I got fired from my job today.

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Revengineer

Reaction score
I made it through one and a half years, and the environment had changed very drastically during that time. It seemed the company was expanding in a direction where I was no longer needed. By the end my job had become irrelevant, and I pretty much lost all motivation and stopped coming in on time. So yeah, technically I deserved it.

When people are fired at the company, they "disappear." They're called into the office and 15 minutes later they're gone, never to be seen or heard from again. They cut your access to email the minute you're out the door. They don't even allow a few minutes to explain what happened to the people you worked with. It's a horrible feeling.

This is the second time I've been let go for bad performance at work. I wonder if there's something fundamentally wrong with me. Like my brain can't handle responsibility or some honeysuckle. I'm probably in the wrong field too but it's too late to change that now. Now I'll have to explain what happened at job interviews. I don't know what I'm going to do. I don't know how I'm going to tell my parents. I feel like I've let everyone down, including myself.

I'm sitting alone in my apartment wondering how it went so wrong. I grew up surrounded by overachievers who are now busy doing great things and changing the world. Going on trips and getting married. I turn 28 in exactly one week and I feel like I've wasted my entire life. No social life, undateable, hopelessly lazy and now unemployed. I have a master's degree but can't function in the real world. How ironic.

I'm just so tired of everything right now...

Jobs come and go so live and learn. You CAN function in the real world. We all make mistakes and need to reevaluate from time to time. You might want to examine the way you think about your job. Honestly, people have been fed a lot of baloney about 'loving your job" and doing the thing you love, etc. While that may apply to some, in reality there is a lot in most every job that is boring, mundane , etc. How do you view your job? It is important to realize that it is a means to help you fulfilling your goals in life. A job provides you with the means to pay your bills, eat, heat your home and be independent. It provides you with money to start saving for retirement and also with some income to have some fun.
I tell my kids "you have to do what you don't want to do in order to do what you DO want to do". So, a job is part of that package. Obviously, you are no slouch. You completed a master's degree and an undergrad degree, that takes some doing and determination. So, you do have the ability to perservere. It sounds like you are just getting off on the wrong foot. Yes, college is an artificial world and when you go into the workplace, it is a big shock.
So, this job is gone so just learn some lesson from it and now apply it going forward. For one, showing up late, is really a bad practice and habit to get in too. You need to give your job a high priority in your life. As for "motivation", you have to motivate yourself. Yeah, there is always a lot of crap and drama and bad managment and all manner of things happening at one's job. So what? Show up on time, eager and ready to work hard and do your job.
You did let yourself down because you are much better than that. But, who among us hasn't let ourselves down or others down from time to time? We all have. Now, put one foot in front of the other and move foward. You can do it.

thumbs up for admitting your performance had something to do with this
All to often people feel an entitlement
Most places do the walk you out process ... it hopefully keeps the situation from becoming volitile ...keeps you from making a scene or bad mouthing the company or workers
They want to immediately stop your contact to coworkers and contacts ....it stops you from soliciting to a new job

Most people probably work to survive and afford to to the things they enjoy

It's not too late for you to switch to another field. You are only 27. And if you feel that you can't handle or don't want a job with a lot of responsibility, go for something lower level. Being surrounded by overachievers is stressful but who knows how they really feel about their lives inside their hearts? They may feel driven by society and those around them into living a life they don't really like. Lots of people prefer a life with less pressure.

Revengineer said:
I'm sitting alone in my apartment wondering how it went so wrong. I grew up surrounded by overachievers who are now busy doing great things and changing the world. Going on trips and getting married. I turn 28 in exactly one week and I feel like I've wasted my entire life. No social life, undateable, hopelessly lazy and now unemployed. I have a master's degree but can't function in the real world. How ironic.

I'm just so tired of everything right now...

I hear you. I feel much the same way and I have spent a lot of time lately trying to figure out where I went wrong as well. "Tired of everything" is essentially my default setting and I'm struggling to stop feeling that way.

Revengineer said:
I made it through one and a half years, and the environment had changed very drastically during that time. It seemed the company was expanding in a direction where I was no longer needed. By the end my job had become irrelevant, and I pretty much lost all motivation and stopped coming in on time. So yeah, technically I deserved it.

This is the second time I've been let go for bad performance at work. I wonder if there's something fundamentally wrong with me. Like my brain can't handle responsibility or some honeysuckle. I'm probably in the wrong field too but it's too late to change that now. Now I'll have to explain what happened at job interviews. I don't know what I'm going to do. I don't know how I'm going to tell my parents. I feel like I've let everyone down, including myself.

Well, being late might have gotten you fired according to the letter of the law. But rather than to say that you can't handle responsibility or something like that, I think it's more important to figure out why you were late so like you said, you can figure out where you're going wrong. The lateness is just the surface of the problem, but what is the underlying reason for it? You said it was because you lost all motivation. Why did you lose this motivation? Because you said your job had become irrelevant. And I could be wrong but it sounds to me that your heart wasn't in this job all that much anyway. I think it's hard for a person to have much motivation for either things they don't really want to do, want to do but think it's impossible, or otherwise think that there's no point. In this case it might have been a little of all of these, you not wanting to do the job, and feeling like it didn't matter anyway because you said your job had been made irrelevant.

I've been in this situation myself, where I was also fired for being late. The job was terrible - it paid next to nothing, it was mind-numbingly boring and had absolutely nothing to do with any of my goals or anything I was interested in. I had a hard time there, because I didn't really want to be there and couldn't see how it fit in to any long-term plan for my life. It made me feel angry, frustrated, and hopeless. But if I had a better job, if it paid more, if it appealed to my interests somehow, if I felt it was in some way important, if I could see it as some means of getting to a higher purpose or that I was getting somewhere, I might have done better.

I don't think there is anything wrong with you, or that you can't handle responsibility or anything like that. I think you were probably in the wrong job for you. I know how hard it is to find a job that you love, but you might be able to find something you like at least somewhat, something you feel is important, or something you find interesting or worthwhile in some way, or if you can't find anything you like, then maybe you have a goal of some kind that can keep you going. You'd probably be more motivated to show up on time to a job that you either like more, feel respected at more, pays more, is in some way aligned with your goals or any of the above. I think you need a stronger motivator than fear, and that it's not really a good motivator to make a person want to get better. With fear, a person will do the minimum to get through the day and they will do so resentfully. With actually liking or otherwise seeing the worth in what you do, you might want to do it of your own free will.

You said you think you're probably in the wrong field. Do you have any ideas on the right field for you? Why do you think it is too late to get into that field?

I wish I knew the right field for me. I'm still trying to figure that out myself.

Revengineer said:
I pretty much lost all motivation and stopped coming in on time. So yeah, technically I deserved it.

Kudos to you for admitting you were part of the problem but it sounds like you didn't want the job and thus got yourself fired so you wouldn't have to go. In terms of explaining to employers what happened can't you say they didn't challenge you and thus they decided it was best if they let you go.

Is there something in your field that isn't the kind of work you are doing now? Such as if you are working for a private company see about working for a government or some such. Sometimes things can be a crazy different culture.

A wise man once told me: If you never get fired, you're doing it wrong.
This is true.

I had to fire someone on yesterday because the guy literally came from the bar to work and he was heavy intoxicated. I put him on notice in the past about him coming to work tipsy.

His wife called me today and told me I had to apologize to his kids for taking food out of their mouths. I told her to apologize to my staff for putting the work force in danger of anything going wrong for saucing it up before his day at work.

your post sums up why i'm scared of growing into an adult in the workforce and having responsibities. good thing i have a little time

You can ask your questions and answer other people's questions here: (SPAM) – it possible without any registration there, logins and passwords. In the future, this system will work on all languages. I found there a lot about it.

Latest posts

Back