I don't know anybody important

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, fresia. Much like "boring" or "interesting", "important" is subjective. You can't really say for sure that a person is interesting or important because you are stuck in your own little world. Case, I do think it's hateful to deem people as replaceable because OP cannot see their importance.

I say this because I study in a public school -- public schools have bad fame around here because usually they suck -- and most of us are lower class nobodies, but a lot of students are working on research projects that have good application in the real world and you will never hear about them in your life because they all are poor, and live in a third world country. It's very easy to assume people aren't important because they aren't famous or rich, but it's a wrong assumption to make.

My point is not to say that go-getters, accomplished people are "better" than anyone, or that it means much. In the fullness of time, all fame and power disappear.

My point is simply to say that I personally don't know anybody like that, and of course will never experience that. You would think, gosh, out of all the people I have associated with, just one of them is a big shot? But no.

Just think of the thousands and thousands of movie stars, politicians, athletes, musicians, tv personalities, business people who are all associating with each other, traveling to the hot spots, making appearances, making decisions, making money, going to vip parties, etc. I think to myself, what is that like?

I think people become a part of certain circles, and then after awhile your circle narrows and ossifies.

I don't know what to say about this, I never truly thought about this. It doesn't bother me about what I'll become, I'm satisfied with who I am. There's a lot of different people who has different kinds of jobs but I think it's kinda unfair to judge others. Just wanted to put my thoughts out there.

I can say that there is only one person I know of who has ever actually "made something of themselves". A girl I knew as a kid went on to become an Olympic figure skater. I really never knew her that well or personally but that's the closest I get to "fame". It's not a big deal, I guess to some it is but I could care less about someones stature or success, it is more of the person and who they are, famous or not.

I have NO idea how the lives of any of my schoolmates went... and I have no real desire to either. I buried those particular ghosts long ago.

My dad's cousin was once the captain of Liverpool and England football teams. My cousin was diary secretary to Gordon Brown while he was Prime Minister and is now one of his family friends. That's about as 'interesting' as my 'important' people get.

As far as I'm concerned, the people of real importance are very rarely celebrated. They're the people working tirelessly for charities, social projects and in other thankless endeavours.

lonelydoc said:
My point is not to say that go-getters, accomplished people are "better" than anyone, or that it means much. In the fullness of time, all fame and power disappear.

Yes I don't understand the arguments on this. There are societal "better" / Important people out there. To deny that is crazy. It isn't hateful to talk about it. Just try to walk up to a mayor of any town and act like he is just the same as you. You have to call him mr. mayor. Or the honorable Mayor. Society makes you do this as a sign of respect to a "better" person. It doesn't matter who they really are as a person. I think that is what LonelyDoc was saying.

I don't think it is hateful to point out that I went to a prep high school that was meant to produce "winners" but almost no one, actually became a societal winner. In a way I do think that is horrible because why take a slot from someone who had that desire and needed the name of the school to achieve it. The only thing is that many of them didn't choose to go their parents made them.

Ah, man, I was thinking a lot about something like this lately. This is why it's so hard for me to find a job. Because I don't want to be just another nobody spending my whole life doing something that I couldn't care less about. It's why I had such a hard time picking a major in college. I've always wondered, where can someone go who just wants to be an interesting, successful person? What is the path you're supposed to take if you want to be a person with great ideas? Where does a person fit in who wants to be the kind of person that has a lot of neat ideas to think and talk about? Where does a person fit in who wants to write the next Star Wars or Dark Side of the Moon?

All I seemed to find was how to be a cog in someone else's machine, something that has you spending your whole life making money for someone else and having nothing interesting to show for yourself.

what is "important"? Influential? Powerful?
Lots of accomplished people with many skills mean less than zero in society

Peaches said:
what is "important"? Influential? Powerful?
Lots of accomplished people with many skills mean less than zero in society

THANK YOU!!!

I have never stated that realizing that there are people who are famous, powerful and rich and people who aren't is hateful. What did I say is that the definition of "important" OP is using is incomplete and dismiss people who are important in a less flashy way, like scientists, people who do volunteer work, etc.

OP's thinking rich, famous people are important, and others aren't by default, and are therefore replaceable, when it's not even close to the truth. The world could use a lot less bigoted and influential politicians, to be honest. For every popular actor or performer out there, there is someone less known who can do the same or even something better.

Reading comprehension goes a long way, my dears.

I'd be curious to see how much solace having a renowned or successful acquaintance would actually give you.

Mintymint, that is true, probably knowing someone famous (merely knowing them) would be meaningless.

Obviously famous and powerful people associate with famous and powerful people.

But if you knew them well enough to talk with them now and then, well, maybe that would be interesting, maybe if might even get you a perk or two.

Being born in a certain class or place, gives you things that others lack.

I find my disposition to this particular notion to be that of complete indifference. However, randomly, I'm reminded of my grandfather, who claimed to have invented the game battleship. He swore up and down that he invented the game and submitted the idea to a game maker, never heard anything from them, then a year or so later, Battleship hit the stores. It was always a funny story and made me kind of laugh, lol. He was completely serious, though.

Carry on...

Interesting...

Have you ever seen the film "Flash of Genius", TropicalStarfish? It might offer some insight into your grandfather's story. :)

Why do you want to know someone important? Not everyone has the same desire. Why don't YOU become somebody important?

-Teresa

Latest posts

Back