldn't I just lift and eat a proper diet instead of taking supplements?

Outcast: Yes. Shopping for clothes is certainly a challenge.

Nilla: Yes, being skinny doesn't necessarily mean being unattractive. Thanks for the compliment.

Peaches: That was very nice to say. As I mentioned, I was definitely more self-loathing about that when I was much younger. Not as much now, but I have my moments. :)

Case said:
Alma and Punisher: Thanks for the workout tips. Two questions: 1) As an ectomorph, why is cardio discouraged? I understand that cardio would be using energy that an ectomorph would need for muscle building, but isn't heart health still important? And, 2) I've seen some negative articles on creatine. Why couldn't I just lift and eat a proper diet instead of taking supplements?

I agree with you, looking after your heart is important, that's why I said keep cardio to a minimum, I didn't say not to do it at all. You will need to establish a level of cardio that will work for fitness without overdoing it.
The problem with cardio for an ectomorph is more problematic after weight training sessions, not before! As long as you give yourself enough resting time after each gym session to allow for muscle recovery & growth(& feed your body all the nutrients it requires) before doing any cardio sessions you should manage some good gains.

Here are my recipes for pre & post workout shakes, inexpensive & effective.

Pre
banana
teaspoon cocoa powder(I use Green & Blacks organic)
teaspoon honey
tablespoon peanut butter(any nut better will do-all the better if you make it fresh yourself but not everyone wants to goto such lengths)
fill upto 300ml mark with milk(milk of your choice)
Blitz in blender

As above but substitute the banana for 2 raw eggs

Re:creatine
Many years ago I worked in the bodybuilding industry, part of my job entailed selling supplements, creatine was one of the few supplements that ever seemed to give any results. It has it's merits, there have been concerns over it's effects on the kidneys, it can result in dehydration & some people find it difficult to regulate but many swear by it.

Hope this helps

Case said:

If you have problems adding weight, the creatine will definitely help you.

I used to lift weights six days a week and had five meals a day. My body grew, but my arms stayed skinny. I started taking creatine, and after a few months, my arms grew and matched the rest of my body :p

If you're gonna make Alma's delicious sounding shake, add a scoop of protein powder :D You will need lots of protein.

Case said:
One co-worker used to greet me every morning by saying, "Hey, Skinny!" Then, one morning I answered with, "Heyyy, FATTY!" and she never called me "skinny" again. I wouldn't have ever referred to someone's weight that way, but this woman was one of the most irritating people I'd ever known, so she deserved it.

That did make me laugh, I have to admit.

It just goes to show that being skinny can be a self-esteem issue for people as well and I don't think most people realise it because so many people desire it for themselves. I have a friend who was (still is) like this and people would call her 'beanpole' in school (not me, I hasten to add) and she always got really upset about it. In fact, people used to call us 'fatty and skinny'. Meh, eff them.

Although I don't have this problem myself - it's the other way around for me - I have been consciously working on my confidence levels over the last few years and I know, it's a really annoying cliche but, it is true when they say that you should accept what you have and learn to love yourself.

I am alot bigger now than when I was 21 and yet I have way more confidence and self-esteem than I used to.

I think remarking on someone's physical appearance (unless it's a compliment of course) is never a good thing because you have no idea how people feel about themselves.

As for advise, drinking beer always helped for me but I wouldn't recommend it! :D

Also, I saw your pic on the 'let's see the faces' thread and I don't think you're "too" skinny at all! You look great to me.

ardour said:

I actually find muscly guys a real turn off. Ok, nice tone is a good thing but those bulked up men, really do nothing at all for me.

You see, attractiveness is totally subjective.

I haven't read the replies. I can relate very much to what you're saying. A typical moment of "that could be me writing it." I've been underweight all my life. Everyone tells me not to worry about it and that i'll gain weight rapidly as i grow older. I have the same issues you describe.

I have nothing useful to say, just that i can relate to how you feel.

I used to be very skinny when I was a kid, through my teenage years and in to my early twenties. Was quite fit, did a lot of hiking and bike riding. But I got called a lot of names, jokes made about me being a stick insect, that I would blow away in a slight breeze, that people could snap me in two, ect ect. Was told a lot to put on a bit of weight. Even girls said it. So when I did, guess what .... yep .... straight away, the fat jokes started. So I've been at both ends of the scale, and know that when people don't like you (and you're not popular, in any way, shape, or form), then it doesn't really matter what you look like.

I've read that ectomorphs should eat less rather than more if they want to gain weight. Something about how eating revs up an ectomorph's metabolism and causes them to burn off more, or something. Sorry I can't remember more. =/ I'm an endomorph so I have the opposite problem.

Case said:
I know that some people might think that I am crazy for having an issue with being thin.

I wouldn't think that you are crazy because you have an issue with that. It's true that being skinny is something that I would not consider bad, but when it is viewed as an insullt, I guess that change things.
tbh, I like your response to the person who called you skinny. I wish you could adopt that atitude in a larger context. What I mean here is that, maybe, trying to develop an 'i dont give a fresia about what others think' attitude could help you. (easier said than done, I know). However, you cannot just stay hidden, stay enclosed in your shell, just because people are jerks. People try to find a way to mock others; if it's not your frame, it'd be something else, and the best you can do it to ignore it and try to live your life and do things you'd like to do.

OK....WELL YOUR 6'2 AND YES YOU ARE NOT FAT.....EAT ORGANIC FOR YOUR HEALTH AND AVOID MEDICATIONS OR VITAMINS...YOU WILL FILL OUT....IM 5'9 AND WAS SKINNY BUT HAVE FILLED OUT WITH AGE....SO WHAT YOU NEED TO DO IS THIS AND ITLL WORK.....DO KNUCKLE PUSH UPS ON A TOWEL ....START WITH 10 X 3 AND DO IT EVERY 2ND DAY WITH OUT FAIL...WHEN YOU CAN DO THE 10 X 3 EASILY INCREASE TO 10 X 4...10 X5 THEN INCREASE TO 50 X 5....BY THEN YOU WILL BE TONED AND HAVE STRONG ARMS AND IMPROVED CHEST.ITS EASIER THAN LOSING WEIGHT AND WORKS.... MY UNCLE WAS NAVAL KARATE INSTRUCTOR AND SHOWED ME.... GOOD LUCK

I hope OP got his situation sorted out, but I'd like to add that sometimes it helps to be thankful for what you have. There are a lot of people who would want to be 6 feet tall, let alone 6"2

quead64 said:
I hope OP got his situation sorted out, but I'd like to add that sometimes it helps to be thankful for what you have. There are a lot of people who would want to be 6 feet tall, let alone 6"2

Tall people often want to be shorter. Shorter people often want to be taller. Who cares, you are what you are and you don't have to think about all the people that would want to have your height. Height is a minuscule thing that doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of life. That is, of course, NOT to say someone can't have an issue with their own. Hell, I have issues with my height, at times, but it's mostly that I feel short and stubby when I find people taller than me....and I'm not short.

That's like telling someone who has friends and is still lonely to be thankful because the next person doesn't have any friends. We all struggle with different things, not one of them is less than the other, but by saying to someone that they should be thankful because someone else isn't that tall is somewhat hurtful, IMO.

Yes, people should be thankful for what they have, but sometimes there are other issues at play and that's perfectly okay.

TheRealCallie said:
Tall people often want to be shorter. Shorter people often want to be taller. Who cares, you are what you are and you don't have to think about all the people that would want to have your height. Height is a minuscule thing that doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of life. That is, of course, NOT to say someone can't have an issue with their own. Hell, I have issues with my height, at times, but it's mostly that I feel short and stubby when I find people taller than me....and I'm not short.

I find it really hard being short when I find, yet again, I need a taller ladder :D

I'm an overly practical person, but when I look at the physical side I think of, can I accomplish what I need/want to do in life? and How healthy do I feel?

Being small and weak, I often have to be clever and persisent.

Case, You're not the only person who feels this way.

I've been put down many times, where women have told me right to my face that I'm ugly.

I could probably list on one hand the number of women who have ever responded in any way that's positive to me. (This includes family members by the way)

TheRealCallie said:
quead64 said:

That's like telling someone who has friends and is still lonely to be thankful because the next person doesn't have any friends. We all struggle with different things, not one of them is less than the other, but by saying to someone that they should be thankful because someone else isn't that tall is somewhat hurtful, IMO.

Yes, people should be thankful for what they have, but sometimes there are other issues at play and that's perfectly okay.

you're right, but I didn't mean for it to come of insincere, I thought looking at the situation differently, in a more positive light, may be the first step in improving the situation

Today hasn't been one of my better days. I almost cried when I saw my reflection this morning.

Latest posts

Back