I don't seem to be able to have hobbies

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beans

Reaction score
I have tried playing 3 instruments, but gave up after sometime.

I don't enjoy gaming, video games, board games, etc.

I have tried photography, drawing, painting, sports, etc.

Just wondering what's wrong with me.

I'd really like to have a lasting hobby/passion. Anyone have any ideas?

I don't know how much help I can be... I can be obsessive about anything I take up.. and I hate losing so I generally take everything way more seriously than I should.

It really depends on why you give up. Setting realistic goals can be important. If you want to play guitar like a rockstar after 3 weeks, you're only in for disapointment. I've been playing for 14 or so and still suck, but that's just because I suck, most people get good. The point is take the smallest victories you can. Learn a new chord, learn a new song. honeysuckle learn how to make the people next door make a noise complaint to the police. That is where the true enjoyment is.

I think the reason you start something can be important, similar to setting goals you need to understand why you're doing it. If you take up surfing because a girl (or guy) does it, and then you lose interest in them. Then the act of surfing might remind you of that, and you'll end up hating it.

If you want to start at something fresh, look for something that inspires you about it. If it's music, then think of it as a way to express yourself, not a way to fill stadiums and get loads of groupies.
If you want to start mountain biking, don't aim to be a world champion, or a daredevil. Think about the freedom of being outdoors, think about how scary it can be to try something dangerous, or riding something a little faster than usual and how that can make you feel about yourself.

Never compare yourself to someone... it's hard not to, and I'm the worst offender, I get mad at the thought of someone beating me... but boy do I get beat.
One last hint, which is probably a little controversial, but I'll throw it out anyway as a last resort, be proud, even arrogant if you want, about being better than someone else. If all else fails you can use this as motivation. It's not a nice way to think, and it carries with it it's own set of problems. But I used to use it as a training tool for bike riding, and it worked wonders. My arrogance got me out of bed in the morning... I was never mean to anyone, and I always tried my best to be nice and helpful, but I definately looked at them as "lesser". Which I know is a shitty way to be, but as I said, it's a last resort.

so yeah, think about those things.... and just find something that suits you. The real you, the things you want to do and feel. I highly suggest music or sports, or both.
They are active and social, but can be done solo if you want. they can be expensive to start, but not so hard to maintain. Also both sports and music become harder the better you get at them. Like the better you play guitar, the more songs you can play. The better you can ride a bike, the faster you can ride a trail. It becomes more and more exciting.
But don't let me tell you... you might be a stellar poet, or artist... just do whatever you want.

Good luck!

I'm like that and for me it's a type depression or perpetual boredom. I just don't have an interest and sometimes I just can't invest the type of personal energy it takes to be dedicated to something like a hobbie.
It embarrasses me sometimes when people ask what I do for fun and I really don't have anything to tell them.
A few years back when I was really, really good I did all sorts of things like jewelry making and sewing, but that time in my life was very unique.

Depression. If you are bored with life, you are bored with everything.

MountainGhost said:
I'm like that and for me it's a type depression or perpetual boredom. I just don't have an interest and sometimes I just can't invest the type of personal energy it takes to be dedicated to something like a hobbie.
It embarrasses me sometimes when people ask what I do for fun and I really don't have anything to tell them.
A few years back when I was really, really good I did all sorts of things like jewelry making and sewing, but that time in my life was very unique.

I am happy when I'm around fun and interesting people. I like to attend certain social gatherings. I enjoy good company but I don't find long lasting commitment to 'things' except for my workout trainings.

But I hear you about perpetual boredom. I do get easily bored with 'things'. But not really with people. I could never get tired with meeting new people.

I know a lot of people who have hobbies that are depressed, especially gaming.

Also, let me say something about gaming. :D

Gaming is sort of like sensory deprivation.

well, similar, since you have to stay in one room all the time, staring at a screen.

anwyays....

here are some of the effects on prisoners in alcatraz who got sent to "the hole" (sensory deprivation dungeon) when they acted up.

-Psychosis
-Depression
-Suicidal thoughts

So in conclusion, being cooped up all the time makes you crazy. :D

I'd encourage you to keep looking.

A good place to start might be reflecting on your childhood. One thing I haven't done in a loooooooooooooong time is swimming, but I am looking forward to that point in the near future when I'll return to it. I remembered enjoying skating rinks as a child. After years and years of a hiatus from skating, I forced myself to buy some inline skates this year. So a little bit of old (skating in general, but only indoors) and the discovery of something new (inline skating and only outdoors) became one of the coolest things I've been doing with myself this year.

I used to love writing short stories as a kid. This year I started writing one and it was feeling just as wonderful as it did back then. Unfortunately, I stopped. But it's okay. I'll try again and I'll keep looking for new things to try in the meantime.

Play the numbers game, I guess. Something's bound to stick.

lalala I was going to say something to you.

Oh yes, I love reading, but constantly when I am reading I think to myself "I hate reading". So I have to make myself finish it, but then I am glad i did.

I am like this with everything. Maybe you just need to push yourself to keep at things?

Im artisttic.

Ive been playing the guitar since I was 8. The first year was very challenging to not give up. Aside from building muscels for my hang and fingers..music theory was fucken nutz.. I love music though.

When I first got into RC modeling it was a challenge and a half too...hours upon
hours and weeks just waiting just to get
5 mins of flight time.

On top of that...I freaken crashed modlels that took a long time to
build and kinda expensive...
After about 6 months...I got much better. My aircraft bilding skills improved as my understanding of aerodynamic or flight theory improved.
I love aviation.

I love to draw.. As a child I was poor..poor with not much toys.
A pencil and papers was what i
had for schooling...
I made lots of paper airplanes too :)
Im creative...I guess

As yearts gone by...T and A became
one of my favorite hobbies.

I went to guitar center yesterday.
I havnt played in a while cuase theres
a lot going in my life @ the moment.
. I totally just let it ripped. People were
like ....what the hell???? THis fucken O
dude totally rocks.lol

I made some recording of music I worte
and recorded...Look in the express yourself section....
Recording music was a challegne and a half too.. It took me almost to good year to better understand sound waves. Depth, accoustics...etc..etc
Making multi tracks. Making sure tones
and Volumes matches.
Getting a clean record sound wasnt as easy as I thought.. I got better as I went.

SophiaGrace said:
Also, let me say something about gaming. :D

Gaming is sort of like sensory deprivation.

well, similar, since you have to stay in one room all the time, staring at a screen.

its anything but Deprivation.
its more escaping the real world diving into a fantasy one.
its not staring at a screen its looking into another world.
and being a part of it for as much as thats possible.

so obviously... i disagree :p

Games, television and books all are essentially a very low level of trance, I am to understand, a kind of vague hypnosis so that the 'make believe' of it can be compelling enough for us to relate to. It may be that some individuals are completely incapable of allowing that kind of cognition in themselves.

Till the know the joy of flipping someone over their head into a turret. Then they will be hooked forever.

I don't think you really have to have a formal hobby to be satisfied. I've gone for years without having a hobby and I've also tried a lot of different things. I never thought I would take up the violin but I saw a movie last year that showed a kid playing and I thought, well, hell I can do that too. It was just a weird spark that pushed me to take it up. Eventually, you'll see or hear something that catches your eye and that's what you should do as a hobby.

Teresa

Cooking, model building, photography, drawing, a ton of stuff to do. If your depressed, then nothing will interest you unfortunately.

Many of the things you listed take a long time to become skilled at, they're a bit tedious in that regard. With games you start at the beginner level and you're not really good at it until you've spent hours racking up practice hours and points. With art you start with minimal basics and it can take years to master realism. With music, again it's hours of practice. Try things with a smaller learning curve and a quicker payout.

My suggestion, if it's practical where you live, is to take up hiking and camping. It's often social, it's as strenuous or easy as you'd like it to be, and it doesn't cost much beyond initial gear.

I think it may be depression.
Four years ago, I had deep depression with me. During the whole time, I couldn't find anything with even a little interest in. I couldn't find fresh feelings from anyone I met and anywhere I've been.

The whole time was a long and an endless nightmare.

I tried a lot of things to make a change. They never worked except making me more depressive. The depressive situation lasted until the day I met with a beauty. I just saw her at a theatre. She was standing on the stage. I was sitting on my seat far away from her. I just loved her at the very first sight.

I can't even remember her face now, but the moment I met her will be fresh forever. Because it reminded me of me loving life with no perticular reasons. And from that day on, I start to like. I mean I can finally find things I like to do.

Latest posts

Back