I can't handle.

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cornell Witte

Reaction score
A few weeks ago I injured my lower back during my full-time job shift. It wasn't a serious injury, but just a strain; the thing is lower back strains can be surprisingly severe.

I had trouble walking; sitting down was painful and I actually needed help standing up because the pain was so sharp. I had to fill out some paperwork and needed to go to the clinic. The pain was so sharp that I didn't feel like I could safely drive to the clinic... actually, I don't think I could drive. They asked if I could have someone come and pick me up, but I said I didn't have anyone available. Neither my supervisor, head manager, nor safety manager offered to give me a ride but instead offered to call a taxi. I told them I didn't have any cash (not sure if Taxis take credit card) and they somewhat ignored me and simply repeated that I needed to get checked out at the clinic and come right back to work ASAP.

I have felt down and depressed for probably many months before this injury, and I do a good job of hiding it, but when I went out to the parking lot and leaned against my car (too much pain to actually get in my car and sit down :0 ) I just started crying and shaking. Eventually I calmed myself down enough to call a Uber ride (they take credit card... yay).

After coming back from the clinic with a limited duty chit, they sent me home for the rest of the day. At home I was alone, and the back pain was to sever to lay down; I had to sleep sitting up in a chair. I couldn't cook so thank goodness for Donatos delivery. I don't have any family or close friends so my loneliness skyrocketed. I just emotionally lost it but somehow managed to return to work the next few days (not by choice).

I have been working two jobs, 7 days a week. My second job is a part-time weekend job, but it is standing in one spot for the 12 hour shift Sat/Sun; with my injury at the time standing was actually more painful than limp walking, so I decided to call in that weekend. That Weekend night, 5 days after my injury, I actually had enough strength to drive down to a large lake in southern Indiana. At around 1AM I took a Kayak out into the middle of the lack with the intention of "never being found". For whatever reason, I simply sat in the Kayak in tears. Maybe it was the tranquility of the lake, no one was out there except a hooting owl in the distance. Maybe I just simply haven't given up yet.

Today my back is back to normal, but the holidays are coming and they can be hard for me to cope with. I just can't help and wonder what I would do if something "bad" actually happened to me.

Thanks for reading this, I have been wanting to write something for a couple days.
Please do not quote this text, since it feels personal to me and I might want to delete it.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and feelings. Im sorry you have been feeling down, and physical pain on top of that can make things feel worse. I'm glad your back is feeling better.

You can come here and write your feelings out whenever you want to, and also feel free to come into the chatroom for some banter anytime! It is a good place to take your mind of things.

Big ((((((HUGS)))) to you.

I had a similar type of injury a few years ago but it happened at home instead of work. I remember the horrible pain - I couldn't sit down or stand up or get in and out of my car without wincing. I coughed or sneezed one time and I felt a crack in my back. Plus my kid was about 9 months old around that time, I was a single parent, so no help - it was a nightmare. Eventually the pain went away. Glad to hear you're feeling better.

-Teresa

I've had comparable back strains and agonizing pain too, Cornell....you've got my sympathy on that. You've expressed with great clarity the experience of not having someone whom you know to drive you to the clinic; and the indifference of your employer; and the confluence of logistic problems with personal problems; and the image of paddling the kayak onto the lake at night is absolutely haunting.

OK. I'm glad you haven't given up on living and I'm glad you're in this forum 'cause I'm guessing that you've got too much in the way personal resources to waste by deliberately checking out of the world too soon. I can't really fix things for you or actually help at all, but I wish I could. I'll spare us all the line of platitudes but I'd like to keep seeing you around here.

Latest posts

Back